Viking Ocean Northern Lights Cruise Cancellation

JD3711

Hey, @JD3711 and welcome.

For those who might be wondering about the topic of this thread and what might have sparked it, it was reported in another thread that it looks like Viking Star will be doing those Northern Lights (if indeed operations have been resumed by then).

The Viking Website still shows Venus as the ship but it seems that the Bergen port authority does not have a port call for Venus until May but does have calls for Star in February and March, coinciding with the dates for Northern Lights. So, even though it hasn't been announced, we are guessing that is what will be happening in February and March.

See posts: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2758250-where-does-viking-dock-in-bergen/?do=findComment&comment=60324284

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2743308-viking-venus-what-is-the-status-of-her-build/?do=findComment&comment=60324330

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 8:03 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Well, all I can say is, it'll sure be interesting to listen to Tor's next update on viking.tv   

I am tracking announcement and cancellation dates, and the fewest days in advance of affected cruises that Tor has announced extensions of the pause (after the first one, of course) was 31 days, made on 30 March. The last one, on 12 August, was  49 days in advance of affected cruises. The other two announcements were made 34 and 54 days in advance of affected cruises. If Viking must announce a further extension the pause in operations, I would therefore expect it no later than late November, but it could possibly be early that month.

Yes, I am a data nerd, and I have the spreadsheets to prove it!

• Like 3

Good information.

I'm sure there are active back channel conversations among cruise companies, airlines, national health directorates, hotel groups, etc. Hammering out the "what if" and "how about" aspects of travel. The Norway experience with Hurtigruten has to be a sobering example for well meaning folks.

The restrictions on US travelers may be a lingering problem as countries balance competing national interests.

• 3 weeks later...

Upon further review of the "pause" announcement dates, I offer the following to refine my earlier prognostication:

I expect an announcement of a pause extension - if Viking decides to extend - for early January 2021 cruises between 8 November and 1 December 2020, and it will be for an additional 60 days (approximately).

We are booked on two cruises back-to-back with departure dates 26 January (Iberian Explorer) and 2 February (In Search of the Northern Lights). If Viking does not extend the operational pause by 1 December, I will have to start buying Arctic clothing, or confront the age-old question: "to go, or not to go." Ay, there's the rub! (with apologies to Will S.)

Actually, I have no expectation that either cruise will sail as scheduled, based on the current pandemic situation. But, as I tell my wife about a lot of things we have to do now: "I can live with that."

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, What was that? said:

"I can live with that."

OK...you DO like that phrase...I can tell (from the other thread 😃). My dad had a similar one..."I can do that"....

I suspect we might hear from Tor earlier than what you're saying...possibly this month yet, given that his last one on viking tv was in August.  I, too, have no expectation that the Venus will sail as planned, especially with what was reported on the other thread about Italy extending their ban on travel.

Can't believe something as unique and once-in-a-lifetime as this invitational cruise came along for us and now might well never take place. Total bummer. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

I also posted on another thread:

I now offer for your amusement my refined prognostication of Tor's next announcement regarding resumption of Viking's cruise operations, or a further extension of the "pause": Wednesday, 18 November 2020, and if the announcement is an extension of the pause, it will be for at least until the end of February 2021.

This is based on an analysis of the pattern of prior announcements, and NOT on any official or leaked information I may have received, because I don't have any inside contacts at Viking! Please regard this only as an idle speculation and just because it is based on "data", remember what they say about the stock market: "past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Unless I'm right - then I will change my screen name to "Carnac the Magnificent!"

My guess is a vaccine will be out before that time.  I'm in the Pfizer vaccine trial and have a 50% chance of having the real vaccine.( I think I got the real one because it hurt and made me very tired... 2nd shot was worse than the 1st one) They are telling us (all the folks in the trial) that if we didn't get the real vaccine they will give us the real one by the end of this month.  The plan is to roll the vaccine out to older folks, teachers, police and health care workers in November.  Not sure what they are telling us is the truth but that is what they are saying.  If I was Viking I sure wouldn't be canceling into next year.?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, What was that? said:

I now offer for your amusement my refined prognostication of Tor's next announcement regarding resumption of Viking's cruise operations, or a further extension of the "pause": Wednesday, 18 November 2020, and if the announcement is an extension of the pause, it will be for at least until the end of February 2021.

This is based on an analysis of the pattern of prior announcements, and NOT on any official or leaked information I may have received, because I don't have any inside contacts at Viking! Please regard this only as an idle speculation and just because it is based on "data", remember what they say about the stock market: "past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Unless I'm right - then I will change my screen name to "Carnac the Magnificent!"

With this post, we're gonna change that martini glass to a Like A Crystal Ball, But for Production CostsLike A Crystal Ball, But for  Production Costs

3 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

My guess is a vaccine will be out before that time.  I'm in the Pfizer vaccine trial and have a 50% chance of having the real vaccine.( I think I got the real one because it hurt and made me very tired... 2nd shot was worse than the 1st one) They are telling us (all the folks in the trial) that if we didn't get the real vaccine they will give us the real one by the end of this month.  The plan is to roll the vaccine out to older folks, teachers, police and health care workers in November.  Not sure what they are telling us is the truth but that is what they are saying.  If I was Viking I sure wouldn't be canceling into next year.?

Interesting article in the NYT today on the vaccines and testing. Link followed from another website, so I hope it works.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/12/health/covid-vaccines.html?referringSource=articleShare

If the link doesn't work, 10/12/20 by Carl Zimmer entitled:

image.png.43490a56f3c959bed886e0061cbb5215.png

It's going to be interesting how Pfizers vaccine turns out.  If I got a vaccine that is 60% efficacy it sure is a lot better than what I am right now.  It looks like Pfizers is going to push it out as soon as possible.  I understand Hawaii is going to have an app that they scan when you enter to see if you have had a test within 72 hours.  Assuming they will put it on the app if you have had a vaccine.  I'm sure airlines and other counties will follow 

On 10/12/2020 at 8:27 AM, What was that? said:

I apologize for cluttering up this topic (again) but I omitted what is probably the most significant reason for Viking to make another announcement about operations before the end of the year:

If Viking intends to resume operations after the end of the current pause - after 31 December 2020 - they will have to describe what precautions will be taken, requirements for passengers (and crew), and a host of other considerations. In short, some kind of an announcement is due by next month at the latest.

How did I forget to include that in my original post? Maybe it was the martinis (but it was probably just old age...).

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL....we need these light-hearted moments during this difficult time! 

Yes, and  more conversation about the cruises themselves. Now is a really good time to be sharing information about the cruises we have done and solid information that people are looking for -- Viking tours, shuttles, highlights, regrets. Back to the nitty gritty.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 4:12 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Can't believe something as unique and once-in-a-lifetime as this invitational cruise came along for us and now might well never take place. Total bummer. 

image.jpeg.fdd482d8f22082cb512679dd7bace64c.jpeg

Well (adjusting my Carnac hat), I would guess that Viking might re-schedule the invitational cruise to get Venus to the proper port after operations resume. It would provide Viking an opportunity to get some of the kinks out of the on-board experience with a test load of (non-paying) guests.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:27 AM, What was that? said:

I continue to review and refine my "understanding" of Viking's operational pause announcements, and this morning have come to realize that I may have overlooked a key element of Tor's timing. Therefore, I am revising my "refined prognostication". I now believe he will announce a two-month (at least) extension of the operational pause on 11 November.

You heard it here first!