handicap transport questions

mom2myrugrat

first time I am traveling to Tampa with a family member who requires a mobility scooter to get around, we are flying to Tampa the night before, I need all options on how I can get her to cruise port with her scooter, as we wont have a vehicle. Never done this before so I am preparing everything now for next summer, I thought about Uber but not sure they would accommodate her scooter and all our luggage... So 1,2,3 go hit me with all options

Lots of hotels near the TPA airport (Westshore area) offer free airport shuttles - I would reach out to them to see if they can accommodate your scooter requirements.  Hotels in the Rocky Point area (Chase Suites, etc.) used to offer packages with both airport and port shuttles - I would check with them and if they cannot accommodate ask if they can suggest a local provider who can help.

Not many shuttles suggested on this board in Tampa because Uber/Lyft and cabs are so easy.  With your scooter requirement this is one opportunity when I would suggest seeing what options the cruise line can offer to meet your needs.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, mom2myrugrat said:

first time I am traveling to Tampa with a family member who requires a mobility scooter to get around, we are flying to Tampa the night before, I need all options on how I can get her to cruise port with her scooter, as we wont have a vehicle. Never done this before so I am preparing everything now for next summer, I thought about Uber but not sure they would accommodate her scooter and all our luggage... So 1,2,3 go hit me with all options

@mom2myrugrat

Howdy Cindy! emo22.gif 

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Disabled Cruise Travel forum where it will be on-topic. That's where cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences. Browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Cindy

We have been traveling with a scooter for many years.  My first suggestion is to go a day early.

The hotels that offer transfers from the airport MUST accommodate a traveler with disabilities also.  That being said, they may not be able to offer the same van/shuttle that they use for most guests.  In this case they NEED to send a cab/shuttle that can accommodate the guest and pay for it.  We usually can go on the same shuttle since my husband can take a few steps up in the vehicle and they usually have a trailer for the luggage and they just put his scooter in with the bags.  Be sure to rent a H/C room. 

If you cannot go early and stay over, then you can hire a cab or Uber or Lyft and request the LARGE SUV or other large vehicle.  Sometimes the drivers have not been accommodating about lifting the scooter in and out, but usually they can do it if the scooter is not too heavy and will fit.  Our scooter folds to fit into the luggage area. 

Of course, there is the option of using the cruiseline transfers and then you would have to make sure they are aware of your need for transport of the scooter along with the passengers. 

We have been all over the world (Russia, China, South America, etc) and generally find that people are helpful and find a way to accommodate us with the scooter.

Good luck and if you have any other questions that I can help with, you can email me at helen at cruisewithus dot biz

Helen

• 4 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, CRUISEWITHH said:

Cindy

We have been traveling with a scooter for many years.  My first suggestion is to go a day early.

The hotels that offer transfers from the airport MUST accommodate a traveler with disabilities also.  That being said, they may not be able to offer the same van/shuttle that they use for most guests.  In this case they NEED to send a cab/shuttle that can accommodate the guest and pay for it.  We usually can go on the same shuttle since my husband can take a few steps up in the vehicle and they usually have a trailer for the luggage and they just put his scooter in with the bags.  Be sure to rent a H/C room. 

If you cannot go early and stay over, then you can hire a cab or Uber or Lyft and request the LARGE SUV or other large vehicle.  Sometimes the drivers have not been accommodating about lifting the scooter in and out, but usually they can do it if the scooter is not too heavy and will fit.  Our scooter folds to fit into the luggage area. 

Of course, there is the option of using the cruiseline transfers and then you would have to make sure they are aware of your need for transport of the scooter along with the passengers. 

We have been all over the world (Russia, China, South America, etc) and generally find that people are helpful and find a way to accommodate us with the scooter.

Good luck and if you have any other questions that I can help with, you can email me at helen at cruisewithus dot biz

Helen

I agree with Helen.  One of the things you did didn't mention was the type of scooter.  Like Helen, we have a fold up scooter, and pretty much use any taxi, or uber or train, subway etc we want.  But if you have a heavy scooter, than you will need to plan a little more.  Most areas have a taxi's that are vans, and can handle things.  Communications are always important.  You said from the airport to a hotel.  Try getting a hotel near the cruise port.  Many are walkable in the Tampa area, thus no need for transportation.  I can handle two suitcases and my wife can scoot!  

Good news is that I never had an issue at any airport getting a taxi