Unusual activity on a cruise ship

lenquixote66

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I miss the newspapers that were available in several languages on HAL ships.

On Meraviglia 2017 we could get a Swedish newspaper but on Divina 2019 we had to choose a newspaper in english. Maybe the reason was that Meraviglia was in the Mediterranean but more likely it was cheaper for them to limit the choices.

We were surprised to get a newspaper on Divina and don't expect to get one on our next cruise, whenever that is. 

Edited by sverigecruiser

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I like occasionally assembling and enjoying one on my favorite breakfast sandwiches: peanut butter, honey and bacon on whole wheat toast - with tea.

There was/is a restaurant in Manhattan that served Peanut Butter sandwiches.Every possible combination that you could imagine.I had many meals there but never once do I recall Peanut Butter with bacon.Very interesting.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is your favorite activity on a cruise ship that is rarely discussed on a CC thread ?

Mine is shuffleboard.

A fun group playing LCR ( left,right,center ) for a couple of hours on sea days.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

On Meraviglia 2017 we could get a Swedish newspaper but on Divina 2019 we had to choose a newspaper in english. Maybe the reason was that Meraviglia was in the Mediterranean but more likely it was cheaper for them to limit the choices.

We were surprised to get a newspaper on Divina and don't expect to get one on our next cruise, whenever that is. 

32 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

In 1963 I was dating a young woman who had recently moved to NYC .I was very surprised that she was fluent in English.

6 minutes ago, skrufy said:

A fun group playing LCR ( left,right,center ) for a couple of hours on sea days.

Yes,I agree as far as an activity but this has been discussed many many times on CC.

I am  an excellent LRC player,I must say. I have played 99 times since 2018 and have never won.I doubt that anyone else can say that.

• Like 1

When it's too hot for me to go ashore, I buy a coffee and a slice of Victoria sponge to go, and find a shady spot on deck all on my own, for a bit of peace.

If there's a Sunday service, we go and join in the prayers for all seafarers everywhere, which ends with the sailor's hymn: "Eternal Father, strong to save."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We get drinks/snacks and sit on our balcony and play Scrabble....not unusual for us but may seem so for some.

My wife and I play scrabble on every cruise and since 2017 I have been playing Words With Friends on line with many people that I met on cruises including several CC regulars.We enjoy that because there is a chat option.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,I agree as far as an activity but this has been discussed many many times on CC.

I am  an excellent LRC player,I must say. I have played 99 times since 2018 and have never won.I doubt that anyone else can say that.

Have never won also. Wife won first two games she played and never again. We are resigned to never winning just enjoy playing.

Favorite thing on a cruise ship.... getting up in the morning particularly on a sea day, and walking round the top deck looking at the sea...... or it can be coming into port as well...

Then afterward going down to have wonderful breakfast.........

It is just best way to start the day.........

Cheers Don      ( looking forward to the day can do this again ) 

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I like occasionally assembling and enjoying one on my favorite breakfast sandwiches: peanut butter, honey and bacon on whole wheat toast - with tea.

That sounds GREAT! But no need to wait to cruise.

Not often discussed, but sometimes mentioned.  An extra cost item:  the Behind the Scenes Tour.  I have learned so much with all of those tours that I have done.  

Maybe the most unique one was aboard Carnival Miracle.  When we disembarked, she was headed for drydock.  Going below decks and seeing the preparations being made for that drydocking was quite interesting.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clo said:

That sounds GREAT! But no need to wait to cruise.

Correct -- but on a cruise you do not need to cook the bacon yourself. 

The problem, however, seems to be the fact that, while bacon and honey are generally available at the breakfast buffet (and even in the MDR), too often peanut butter is not out until lunchtime.   In our household, of course, all such essential nutrients are ALWAYS on hand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Correct -- but on a cruise you do not need to cook the bacon yourself. 

The problem, however, seems to be the fact that, while bacon and honey are generally available at the breakfast buffet (and even in the MDR), too often peanut butter is not out until lunchtime.   In our household, of course, all such essential nutrients are ALWAYS on hand.

Having just completed a week plus in our RV we've learned to take small amounts of essentials. Sounds like PB could be yours. Bob makes THE very best bacon. I had to cook myself A slice this AM as he was golfing. PITA.