Next announcement of cancellations

lindylooellalouise

39 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Given the current situation it’s unsurprising that there is little to talk about, other than the purely personal, which is being indulged by the moderators, and the possible/potential resumption of cruising, this year, next year, sometime, never.

Being a cruise forum it’s unsurprising that those still posting, 6 months after suspension, would like to cruise again, in the short or long term, though some have health reasons to feel very cautious

What is disappointing, though not, I suppose, surprising, is that there appears to be a little personal edge creeping in to some poss.    It feels almost like cruising has joined the current ‘football-isation’ of current affairs.  Everyone has to support Red or Blue, left or right, stay or go, us or them.  For a country renown for considered thought, and shades of grey discussion, we’ve suddenly shifted to all or nothing and irritation or intolerance of difference 

Imo, for what it’s worth, it wouldn’t take many people to leave or permanently discontinue posting to cause the whole heap of beans to collapse.   I, for one, would appreciate it if we could try to accept that everyone can express their views, in a respectful manner.

Ho hum.  It’s only a forum.  Not important.  I would miss it and my ‘forum friends’ though.  Please try not to break it, everybody

+1

27 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Please, don't let a couple of people push you off the forum.

I enjoy your measured, insightful posts and think you are a valued member of this community.  You would be missed if you decided to leave.

Have a bit of time out - sometimes a break does you the world of good, but please come back. 

👍

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

No need to Selbourne as your posts will stay plus most of us would miss your great advice.

If you think someone is intimidating or not showing due respect in their posts and this applies for everyone just report the post and explain why you have reported it and let CC decide.

A few lovely posters have left a few forums unnecessarily.

Graham.

Unfortunately there are disruptive people everywhere. I agree that he should let CC decide and also give him our support.

Avril

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Very well said.

As nothing much is happening in the cruising world at the moment apart from cancellations and waiting for cancellations, it's only to be expected that we talk about our own opinions and views, and we all tend to repeat ourselves. 

Everything is so tribal these days, but I thought this forum had done very well to avoid these excesses and that everybody could be confident to express their opinions without unpleasantness from those with differing opinions.

However, I'm not so sure anymore.  I lean towards Selbourne's views, so now I'm wondering if I post about, for example, my doubts about a November restart, certain people are going to turn on me.  When the atmosphere turns toxic, people can't be bothered any more, and just leave the forum.  Eddie is quite right, it doesn't take much to make this happen.

Please, lets all be kind and respectful to each other. 

Thank you

I agree.

We desperately want to cruise again but realise it has to be reasonably safe first and the government need to lift their no cruising advice so our insurances will cover us if anything goes wrong.

As it takes 6-8 weeks to put things into place November 13 looks iffy.

Xmas final balances are due very soon so hopefully a decision will be made very soon.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I whole heartedly agree with you. There are a handful of posters on here who are the mainstay of this forum and Selbourne is one. I hope he reconsiders. He would be missed by us all. 

Avril   

Absolutely agree.

I always look out for Selbournes posts.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Some people are more optimistic than others. All can have their say but don’t disregard each other’s point of view. Statistics and science can be used to promote both sides. Keep happy. 

Sorry to repeat myself, but the main issue here is tact. It's not what you say, but how you say it 

Avril

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

My favourite ship as well, even though we've only done two cruises on her.  Hopefully she'll stay on the books and fingers crossed she'll do a worldie in 2023.

And mine.  

For what my thoughts are worth, P&O(Carnival) should be mindful about keeping the two smaller ships, certainly for the foreseeable.    Although tender ports do not make up anything like the majority of places that P&O ships visit, exercising any form of social distancing on a tender with a ship that holds 5,000+ passengers (even if restricted numbers) on a day visit will be virtually impossible.   I volunteer at two ports in Edinburgh, including tendering at Newhaven Harbour.   We use four ship tenders and two local excursion ships (200 passengers each), and even prior to the trials and tribulations that covid has now thrown up, it's a monumental task to get everyone off in time for tours etc and then back on before the ship is due to leave, let alone independent passengers and crew coming and going at leisure.

Starting up with two ships like Arcadia and Aurora, without full capacity, would pave the way for what can be achieved, what needs re-assessed, and with two ships capable of getting in and out of the vast majority of ports.

With lines like Viking Ocean, Oceania, Silversea and Regent Seven Seas - all higher end admittedly, but from the size of their ships and the product they've achieved - and my personal experience of working on board every one of their current fleet - large behemoths are not necessarily the way forward for any cruise line.

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 5

Wow... What's going on here then... 

Good people with differing opinions are falling out, that's not right. 

Lets simplify this. 

Some of us are ready to cruise, others don't see the sense... 

I'm not going for another year, but really hope that those who want to get away sooner manage it, I just hope they are all safe and can enjoy it. 

Opinions are opinions, they are ours and we are all entitled to them, whether anybody else thinks we are right or wrong. 

What a shame we can't all play nicely. 

Andy 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

large behemoths are not necessarily the way forward for any cruise line.

Sorry, but they are, if you want to make a profit. 

You can't make money selling cabins on Viking size ships, at Brittania prices. 

So, large and cheap, or small and expensive. 

The majority of cruisers can't afford the smaller ships (me included). However,  I'm hoping that the mid size ships  (3000 pax or so) stay around until my cruising days are over.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Lets simplify this. 

I'm not going for another year, but really hope that those who want to get away sooner manage it, I just hope they are all safe and can enjoy it. 

Opinions are opinions, they are ours and we are all entitled to them, whether anybody else thinks we are right or wrong. 

Andy 

I find it sad as well ... Chill out, there is more in this world to worry about in this world at present .

If someone goes on a cruise/holiday then good luck to them and if someone decides to stay at home ..

...So what ?  Both have valid reasons ,so just agree to disagree and leave it at that . Simples :classic_smile:

• Like 6

It can be so easy to post (or say) something that is intended to be a balanced opinion but manages to be phrased in such a way that it comes across as aggressive and hectoring.

It can be equally easy to read a post as being a personal attack, when it was never intended to be.

I have done both.

Often.

I can manage to be both the person for whom the "it's not what you said, it's how you said it" was coined for, AND (on a down day) the person being personally upset by somebody else's post.

My opinion only, but , maybe we should all assume that posts we find disagreeable were not intended to be and avoid saying how disagreeable we find them.

And if somebody does tell us that our own post was disagreeable, simply say "sorry - not intentional" and move on.

(Unless, of course - it was intentional...😱).

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Lets simplify this. 

Andy 

Thank goodness, a voice of reason.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

Just to put the record straight I have always said it’s everybody’s right not to cruise if they feel unsafe in these strange times, I only mention the fact we’re prepared to cruise if the system is in place for us to do safely to show my position, never would i denigrate anybody’s choices but if that makes me a bully or lack tact I will leave that decision up to your own sensibilities.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, but they are, if you want to make a profit. 

You can't make money selling cabins on Viking size ships, at Brittania prices. 

So, large and cheap, or small and expensive. 

The majority of cruisers can't afford the smaller ships (me included). However,  I'm hoping that the mid size ships  (3000 pax or so) stay around until my cruising days are over.

Frank and I have been discussing this recently because of the P&O's current price hikes. At the moment it's ok ,but if prices contiue to rise  as they are we will soon be priced out of the smaller ships. Then we will have to decide whether to try Azua or Ventura, or not cruise at all.

Avril

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We all have enough to worry about at the moment and we should all try to think about how we have worded our thoughts before we post.  It is sad that someone feels that they need too leave the forum.

There was a lady who said the same a few weeks ago and I haven't seen her post again unfortunately so I hope she is well.

We all get snarky comments aimed at us especially if you go on a different forum,so report a post rather than leave CC.

When I made my first comment on Princess someone said to me,

What are you doing on here? stay on RCL.

Fortunately I could answer.

We are Princess Elite Loyalty and I never heard another bad word.

It is so much more rewarding to just say nice things and people myself included have changed their view's on a subject when a good case is made for a differing opinion.

Graham.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It is so much more rewarding to just say nice things and people myself included have changed their view's on a subject when a good case is made for a differing opinion

I've found myself agreeing with wowzz recently. Not on everything but more than I did. Hush though, don't tell him🤫, I'll never live it down🤤.

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I hope Selbourne doesn’t leave the forum. His posts are always clearly written and explained.
Posting on here is like sending a text or email - it is best to read and re-read what you have written to make sure what you’ve written reads how you intend it to be read.
I don’t often post on here, but love reading all the banter and it’s certainly kept me amused and informed in equal measures - so I thank all the regular posters in here and please carry on......

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've found myself agreeing with wowzz recently. Not on everything but more than I did. Hush though, don't tell him🤫, I'll never live it down🤤.

Avril

Best put the kettle on again Avril

Make yourself a nice soothing cup of tea ️ 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We all have enough to worry about at the moment and we should all try to think about how we have worded our thoughts before we post.  It is sad that someone feels that they need too leave the forum.

I have been in that position Josy when you feel attacked for saying what you feel is right, but, with hindsight, I shouldn't have let it bothered me, but sometimes it's not that easy. 

We have plenty of 'spiky' posters on here but I have learnt that most of them don't mean any harm, just sometimes a bit too blunt. 

Andy 

• Like 6