Silversea business class air

hsheffield

1 hour ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks for your comments but the flights were booked and confirmed and now removed. So while I understand your comments should my flights had not been booked and confirmed I do not think they are relevant in my case.

Airlines are constantly changing schedules these days, and many people who have booked seats on future flights lose them every day due to flights being cancelled and other scheduling changes, particularly for flights months in advance. Your situation is a little different, because the flight has not changed, but I still think it's likely the airline has cancelled other flights, perhaps combining two into one, and is adjusting booked passengers. And the airline will likely prioritize customers paying full fare first, customers at the top of their loyalty program second, customers paying discounted/group/bulk fares (like Silversea) third, and other customers traveling on points last. So that's why I think airline schedule changes are relevant in your case, even though the flights you were originally booked on remain on the schedule. 

• Like 1

Airlines are constantly changing schedules these days, and many people who have booked seats on future flights lose them every day due to flights being cancelled and other scheduling changes, particularly for flights months in advance. Your situation is a little different, because the flight has not changed, but I still think it's likely the airline has cancelled other flights, perhaps combining two into one, and is adjusting booked passengers. And the airline will likely prioritize customers paying full fare first, customers at the top of their loyalty program second, customers paying discounted/group/bulk fares (like Silversea) third, and other customers traveling on points last. So that's why I think airline schedule changes are relevant in your case, even though the flights you were originally booked on remain on the schedule. 

Unfortunately I am afraid they are not in my case. I know pretty well the airline industry and I have reached the highest level of sky team loyalty program. I will get in touch with AF to understand what happened to my booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

You may wish to look at the changes that Silversea made to the Cruise with Confidence policy (which they applied retroactively to all existing bookings).  The FCC if they cancel your bookings is now only 110% and according to Barbara Muckermann (Chief Marketing Officer) is likely to drop further. 

You may also want to review the recommendations published last week by the RCCL Healthy Sail Panel.  While the CDC has not yet spoken, the RCCL recommendations include:

• Masks required for all indoor spaces except in stateroom or while eating or drinking.
  • Masks required for all outdoor spaces where social distancing not possible.  (Imagine wearing a mask at the pool).
  • Passengers prohibited from leaving the ship unless on a cruise line sponsored excursion.
  • If a passenger is denied boarding (positive for COVID, suspected of having COVID, having close contact with someone with COVID, or a member of a party of any such persons), Silversea will not provide any refund, credit or compensation for the cruise.  You will be out your entire cruise fare and be required to find your own way back home.  Current travel insurance policies are unlikely to provide coverage as a result of such denied boarding.

Since DW and I retired, we were looking forward with great anticipation to sailing on Silversea, having heard that in the past they provided excellence in their experience.  However, a number of concerns and issues have indicated to us that perhaps now is not the time to consider Silversea.  Your experience with the business air bookings is another example I have seen or experienced of less than satisfactory service and certainly nothing that sets Silversea apart as a luxury cruise line.

Good luck in whatever you decide.  If you do decide to keep your cruise bookings, you may wish to consider the air credit offered by Silversea and book your own flights.

@alexandriathanks for the very thoughtful post.  btw, I just retired in April and was also looking forward to spending my 'younger' retirement years cruising.

anyone know if Americans are still unwelcome in the EU? I haven't been keeping up. 

I'm new to all this so I don't even know how long ahead of time I have to be able to cancel for a full refund.  The 110% isn't worth the gamble of waiting for SS to cancel IMHO.  SS has had my money for 2 years now-I could gamble getting around 5%/year in investment returns and book when things settle down. 

I wasn't aware there was an air credit-can someone explain how that works? Is it just a refund of what I paid for the business class air?

thanks so much for everyone's help! cruise critic has been a calming resource in these uncertain times

Edited by hsheffield

26 minutes ago, hsheffield said:

@alexandriathanks for the very thoughtful post.  btw, I just retired in April and was also looking forward to spending my 'younger' retirement years cruising.

anyone know if Americans are still unwelcome in the EU? I haven't been keeping up. 

I'm new to all this so I don't even know how long ahead of time I have to be able to cancel for a full refund.  The 110% isn't worth the gamble of waiting for SS to cancel IMHO.  SS has had my money for 2 years now-I could gamble getting around 5%/year in investment returns and book when things settle down. 

I wasn't aware there was an air credit-can someone explain how that works? Is it just a refund of what I paid for the business class air?

thanks so much for everyone's help! cruise critic has been a calming resource in these uncertain times

On cruises where Silversea offers "included air", they generally also will provide a credit if you decline to have them book the airline flights.  On the Caribbean cruises we considered, the air credit was $500pp when SIlversea offered included economy air, on the Mediterranean cruises, the air credit was $1,000pp when Silversea offered included economy air. 

I don't know whether the air credit can be provided after booking or if it has to be requested when the sailing is booked.  Perhaps someone who has more experience with Silversea can weigh in.

Be aware that the FCC offer if Silversea cancels is now "up to 110%" and it it very likely that would become 100% FCC in the near future.  Realize also that the current Cruise with Confidence policy provides "Offer can be withdrawn without notice."  So Silversea can end that program at any point in time, even prior to the currently scheduled April 30, 2021 end date.

If you are more than one hundred twenty (120) days from your cruise, you can cancel for a full refund less a $200 cancelation fee which you can apply to a future sailing in the event you book on a later date.

Edited by alexandria