Passport renewal

Izena

Just saw on news about passport renewal delays.  
I sent my passport for renewal in early March. ( at the beginning of covid)   I got my new passport at the end of July (20 weeks later)

I didn’t have any need for the passport but was getting worried it was lost at the bottom of a large bin.  
I live in Texas so  application sent to Austin.

i can’t  imagine what the back log is at this time.  I was already planning on starting the process all over  with a birth certificate.

i don’t know if it matters but I suggest taking pictures of your current passport prior to sending.

Sent mine in for renewal about a month later than you did, and got back end of July also (16 weeks).  Have been following this continuously on a Trip Advisor forum, and it would seem that the State department may be gaining ground on their backlog.  Of course for most it doesn't much matter how long it takes...there's no place we can go to use the passport! 

• 3 weeks later...

Passport isn't due for renewal until early 2022. Now not sure how early to start since hope to need it in June and September of 2021. Also, applied for Global Entry on last December 1 and still haven't even gotten approval to apply for an interview from that.  Maybe there's hope!

13 hours ago, Suitcasefull said:

Passport isn't due for renewal until early 2022. Now not sure how early to start since hope to need it in June and September of 2021. Also, applied for Global Entry on last December 1 and still haven't even gotten approval to apply for an interview from that.  Maybe there's hope!

Glad I saw this thread, although I thought we were pretty safe with our renewals.  Just checked and we are good until April, 2022.  Hopefully there will be some semblance of "normality" by then.

NRayH

5 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

Hopefully there will be some semblance of "normality" by then.

I certainly hope so!  Timing is my problem.  Renewal due in Feb. 22.  Back from one trip in June, scared about not having enough time to renew before September trip but that means it will have less than six months left on passport. The way things are working (or not working), no confidence in even paying for express service (or whatever they call it.) Guess will see what next summer brings; assuming travel is even an option!  Stay well.

14 hours ago, Izena said:

I’m going to be positive and say things will have start returning to a semi normal Routine By next year.  

Izena,

We, and I assume many others, most certainly hope you are correct in your prediction.

NRayH