Celebrity Cruise Care wording

39august

Today I browsed thru' Celebrity's many page FAQS concerning their Cruise with Confidence plan. When I reached the part about travel insurance, I read it all. Their "Cruise Care" policy explanation of coverage used the wording "if you are quarantined for Covid19 while on your trip" to explain what was covered due to your quarantine. I am surprised that the wording is not specific to "your cruise". To me my " trip"  includes travel to the cruise and every port included in the cruise.  Any one have comments on this, please?

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Today I browsed thru' Celebrity's many page FAQS concerning their Cruise with Confidence plan. When I reached the part about travel insurance, I read it all. Their "Cruise Care" policy explanation of coverage used the wording "if you are quarantined for Covid19 while on your trip" to explain what was covered due to your quarantine. I am surprised that the wording is not specific to "your cruise". To me my " trip"  includes travel to the cruise and every port included in the cruise.  Any one have comments on this, please?

It is my understanding that these policies cover you a couple of days on either side of your cruise for medical and evacuation. That is not to say that they cover any other expenses like hotels unless you purchased a package through the cruise line.

If you can see the actual certificate, look for the language that defines when the coverage begins and ends. If you are going in several days early or staying after for longer than specified, then you’d need a third-party comprehensive policy.

And yes, it covers you in between - including in port. 

Edited by Babr

The Celebrity "Cruise Care" coverage begins on the first day of travel which is defined as first day of purchased travel. In other words,  if purchased airfare thru' X that day and following days are covered through the last day of the cruise. If air purchased independently, then first day of the cruise thru' last day of cruise is covered.  . So you are saying that coverage for illness (which apparently does not exclude Covid19, )also applies in various ports. That makes sense. 

Absolutely you are covered in ports. That is a big part of why you buy insurance in the first place, but I have known of people who think they are covered only while on the ship.

That is a gross misunderstanding.

I’d be a little concerned about not having coverage while in transit if you do not buy air from Celebrity. I suppose your regular health insurance would be in effect. Check to see what kind of coverage you have if you got sick in transit and had to miss the cruise. At the very least, you’d likely be paying out-of-network rates. What about expenses to return home in such an event?

What kind of coverage you need depends on how much you are booking independently and how much you are booking through Celebrity. A third-party policy will cover you door-to-door including non-refundable air, hotels, excursions as well as trip delay and other travel benefits in addition to medical and evacuation. I don’t know if all policies cover Covid. Steve, who often answers questions here, can advise you. He may have a recommendation that would fit your needs if you care to explore that. You can find him at tripinsurancestore.com.

On 9/5/2020 at 11:25 AM, 39august said:

Hi 39august,

You will want to find out how they define a "quarantine". I suspect that it is a medically-imposed quarantine by a doctor's order. The coverages will hinge upon what they mean by a "quarantine".

Steve Dasseos