Cool Lay Up's

Laszlo

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

More of the hotel staff, any security staff, and any senior supervisors who may remain.  Manning will be down to a few deck and engine officers and crew, and just a handful of galley types to feed the remaining crew.  Minimum time can be anything, the longer it lasts the more has to be done to restart.

In a cold layup, there is no power on the ship (hence cold), so manning goes down to a couple of people to make security and fire rounds daily.  No cruise ship will enter a cold layup, as they would require significant investment to seal up the ship and dehumidify it, to keep mold and mildew from destroying the hotel.  Also, ship's systems need to be "mothballed" (drain all water systems, purge salt from sea water piping (fresh water flushing or nitrogen inerting), fuel removal and tank cleaning, engine mothballing like special oil to prevent rusting, etc, etc, etc.

It's a shame they cannot do like the airlines and park them out in the desert for preservation!  😄

Annotation 2020-09-01 201159.png

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

It's a shame they cannot do like the airlines and park them out in the desert for preservation!  😄

Airplanes also have similar procedures different levels of parking/shutdown.

16 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Manning will be down to a few deck and engine officers and crew, and just a handful of galley types to feed the remaining crew. 

Minimum time can be anything, the longer it lasts the more has to be done to restart.

how much does a drydock cost to re-certify for a 2k passenger ship?

for a 4k passenger ship?

Edited by fstuff1

16 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

@chengkp75 The Gem is already drydocking, then set to sail November 20th - my cruise. Does the fact that it's doing the drydock after this so-called cool layup right now give me some hope? I have not been following CC here for quite awhile, and this whole Cool Layup thing confuses me.

My 2 cents. Obviously I have no inside information. But they have been shut down since March. It's 6 months later and they are moving further into "not operating" by sending more crew home and moving the ships to cool layup. They are not doing that because they anticipate cruising in a few months. Once they get to the point that they anticipate cruising in a 1-2 months they will be working full time to get all the boats re-certified, re-hire all the crew, re-order all the food and supplies they need. If they are actively moving in the other direction, I would not take that as a good sign for any 2020 cruise. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

how much does a drydock cost to re-certify for a 2k passenger ship?

for a 4k passenger ship?

Wildly variable, depending on the ship, its age, what certificates are needed to be completed, where the shipyard is, and a whole lot more.  But, ship size really doesn't matter that much in cost.  Bare bones statutory inspection would likely be $200-300k.

11 minutes ago, kismet618 said:

Wouldn’t any dry dock also include whatever retrofitting may be required as per any new CDC guidelines...air filtration, larger medical/quarantine facilities, etc.?

Not if the lines were not intending to meet those requirements, hoping they will be relaxed.  Also, none of that would require a "drydock", merely a period in a shipyard.

For ships that are paired up they don't even need to maintain a galley or housekeeping; only watchstanders on layed up ship who all reside on the paired ship.  They can even use/remove all stores from the layed up ship so don't need to provide refrigeration.  In this case, two can live as cheaply as one.

Marc

21 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

@chengkp75 The Gem is already drydocking, then set to sail November 20th - my cruise. Does the fact that it's doing the drydock after this so-called cool layup right now give me some hope? I have not been following CC here for quite awhile, and this whole Cool Layup thing confuses me.

Where did you hear that?  I thought they might cancel expensive drydocks (renovations, new stuff etc) I hope you are right and they just moved the drydock earlier and then will start up cruising...booked on the Gem in March 2021

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Wildly variable, depending on the ship, its age, what certificates are needed to be completed, where the shipyard is, and a whole lot more.  But, ship size really doesn't matter that much in cost.  Bare bones statutory inspection would likely be $200-300k.

Hey Chief, question for you.  What's the difference between cold and cool layup?  I know cold, but never heard cool before.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Hey Chief, question for you.  What's the difference between cold and cool layup?  I know cold, but never heard cool before.  

Yeah, the cruise lines are coming up with all kinds of jargon these days.  It appears that a "cool" lay up means that there is still power on the ship, but that manning is reduced below statutory minimums, so the ship is "officially" "laid up", as it can't legally move, and without the minimum manning, all class certificates become dormant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

$49.95 if you just want the oil and filter changed.

OMG,, Where?   LOL.. More like $107 for Mobile 1 around here. Ok, all kidding aside. 1. Ships in going now into cold (Luke warm) storage tells me they have no clue when re-start is. Not accusing them. Business decisions are made. My opinion here (and 6 bucks gets me a Starbucks so ), 2021 Q2 is re-start on a limited basis. Peace. 

3 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Isn't it possible that this is just an extension of what happened in April?

It feels, to me at least, a recognition they are no nearer to knowing the comeback date and they are cooling down for the long haul.....my gut feeling is we are at least 9 months away from NCL cruising, CDC will see to that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

He explained that back in post #21. 

Yeah, that's my bad.  I went back and read the whole thread again, and I see it now.  

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yeah, the cruise lines are coming up with all kinds of jargon these days.  It appears that a "cool" lay up means that there is still power on the ship, but that manning is reduced below statutory minimums, so the ship is "officially" "laid up", as it can't legally move, and without the minimum manning, all class certificates become dormant.

Thank you.  That's kinda what I figured.....a few steps shy of a mothball.  The crew thing is a big deal though; one, because they'll seek other employment and two, as you said, the class certification and hull inspection issues.  

Not related to cruising, but one of our heavy icebreakers...POLAR SEA...is in cold storage now.  It's going to cost a fortune to get that old gal operational again.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Not related to cruising, but one of our heavy icebreakers...POLAR SEA...is in cold storage now.  It's going to cost a fortune to get that old gal operational again.  

im assuming global warming thus not needed for the upcoming winter?

7 hours ago, Knicks1130 said:

Where did you hear that?  I thought they might cancel expensive drydocks (renovations, new stuff etc) I hope you are right and they just moved the drydock earlier and then will start up cruising...booked on the Gem in March 2021

Always the plan. Gem was supposed to do runs out of Boston this fall, then drydock in Boston until the 11/20 cruise. Up until last December, the drydock was going to go until 11/30, but they cut out 10 days to add another sailing. I've been following the Gem this whole time because I was originally on the 11/30 and had to cancel due to life changes. Once the new one was added, I jumped on it. The Gem is absolutely due for drydock (last one was fall 2015), so no reason to believe that's getting cancelled. Just not sure how the cool layup fits in. I guess we just wait and see.

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So is it safe to speculate that it will take longer to get ships completely ready to sail again. I believe you said about 4 weeks before, can we expect 6 weeks now that they have entered the "cool" stage.

Can't imagine purveyors wanting to sell to companies knowing their financial situations.

37 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

So is it safe to speculate that it will take longer to get ships completely ready to sail again. I believe you said about 4 weeks before, can we expect 6 weeks now that they have entered the "cool" stage.

Can't imagine purveyors wanting to sell to companies knowing their financial situations.

I guess that would be a safe assumption.  It depends on how long the "cool" lay up lasts, the particular ship and it's class status at the time of lay up, the availability of shipyards, surveyors, and whether the "paperwork" can be completed while the crewing process is underway.  Once they get the marine crew back to statutory minimums, the regulatory work can start, while they work on getting hotel crew back, and cleaning and storing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1