Help! I’m being limited to 15 booze drinks per day on my cruise

-Lew-

48 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Again, this article was a reprint from maybe a year ago? 

And, I sort of do agree with the writer. She bought under one promotion, and was told it will be another one. So I can understand her being upset. Not really sure I'd make a federal case out of it if it were me, but I can understand her being upset.

Unless the article refers to a complaint made several years ago, the basic reasoning is incorrect. The complainant did not buy under one promotion and get another one. The 15 drinks a day limit has been in place for years. She bought the drinks package advertised as "all-inclusive drinks" NOT "all you can drink". She has put her own interpretation on the wording of Princess' promotion. Even before they put the 15-drink limit on, I don't think Princess advertised the drinks package as "all you can drink".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Unless the article refers to a complaint made several years ago, the basic reasoning is incorrect. The complainant did not buy under one promotion and get another one. The 15 drinks a day limit has been in place for years. She bought the drinks package advertised as "all-inclusive drinks" NOT "all you can drink". She has put her own interpretation on the wording of Princess' promotion. Even before they put the 15-drink limit on, I don't think Princess advertised the drinks package as "all you can drink".

It originally was no limit but they could cut you off if we’re drunk. The limit came in to avoid sharing 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, memoak said:

It originally was no limit but they could cut you off if we’re drunk. The limit came in to avoid sharing 

As you say, originally there was no limit on drinks per day, but they stopped serving a passenger when they were drunk. Maybe this 'judgment' caused a lot of problems and it was simpler to put a limit on the drinks. The issue of sharing is an important point. But, back to the original point - Did Princess ever advertise "all you can drink". I cannot remember such advertising. All I can remember is "all inclusive". That is different.

I wonder, though, if drinking 15 or more drinks in a day is good for anyone's body?  Whether one is tipsy or not?

Having said that, I would like to say that I do drink a bit of wine or beer.  I'm not one who totally abstains.

But let me add that I used to drink quite a bit more.  Over the last couple of years, I have cut back to just a sip or two of wine or beer on Saturday and Sunday nights.  In the process, I have lost 15 pounds, without trying.

Think it over...   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

You stole my question!

darn auto correct.   How did it go from the to you?🤷‍♀️ " And the problem is!"     I have seen too many guys who were over served on the unlimited package.   Not real fun to sit close to them and witness their rude comments to the crew, especially the waiters And their loud talking has ruined numerous dinners for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

Back on subject.  OP there are meetings everyday to provide you with a solution to your drinking experiences.

I will infer  that the OP prefers unlimited drink packages that are available on other lines such as Celebrity,  Royal and NCL as opposed to attending a friend's of Bill W meeting. 

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I will infer  that the OP prefers unlimited drink packages that are available on other lines such as Celebrity,  Royal and NCL as opposed to attending a friend's of Bill W meeting. 

having a choice, and personal responsibility, is a beautiful thing 🍷🥃🍸🛳️🐬🦄

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

having a choice, and personal responsibility, is a beautiful thing 🍷🥃🍸🛳️🐬🦄

Some people have no control when it comes to drinking 🥃. I seen this guy in the pool on the Royal Princess and BTW your not supposed to drink in the pool. He was having one drink after another. He needed help getting out of the pool. 
His wife or girlfriend was getting him the drinks 🥃
Tony

42 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Some people have no control when it comes to drinking 🥃. I seen this guy in the pool on the Royal Princess and BTW your not supposed to drink in the pool. He was having one drink after another. He needed help getting out of the pool. 
His wife or girlfriend was getting him the drinks 🥃
Tony

Why can't you drink at the pool as long as you are at the side, no-one ever stopped me.

9 minutes ago, Gerrym said:

Why can't you drink at the pool as long as you are at the side, no-one ever stopped me.

Drinking may be ok but eating is another story. Many people just dumped their half eaten food and dirty plates all over the pool deck when a garbage can and collection tray are only 10 feet away. It was disgusting.

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gerrym said:

That is not what Tony typed. To quote Tony:-

"I seen this guy in the pool on the Royal Princess and BTW your not supposed to drink in the pool."

Edited by brisalta

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Drinking may be ok but eating is another story. Many people just dumped their half eaten food and dirty plates all over the pool deck when a garbage can and collection tray are only 10 feet away. It was disgusting.

Once again card carrying members of the me generation surface.

6 hours ago, Gerrym said:

Hi Gerrym,

‘You can have a drink 🥃 at the pool and around the pool. But not ( IN ) the pool. Check out what I typed. Post # 38
Sorry if you misunderstood me.

Tony 

• Like 2

Fun topic.  It was always a process of doing the math comparing what we normally spend on drinks on the ship against what the increase in cruise fare was. Afterall, someone has to pay for the drinks and it isn't the cruise line.  In the end it was always less expensive to buy our own drinks than purchasing the package.......until now.

One of the reasons for not going with the package is that there was possibility of items of an alcoholic nature being brought aboard that reduced the bar tab further making the distance cost wise of buying the package even greater.

With the advent of the beverage package, Princess was banking on most passengers never getting 15 drinks per day.  With port days as a large number on most Caribbean and European itineraries, the drink opportunity time is reduced.  The repositioning transatlantic and other areas provided the best opportunity to maximize the limit of the package.

I believe that one of the reasons they decided to limit the number of drinks per day wasn't to keep people sober, it was to prevent the practice that some passengers were doing of getting drinks for those that didn't have the package.  Think the "free laundry" for Elite that is abused.

Doing the math again, a 7 day voyage offers the opportunity for 105 drinks total. At approximately $10 per drink, the total would be worth $1050.  The increase in cruise fare to include the package isn't near that amount and includes other perks as well that are possibly more attractive to some passengers.

For us, the Best Value is the better deal than the Best Price.  The Best Value includes the drink package, WiFi, gratuities and soda package for minors for a minor upcharge.  Look at a 3 day Caribbean voyage in a balcony cabin.  The BP cost is $419 vs $539 for BV pricing.  $120 difference that includes 45 drinks, gratuities and WiFi!  The ratio is similar for 7 day voyages as well. ($250 difference in fare price that includes gratuities, WiFi and drinks).  Seems to be a no-brainer.

Finally, the initial argument was that Princess changed from "unlimited" to a "limited" amount per day and that should be challenged or they would never sail with Princess again.  Might have been a good argument except for the clause that Princess has the right to make changes to any program of offering at their discretion which is what they did.

Always a fun topic.  I hit the limit once.  I've been very close a number of other times I'm sure...they're called sea days.  I drink vodka-tonics and the pre-defined pour amounts make for a pretty weak drink.  Don't get me wrong, it's plenty of alcohol, but starting around lunchtime and covering a 12 hour period noon to midnight, it's barely more than 1 weak drink per hour to get there....it does add up, but it's not that difficult to hit on a lazy sea day.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Gerrym,

‘You can have a drink 🥃 at the pool and around the pool. But not ( IN ) the pool. Check out what I typed. Post # 38
Sorry if you misunderstood me.

Tony 

I agree with Tony, about not drinking IN the pool.  Thanks, Tony!