Any suggestions how to improve the World Cruise?

Stop the pillow gifts except for those that are really of value.  I have two storage boxes with lovely pillow gifts from my one world cruise.  Most of which, I have never used nor will use.  Reduce the price of the world cruise because these pillow gifts are no longer offered.  For those who cruise frequently, how many Grand World Voyages china plates can be displayed on the walls of your home?  

• Like 5

I am fine if they stopped pillow gifts entirely but we have used the umbrellas and small suitcases to put stuff we buy on the trip.  No way are you getting a reduced fare if they go away.

Another item I would add is HAL sponsored nights off the ship like what they did on the 2019 WC in Amsterdam at the Rijks Museum.  Azamara and Oceania do one of these nights for each WC segment.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I am fine if they stopped pillow gifts entirely but we have used the umbrellas and small suitcases to put stuff we buy on the trip.  No way are you getting a reduced fare if they go away.

Another item I would add is HAL sponsored nights off the ship like what they did on the 2019 WC in Amsterdam at the Rijks Museum.  Azamara and Oceania do one of these nights for each WC segment.

That was an incredible evening, wasn't it??  I think it would be wonderful if they could do more of those ... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lady Chew said:

That was an incredible evening, wasn't it??  I think it would be wonderful if they could do more of those ... 

it really was well done and a great place to hold an event like that.  I was pleasantly surprised how well they executed everything especially the transportation to and from.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

For us, a 60 or 70 day cruise works well.  We have enjoyed two half world cruises and would love to do it again.  Hope portions of the WC are offered again.

I am sure they will be though 2022 maybe different.  I know Oceania’s full world cruise for 22 is sold out.  I think it’s due to FCC and pent up demand.  Not sure if the Zaandam is full yet.

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Stop the pillow gifts except for those that are really of value.  I have two storage boxes with lovely pillow gifts from my one world cruise.  Most of which, I have never used nor will use.  Reduce the price of the world cruise because these pillow gifts are no longer offered.  For those who cruise frequently, how many Grand World Voyages china plates can be displayed on the walls of your home?  

I left all the pillow gifts behind.  They would just have ended up at Goodwill.  I so dislike clutter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

31 minutes ago, taffyemma said:

I left all the pillow gifts behind.  They would just have ended up at Goodwill.  I so dislike clutter.

Was it twenty pound Desmond Tutu books that were left behind by the hundreds? There must be only a tiny percentage of world cruisers who like having all those gifts in their homes. I look at such items as stuff for the heirs to dispose of. My kids have no interest in the old family silver or china, much less in a plate showing the 2016 world cruise itinerary that they did not take, not that I have taken a world cruise either. It is hard not to get excited about a receiving a "gift" for "free", but I have learned to turn down the mariner tiles and charity event t shirts and mugs.

More positive suggestions? I have always pushed for local beer festivals. Should be a money maker for the cruise line.

Do the world cruises offer foreign language classes? Four months is enough time to make a dent in learning a language, maybe have beginner and intermediate lessons in Spanish, would be useful on a cruise that hits Latin America and Spain.

• Like 2

On our last Westerdam cruise in Asia, they offered classes in using your iPhone as a camera.  Some lecture, mostly hands on including walking around the ship taking pictures.  I had taken all the Microsoft classes, so this was something new and interesting.  It would be a reason to take a cruise if I knew it would be offered.  Incidentally, I enjoyed my pillow gifts.  My WC umbrella is the best one I have and I keep it in my car.  I still have my Desmond Tutu book (about 6 pounds), but haven't got around to reading it yet.  Not sure if I will ever use the tiles, but who doesn't like to bring a souvenir home from a trip?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, whogo said:

ebay has HAL world cruise plates from 1961*, 1962*, 1968, 1971, 1977, 1985, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2001, and 2011. Start collecting the full set now.

*Farewell dinner menu plate

I find it hilarious that such a thing would be offered for sale.

• Like 2

In light of reducing waste, why not let us pick the gifts of a list before we sail. The 2020 plate is going to be wanted LOL as we did not get to finish our cruise.  The umbrella is a useful gift as was the power bank, but would not need another power bank on my next WC  same with the shoulder bag, the box of chocolates did not make it home...... a stuffed animal was left for my cabin steward . And hopefully they get some bigger sizes of clothing on board 2xl is to small for a lot of cruisers. Give me a nice WC sweat shirt something we can use.

5 hours ago, whogo said:

Do the world cruises offer foreign language classes? Four months is enough time to make a dent in learning a language, maybe have beginner and intermediate lessons in Spanish, would be useful on a cruise that hits Latin America and Spain.

Not to my knowledge, but yours is an excellent suggestion.  If China or Japan is on the itinerary, I'd add some introductory Chinese or Japanese as well.

52 minutes ago, Lazy Lakes said:

a stuffed animal was left for my cabin steward

One of my most treasured pillow gifts that I have received was not on a world cruise, but on Volendam's 2002 Asia Pacific Explorer Cruise.  A small kangaroo with a joey in her pocket.  My kangaroo sits on my bedroom's dresser so I see it daily.  I love it.

Not a pillow gift, but I bought a large penguin in the Zaandam's Gift Shop during my South America/Antarctica cruise.  It has a special place in my living room; I love it as well. 

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I had taken all the Microsoft classes, 

I gave up trying.  One has to line up for some time to get a seat.  Not being the world's most computer literate person, the classes always went too fast and I ended up leaving the classes more frustrated than I was when I began.  The instructors were pleasant people, but they were not well enough trained in how to deal with their students who were at different computer ability levels.  (As a retired educator, I speak with some authority on that subject.)

21 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Another item I would add is HAL sponsored nights off the ship like what they did on the 2019 WC in Amsterdam at the Rijks Museum.  

YES!  During the 2008 World Cruise, we had a night at the Cistern in Istanbul.  Anyone who was on that cruise and attended will tell you it was "A Night To  Remember" in the very best sense.  Numerous food stations many with Turkish offerings, music, belly dancers, beverages, plenty of seating at couches/chairs as well as tables/stools, and seamless, comfortable coach transportation to/from the ship for the party.  

More of such experiences would be a better option, I think, than pillow gifts of dubious value or use.   

• Like 4

I love the idea of more overnights or even 2 nights in a port. We used to do that in Hong Kong, but that was when we were docked at Harbour Mall so transportation was easy. I wish they would add some excursions that were just transportation to and from shopping venues in ports. We've been to most of the ports so many times we've seen all the sights and I love to shop. My husband wouldn't worry about me if he knew I had a ride back on a ship sponsored bus, and I would be happier going by myself if I knew I had guaranteed transportation there and home.

• Like 2