Convert 35mm film negative to digital

Bowm54

Hi all, I have a large number of pre digital era negatives which I would like to keep in one easy to access place (my computer).

After searching the internet I came across this $75aud lumo gadget that may fit the bill. I have a spare iphone 5c so once I have the unit setup it can remain as one piece.

Does anybody here have experience using this setup and which software program do you prefer?

The scans would only be used for screen viewing, not printing enlargements. A more expensive alternative is the $400aud  plustek 8100.

Any suggestions?

Thankyou.

03CF1068-D91E-4D6D-A764-B0293ECADA71.jpeg.0c3adba1b90c3e91402adeeb998cdfa0.jpeg

4 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

Hi all, I have a large number of pre digital era negatives which I would like to keep in one easy to access place (my computer).

After searching the internet I came across this $75aud lumo gadget that may fit the bill. I have a spare iphone 5c so once I have the unit setup it can remain as one piece.

Does anybody here have experience using this setup and which software program do you prefer?

The scans would only be used for screen viewing, not printing enlargements. A more expensive alternative is the $400aud  plustek 8100.

Any suggestions?

Thankyou.

03CF1068-D91E-4D6D-A764-B0293ECADA71.jpeg.0c3adba1b90c3e91402adeeb998cdfa0.jpeg

I just finished scanning several thousand of my old color negatives (lots of time on my hands) using an older Plustek 7600i film and slide scanner and it worked very well.  I have never used or even seen the other device you referred to so I can't compere it with that.

One thing to beware of when you scan your negative, you will see a lot of scratches and grain that didn't show up in the prints as the printing of negatives through an enlarger tends to minimize that.  The Plustek has an infrared channel that can be used to alleviate some of the scratches and dust spots, not perfect, but it works pretty well. 

If you decide to go with the Plustek, I would highly recommend Vuescan from Hamrick Software as your scanning software.  It has built in drivers for thousands of scanners and profiles for most of the film and slide types.

Dave

The Lumo thing gets reasonable reviews on the B&H site. Although indication of a bit flimsy. Good output.

One reviewer mentioned that the cradle orientation is the wrong way for the film and no way of turninG it. Says they use it without the cradle to turn the phone 90degrees to get portrait length view of film and sensor. Otherwise, film is landscape and sensor is portrait.

Other thing to check is phones that fit the cradle. Relates to width and position of front camera

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/965225-REG/lomography_z100scan_smartphone_film_scanner.html/qa

Thank you for your replies, they are very helpful.

I will order the Lomo device and try it. The iphone 5c is the perfect size and has no use to us as a phone as the sound quality is atrocious. But the camera is good.

The Plustek is by far the superior unit and will be my goto if the lomo fails.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bowm54 said:

Thank you for your replies, they are very helpful.

I will order the Lomo device and try it. The iphone 5c is the perfect size and has no use to us as a phone as the sound quality is atrocious. But the camera is good.

The Plustek is by far the superior unit and will be my goto if the lomo fails.

Thanks.

Remember to download the Lomo app that does the negative to positive conversion in the phone.

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 8:21 AM, GUT2407 said:

I have an old slide copier, basically a lens you attach to your camera, we used to use them all the time in the studio and lab, works great on a DSLR too you can still get them.

Thanks for idea Gut....    have a slide copier for my SLR   and when I went Digital

bought an adapter ring to be able to use my old lens on the DSLR ...

Have to pull everything out and try it.... thanks  Don

• 4 months later...

If you have a NIKON camera, Nikon sells a thing called the FS-1 that will work with their three "micro" lenses.    It will fit on any lens, but I've not found anything for my Canon that will focus close enough.