passport. upgrading from card to book

luckyinpa

2016 i got the card, now i need the book. the form to apply says

You are also eligible to use this form if you currently have a U.S. passport book and/or card that complies with the previously listed criteria, and would like to obtain a alternative product (U.S. passport book and/or card) for the first time. However, you must submit the product you currently have (U.S. passport book and/or card) with this application. If your U.S. passport book and/or card has been lost, stolen, damaged, or mutilated, you must apply on the DS-11 application form as specified below

---------

so am i reading that right that i can get a new pic taken but just mail in the card and they give me a book now (i assume mail my card back as well then? 

18 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

2016 i got the card, now i need the book. the form to apply says

You are also eligible to use this form if you currently have a U.S. passport book and/or card that complies with the previously listed criteria, and would like to obtain a alternative product (U.S. passport book and/or card) for the first time. However, you must submit the product you currently have (U.S. passport book and/or card) with this application. If your U.S. passport book and/or card has been lost, stolen, damaged, or mutilated, you must apply on the DS-11 application form as specified below

---------

so am i reading that right that i can get a new pic taken but just mail in the card and they give me a book now (i assume mail my card back as well then? 

You would send in your renewal application, new photo and current passport card (and of course a check for the fee). You should receive your passport and your passport card back in separate mailing. (And the same would apply if someone wanted to apply for the card and already have the book.)

20 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

cool this is great. saves me from setting up and paying for appointment to get a book. i'm glad they realize if you have a card, you qualify for a book 🙂

Sometimes even the government gets it right.😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sparks answered your question but I'm just throwing it out there,,,, why not both?

This is my thought and I can totally respect if your thoughts are different.

I have both. Why?

I have the card with me anytime I'm out and about.

A 2nd form of ID if ever needed.

When I fly domestically, the passport card is my "Real ID".

I live in Washington State, so if I want to head up to Canada for the weekend, my card is sufficient.

When I cruise the Caribbean, my book is in the safe, my card is on me while I'm off the ship.

When I'm International, my book is at the hotel locked up and my card (internationally recognized form of identification) is with me at all times.

The additional cost is much less than what I spend on a Drinks Package.🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, klfrodo said:

Sparks answered your question but I'm just throwing it out there,,,, why not both?

This is my thought and I can totally respect if your thoughts are different.

I have both. Why?

I have the card with me anytime I'm out and about.

A 2nd form of ID if ever needed.

When I fly domestically, the passport card is my "Real ID".

I live in Washington State, so if I want to head up to Canada for the weekend, my card is sufficient.

When I cruise the Caribbean, my book is in the safe, my card is on me while I'm off the ship.

When I'm International, my book is at the hotel locked up and my card (internationally recognized form of identification) is with me at all times.

The additional cost is much less than what I spend on a Drinks Package.🤣

Washington state is 1 of 4 states to issue enhanced driver's license which can be used for border crossings into/from Canada.  Just curious why you would need the passport card in addition to your DL for crossing the border into Canada.  I am in Texas and I have to use my passport card or passport book to cross into Mexico by land.

Edited by Texas Jake

1 hour ago, Texas Jake said:

Washington state is 1 of 4 states to issue enhanced driver's license which can be used for border crossings into/from Canada.  Just curious why you would need the passport card in addition to your DL for crossing the border into Canada.  I am in Texas and I have to use my passport card or passport book to cross into Mexico by land.

One has to apply for an Enhanced Driver's License, they are not issued automatically to people. We chose to get an EDL rather than a passport card because it's one less thing to carry. 

• 6 months later...

We have both book and card, as it makes traveling easier. Enhanced drivers license can cost more then regular dl (no sense in duplicating) and passport cards Have longer lives. Be aware that you must have booklet to board flights in Canada and Mexico. 

Edited by snichols23
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, snichols23 said:

We have both book and card, as it makes traveling easier. Enhanced drivers license can cost more then regular dl (no sense in duplicating) and passport cards Have longer lives. Be aware that you must have booklet to board flights in Canada and Mexico. 

We have to be careful with our terms. Only 5 states currently issue Enhanced Drivers Licenses (EDL) and Kentucky isn't one of them. A REAL ID compliant license, which will be required for domestic air travel eventually, might possibly cost more in some jurisdictions (it doesn't cost more than a regular license here in Vermont), but whether or not that is worth the added expense of a passport card is an open question and every traveler will have a different answer. (I pay $25 extra for my EDL and it's one less document that I have to carry if I want to sojourn up in Canada, which is 8 miles from my door. During non-COVID times, of course.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 8:49 AM, Texas Jake said:

There are some secure govt. facilities that occasionally require 200% ID check when entering for my job when I was still working.

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, snichols23 said:

Kentucky just recently began issuing REAL ID

Just keep in mind that "Real ID Drivers Licenses" are not the same thing as an "Enhanced Drivers License."  I think nearly all States are now issued "Real ID Licenses" which meet the TSA requirement (not yet implemented) for an acceptable ID for domestic flights.  

The thing to remember is that you cannot drive into Canada with just a Real ID and would still need a Passport Card or a Passport Book.

So here is the easy thing to avoid any confusion.  Just get yourself a Passport Book and take it whenever you leave the USA :).  No confusion and no disappointment (in not having the appropriate document).   That being said, these days you need to also check for Visa Requirements, Vaccine Requirements, and COVID testing requirements.  Tis a mad mad mad world.

You want madness consider what it now takes just to fly to Barbados.  You would need a valid Passport Book and a valid return ticket (to your country of residence).  You would need  a negative RT-PCR test (from a certified/approved medical lab) for which the sample was taken no more then 3 days prior to your flight.  Keep in mind that a fast PCR Test, Lamp Test, or Antigen test is not good enough.  You would need proof of full vaccination (with the 2nd shot being at least 2 weeks prior to your trip),  You would need to complete the BimSafe app and online customs.immigration form at least 24 hours before your visit.  You would need to be tested in Barbados (upon arrival or at an approved hotel/resort) and stay isolated until you get your negative results).   And then you would need to get another test (Antigen is adequate) within 3 days of your flight back to the USA.   And there are an entirely different set of rules if you are not vaccinated.    And this is just for one island/country.

Ain't travel fun?

Hank

Doesn’t cost more in GA.  In fact, when I had to change my address in 2014, the new one was Real ID.  And nothing more when I renewed in 2019.  In fact, that one was free because I’m retired military.  As is my car registration.  EM

• 2 months later...

I had to pay a one-time upgrade fee in PA for my REAL ID license but the renewal cost will be the same as for a regular license.
Easier than just using a passport for all travel because I don't want to deal with safeguardnig a passport when I'm flying domestically.