Next announcement of cancellations

lindylooellalouise

The balance due date for our November Iona cruise has just passed.  We booked using FCC so no money to physically pay.  No updated invoice from PandO, and the (incorrect) balance shows as still due when checking online.

So the admin side is still not good - but that's nothing new.

Looking to the future, balance dates are due for Christmas cruises around 13 Sept.  It has been mentioned that cancelling Christmas cruises is very emotive and that PandO would be loathe to do so.  If PandO are going to cancel Christmas cruises, I feel that ought to happen before 13 Sept.  It would be extremely unfair on pax to make them pay for a Christmas cruise, then cancel, and make them wait x weeks to get a refund so that they can pay for an alternative Christmas holiday.  But as has been seen with the whole refund fiasco, PandO don't seem to be perturbed by such fallout.

It has been said on other threads that PandO are looking to sail Iona this year.  Previous info from that poster has proved to very accurate.  Of course what they are looking to do and what actually happens may well be different things.  Iona was due to have been handed over to PandO last week.  That didn't happen.  Iona's first cruise does not go until 14 November, so there is probably still enough time for her to be ready.  Artwork for the public areas has been delivered, so presumably other things that need to be done are in hand, if not already sorted.

I would love to be on Iona in November.  Unfortunately, I increasingly see that not happening.  But that is only my opinion and I would love to be proved wrong!

From what I've read, I do think that January is realistic.  If our November cruise doesn't happen, might see you onboard!

• Like 1

I am not totally convinced Britannia cruise in May that is our next cruise will go ahead and certainly wouldnt go on a cruise at the moment with no ports of call unless organised excursions (rumour) and certainly wouldnt want to walk around the ship all day social distancing and wearing a mask that would not be enjoyable IMO. My personal main hope is that P&O i.e. Carnival sell Arcadia before our cruise on her in August and then we will have a clear run until November on QV which hopefully by then a vaccine will be available and there will be some sort of normality returning to cruising.

• Like 1

Interesting comment from another social media site, where a poster was told by P&O that if he did not pay the deposit, he would not be defaulting, and if the cruise was subsequently cancelled he would get his deposit back. No mention as to how long he could wait before finally paying the final balance. Personally,  unless I had this reassurance in writing, I wouldn't believe it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Interesting comment from another social media site, where a poster was told by P&O that if he did not pay the deposit, he would not be defaulting, and if the cruise was subsequently cancelled he would get his deposit back. No mention as to how long he could wait before finally paying the final balance. Personally,  unless I had this reassurance in writing, I wouldn't believe it.

Another poster on FB had just been talking to them about an FCC problem and was told there’s a big meeting next week and to hang on for 10 days before making any decisions and December cruises weren’t looking too good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Wowzz

Bin tired!

I think you mean the balance? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manx buoy said:

Another poster on FB had just been talking to them about an FCC problem and was told there’s a big meeting next week and to hang on for 10 days before making any decisions and December cruises weren’t looking too good

Timings sort of fit in with cancelling Christmas cruises before balance due dates.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I am still waiting for either an FCC or a returned deposit for cruise on October 18th!

I'm still waiting for an FCC on a July cruise on Iona that was cancelled in April and another from the sale of Oceana - neither show on my account.

25 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

I'm still waiting for an FCC on a July cruise on Iona that was cancelled in April and another from the sale of Oceana - neither show on my account.

I am still waiting in respect of an April cruise on Ventura cancelled in March, and a May 2021 cruise on Oceana cancelled when they sold her. Neither were on my P&O account when I booked a Jan 2022 cruise a couple of weeks ago. Definately a trend emerging here. ☹️

Interesting that no contributer to this thread has expressed an opinion that the cancellations already announced will be the last. Is there in fact anyone who believes that P&O will recommence cruising in mid November when the current pause expires?

9 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Interesting that no contributer to this thread has expressed an opinion that the cancellations already announced will be the last. Is there in fact anyone who believes that P&O will recommence cruising in mid November when the current pause expires?

Not a chance of them restarting this year will be similar to Cunard I think unless Carnival intend to use P&O as the guinea pigs for Cunard

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Denarius said:

April is the unofficial expected date, but obviously they are hopeful of sailing sooner, but seems unlikely. 

Associated trades locally are not expecting anything until next spring. 

Andy 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

Not a chance of them restarting this year will be similar to Cunard I think unless Carnival intend to use P&O as the guinea pigs for Cunard

I think P&O will sail long before Cunard because they only have 3 ships and traditionally first 3 months of every year is either a World cruise or long cruise for all 3 ships and the logistics to organise world cruises yet is unrealistic. Think P&O will start with short cruises but whether it will be this year or early 2021 is anyone's guess.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

I understand that there will be a decision taken on the rest of the calendar year 2020 cruises in the next couple of weeks. The current plan on the table is still to try from mid-November with substantive Christmas cruises. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Christmas cruises have not seen the cancellation rates that other cruises have in advance of final payments being due (but there is still time).

A very good source of mine tells me that P&O held back from cancelling through to March 2021 when they announced the world cruise cancellation because they believe that they can sail. If they try to, it does not mean it will definitely 100% happen - you'll note that both Costa and Aida were held back later than originally announced.

Do I think it will be the last cancellations - no I don't. I think those cruises in late November are unlikely to sail. You may get a selection of shorter cruises in that period though. I still doubt that Arcadia and Aurora will sail with passengers before March 2021.

I do think that if Iona doesn't sail on her Christmas cruise then you can probably count her out of passenger service until her Norwegian Fjord season starts in early April 2021.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

I understand that there will be a decision taken on the rest of the calendar year 2020 cruises in the next couple of weeks. The current plan on the table is still to try from mid-November with substantive Christmas cruises. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Christmas cruises have not seen the cancellation rates that other cruises have in advance of final payments being due (but there is still time).

A very good source of mine tells me that P&O held back from cancelling through to March 2021 when they announced the world cruise cancellation because they believe that they can sail. If they try to, it does not mean it will definitely 100% happen - you'll note that both Costa and Aida were held back later than originally announced.

Do I think it will be the last cancellations - no I don't. I think those cruises in late November are unlikely to sail. You may get a selection of shorter cruises in that period though. I still doubt that Arcadia and Aurora will sail with passengers before March 2021.

I do think that if Iona doesn't sail on her Christmas cruise then you can probably count her out of passenger service until her Norwegian Fjord season starts in early April 2021.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Well we will remain realistic about our Iona cruise on 12th December but secretly hopeful we end up on the maiden with a fab upgrade as we are in a deluxe balcony on select price and the only remaining cabin of a cancelled wedding 😂 

One thing which I find interesting is that I have yet to receive my first "friendly reminder" automated email about paying the balance for my cruise to P&O. 

Previously, this has been a good barometer of a cancellation is coming, as those mass emails run like clockwork in normal conditions, unlike the refund emails.  If it doesn't appear by early next week well I'll take a guess...

May I ask, is there any poster on here who is due to cruise say late November / early December and has booked direct with P&O?  Have you received any balance due reminders?

I'll make the point again that P&O could create some breathing space by reducing the balance due date to 30 or 60 days, if there is a serious but still unresolved possibility of cruises in late November.

The Christmas cruises are a massive cash cow.  P&O will try and milk the cow at all costs...hence the seeming prevarication.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Do I think it will be the last cancellations - no I don't. I think those cruises in late November are unlikely to sail. You may get a selection of shorter cruises in that period though. I still doubt that Arcadia and Aurora will sail with passengers before March 2021

Each of your recent posts have given me hope that our Arcadia cruise at the end of June will sail. Keep up the good work😉

Avril

• Like 1

Given the current chaos with regards to quarantine for returning holiday makers,  with England having different rules to Scotland,  Wales, etc, I can't see how any cruises with foreign ports can go ahead this year. 

The parameters change weekly, every government interprets the figures differently- it's just bedlam.

Imagine a cruise that went to say, Madeira,  and prior to the ship returning to Southampton,  Scotland decided that all visitors to the island had to quarantine.  How is that going to work?

I actually feel sorry for the cruise companies, because there is no single authority making decisions on quarantine protocols.  You have the Deparment of Health,  the Department of Transport, the Hone Office and the Foreign Office,  all passing the buck. 

At the moment no one in power could organise a party in a brewery.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

One thing which I find interesting is that I have yet to receive my first "friendly reminder" automated email about paying the balance for my cruise to P&O. 

Previously, this has been a good barometer of a cancellation is coming, as those mass emails run like clockwork in normal conditions, unlike the refund emails.  If it doesn't appear by early next week well I'll take a guess...

May I ask, is there any poster on here who is due to cruise say late November / early December and has booked direct with P&O?  Have you received any balance due reminders?

I'll make the point again that P&O could create some breathing space by reducing the balance due date to 30 or 60 days, if there is a serious but still unresolved possibility of cruises in late November.

The Christmas cruises are a massive cash cow.  P&O will try and milk the cow at all costs...hence the seeming prevarication.

We were due on Iona on 28 November with my brother and our parents. We moved our cruise to the same one next year, as did my parents. My brother just left his booking as it was, in the hope that it was cancelled. I spoke to him today and he's not had any reminders to pay the balance. He didn't even realise that balance due date had come and gone. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

We were due on Iona on 28 November with my brother and our parents. We moved our cruise to the same one next year, as did my parents. My brother just left his booking as it was, in the hope that it was cancelled. I spoke to him today and he's not had any reminders to pay the balance. He didn't even realise that balance due date had come and gone. 

We're on the same cruise, but we had a chat with our TA a few weeks ago (when balance was due) and they said P&O are not chasing payments, as if they cancel (which in TA's opinion they probably will) it saves all the hassle of refunding and giving 125% FCC to everyone. We haven't cancelled yet, purely because we still would like to go, but won't if it means you have to walk round the ship with a mask on all the time....not very relaxing! If it goes ahead (which it probably won't) we definately need some guidelines on how P&O are going to handle everything.

Simon

• Like 1

Given that, technically, if you go past the balance due date set by P&O (not TA) and have not paid your balance, you are deemed to have cancelled your booking and gifted your deposit to P&O who are under no obligation to return it, we should give them some credit for the fact that they don’t appear to be enforcing that. If they add 25% FCC to that if the cruise is cancelled then that’s an added bonus, but it makes sense for P&O to do that given the current high prices (which wipe out the ‘benefit’) and the fact that they can retain the money to ease their cash flow as well as hopefully guaranteeing more future bookings. 

Obviously none of us know for sure when P&O cruises will recommence. It’s such a difficult call for them, even if the government dropped its guidance not to go on cruise ships. Infection rates are already starting to rise and we are still a few months away from winter when it’s likely to tick up even further. The other challenge with winter cruises is that you are going to have passengers with coughs and colds (not coronavirus related) who are going to cause concern to crew and other passengers who will be fearing the worst!

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Given that, technically, if you go past the balance due date set by P&O (not TA) and have not paid your balance, you are deemed to have cancelled your booking and gifted your deposit to P&O who are under no obligation to return it, we should give them some credit for the fact that they don’t appear to be enforcing that. If they add 25% FCC to that if the cruise is cancelled then that’s an added bonus, but it makes sense for P&O to do that given the current high prices (which wipe out the ‘benefit’) and the fact that they can retain the money to ease their cash flow as well as hopefully guaranteeing more future bookings. 

Obviously none of us know for sure when P&O cruises will recommence. It’s such a difficult call for them, even if the government dropped its guidance not to go on cruise ships. Infection rates are already starting to rise and we are still a few months away from winter when it’s likely to tick up even further. The other challenge with winter cruises is that you are going to have passengers with coughs and colds (not coronavirus related) who are going to cause concern to crew and other passengers who will be fearing the worst!

Bit of a bleak outlook you paint but as you have already posted your not going to cruise anytime soon so it doesn’t really worry you, as for us we have the belief that p@o will be taking advice and using best possible practice to keep those who chose to cruise safe, as for coughs and colds  hopefully they will not be allowed to board.

Edited by Bazrat