Crystal Cruises vs. Seabourn Cruises

vslyko

I have been a loyal cruise passenger on Crystal Cruises for many years (I have taken 33 cruises with them) but given their recent financial problems and lack of refunding deposits and final payments to passengers I am seriously considering cruising on Seabourn once this whole Covid-19 pandemic is a thing of the past.  I do have some questions however:

How much does Seabourn charge for single occupancy of a cabin? Is it always 200% or does it vary by cruise demand or category?  Is it best to wait or book early in order to get the best single rate?

If anyone has sailed on Crystal how does the product compare to Seabourn?  I am referring mostly to the food and the attentiveness of the crew to guest requests.  I do know the staterooms are much larger on Seabourn.  Gaming and entertainment are not factors for me.

How easy is it for a single person to get a table for two (or for one in my case) in the Main Dining area and the specialty restaurants?  Are there numerous tables for two in both venues?   Does Carnival  (or whoever owns them) pretty much leave them be to let the crew and staff do what they think is best for the passengers requests, needs or desires?   Hopefully there is not a set "playbook" by which the crew must follow as every passenger is unique and deserves individual attention.

Any input from anyone who has sailed on both Crystal and Seabourn will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

I did some researching on Seabourn's website and they do offer great single supplement fares.  I am looking at a cruise on Odyssey on Oct. 1, 2021 which is 28 days from Vancouver to Miami.  It's the perfect length cruise for me. Now let's hope Covid-19 is then a thing of the past and the hurricanes stay far out to sea.  I sure would appreciate any feedback on my original post in regard to the dining situation in regards to tables for 2 and any comparisons (good or bad) between Crystal Cruise and Seabourn.  Thank You!

Seabourn and Crystal are our favorite lines and we choose between them based on itinerary and timing.  Service is excellent on both but there are subtle differences in the "feel" of the overall cruise experience.  I can't address your question about solo travel but I can say that we usually request a 2-top on Seabourn and have always been accommodated, whether in the main dining room or in TK Grill.  Even pre-covid, tables were sufficiently distanced that we never felt we were dining with our neighbours.  

For comparisons between Seabourn and Crystal, there's lots of good info on this thread from Feb 2019.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2631551-seabourn-vs-crystal/

We prefer Seabourn for:

The familiarity yet intimacy of Seabourn Square
Caviar on demand

Signature events like Opera under the Stars and Officers on Deck
Shopping with the Chef
Spacious suite accommodations with walk-in closets
More varied and interesting itineraries

Ventures by Seabourn zodiac excursions
Loyalty program with tangible benefits

We prefer Crystal for:

Fabulous enrichment with unrivaled guest lecturers

More interesting and diverse entertainment

Magic Castle at Sea (now renamed)
Computer University at Sea
Specialty restaurant Umi Uma
Outstanding cocktail list and excellent bartenders

Specialty luncheons such as Asian and Seafood Buffets

Wrap-around promenade
Unlimited free wifi

So there you go, at least pre-covid!  My thoughts only but you can't go wrong with either choice.

• Like 4

Than You so much for the link you gave to me and your personal comparisons between the two cruise lines MightyQuinn. It's reassuring to know that Seabourn is on par with Crystal.  Like I stated in my prior post it looks like I am going to give Seabourn a try.  I am sure I will be completely satisfied.

Caveat: we have 10 times more days on Seabourn than on Crystal.

Dining -I'm not sure if you wish to dine solo or are asking if company can be arranged. Nonetheless we have always received a table for 2 when we asked for it, no significant wait either. Seabourn is open seating, Crystal was just adapting to it when we tried them. We have seen Seabourn solos with a table to themselves and deduced it was their choice. Then we know of a frequent traveler who always had an intermediate officer at her table, maybe it was a break for the officer too. The maître d' often asks guests if they would like to share a table but that is just as an offer to them not a nudge. Seabourn also has hosted tables most nights and singles are particularly sent invites, which they can take up, decline or let it be known that they are not interested. It is also not unusual for guests to extend on the spot invites to acquaintances newly met at cocktails before dinner. So whichever style you are thinking of you'll be able to get. With only 225 couples the maître d' remembers preferences very quickly.

Food -we slightly favour Seabourn but Crystal's specialty restaurants are particularly good.

Attentiveness -Seabourn's old practice seemed to default to doing whatever the guest asked rather than "if it's not in the book, don't do it". The only limit was the obvious that it mustn't impose on others and the cost has to stay trifling. Having said that, the outstanding case was when a lady's wedding ring fell into the water as she stepped off to go on a tour. She was stricken but forlornly went on her way. When she returned she found that the company had hired two divers and recovered the ring. A much smaller instance was when we were sitting in a quiet observation lounge as sunset approached. The captain wandered in and we discussed the "green flash". He said it was easier to see with binoculars and went down a deck to the bridge and got us a pair.

Bill

• Like 1

Thank You Two4Sea.  FYI--I usually like to dine by myself for a couple of reasons but mainly because I use way too much salt and butter and have been told I eat too much and have been criticized several times by fellow passengers (on Crystal Cruises--not Seabourn) when sharing a table stating it is not good for my health.  I am a man about 5' 6" and I weigh about 109 pounds on a good day.  I find that kind of behavior offensive and am not on a luxury cruise to listen to such nonsense.  My doctor has told me I should eat whatever I want in order to maintain my weight.  The other reason is due to my profession where I listen to people all day long.  For me, not having to listen to people is part of the reason I take cruises in the first place.  I don't consider myself anti-social but getting a break from listening to people is important to me.

I love your examples of service and attentiveness on Seabourn.  Now that's what I call "First Class."  That is what I am looking for and it sure seems like Seabourn would be a great fit and choice for me.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, vslyko said:

I have yet another question.  Does anyone know if Seabourn Odyssey has a self self laundry onboard and if so do they provide detergent and fabric softener?  Thanks!

There is a self-service laundry, detergent definitely provided but not sure about fabric softener.

Heads up though - Covid19 -  it's not certain right now whether or not the cruise lines will allow the self-service laundries to be used initially when cruising starts again. 

I used to travel exclusively with Crystal and had accumulated 39 cruises.  Ever since I tried out Seabourn 2 years ago, I have never returned to Crystal.

Seabourn offers more genuine and attentive service.  The ships are smaller and can't offer protean choices of specialty restaurants.  On the Ovation, the specialty restaurants include Grill by Thomas Keller and sushi venue.  There are lots of artwork on the Ovation for admiration during leisure.

The majority of the officers are simpatico and mingle with the guests.

During the first few hours on port days, the cruise director and another officer are at the gangway greeting the guests.

The main dining room is open seating, you can always request a table for two.  Similar to Crystal, you may want to order your favorite dishes with 24 hours' advance notice.  If you are single, there will be a hosted table for you nightly, even during overnights, if you prefer.

The single supplement is customarily 75 %, which is the same as Crystal's PH.

Edited by SwankPooch
typo

22 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

There is a self-service laundry, detergent definitely provided but not sure about fabric softener.

Heads up though - Covid19 -  it's not certain right now whether or not the cruise lines will allow the self-service laundries to be used initially when cruising starts again. 

Hi Isklaar.  We posted at the same time but you make excellent points about laundry rooms post-covid.

• Like 1

Thank You so much Isklaar,  MightyQuinn and Swank Pooch.  I should have figured that Seabourn had laundry facilities onboard but I could not find them on their websites deck plans.   And like you stated Isklaar with the Covid-19 odds are they will not be in use.  We now live in a new age--no hugs, no handshaking, and probably no shared laundry facilities either.

On a lighter note I spoke to my travel agent today and she will be trying to book me the cruise on Odyssey on October 1st, 2022 to Miami.  She did state that even over a year out American's may have difficulty getting into Canada.  If that is the case I will take the cruise from L.A. to Miami.  I simply must give Seabourn a try.  Let's hope we can all cruise again by then.  Hopefully I will enjoy Seabourn so much I will, like MightyQuinn,  never look back at Crystal.

I sure do appreciate all of the input everyone on this tread has given me.  I can not thank you enough!

• Like 2

We love Seabourn and they are our cruise line of choice. On the other hand Crystal is the only cruise we actually left during the trip  the end of January.

What we like about Seabourn, nice size cabins even entry level...walk in closet, decent bathroom. Love the size of the ships and especially find the people very friendly and approachable. The food is okay, but we prefer to eat in the Colonnade over the main restaurant. The service is very friendly and the food is fine. The main restaurant is too noisy and we found the service to be lacking.

Crystal was just fine under the previous owner, and we could really tell a difference now that it is owned by the Chinese company. First, the cabins (we were in a Cat B) was so small it was almost unbearable to be in there. You should not have to pay even more for a penthouse (which is not that big) to have adequate space. There are no walk in closets, no shower (a tub that is almost impossible to get into Due to the high sides) the “sofa” was so small, and was in terrible condition that we ask twice to have it replaced. The second request was firmer and that took care of it. As far as the food goes, it was terrible. First of all the sodium level made me question if it were pre-made. They hide the raspberries on the buffet. I had heard that and decided to do a test..when I ask the man at the fruit area at the buffet for raspberries he said to go ask the guy two places down and he would get me some. Yes they were hidden under the counter. However more than anything the passengers were the most unfriendly group we have ever encounter in 55 cruises. They didn’t speak to anyone but their little group, never said hello, or even smiled..

‘’that was our last cruise before covid and it was our worst. I hope it wasn’t our last.

7 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

They hide the raspberries on the buffet.

Crystal is not the only cruise line that sometimes do that.  On long cruises where there is much time between re-stocking, berries of all types are often among the first of the perishable items that become scarce or not available at all.  

16 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

We love Seabourn and they are our cruise line of choice. On the other hand Crystal is the only cruise we actually left during the trip  the end of January.

What we like about Seabourn, nice size cabins even entry level...walk in closet, decent bathroom. Love the size of the ships and especially find the people very friendly and approachable. The food is okay, but we prefer to eat in the Colonnade over the main restaurant. The service is very friendly and the food is fine. The main restaurant is too noisy and we found the service to be lacking.

Crystal was just fine under the previous owner, and we could really tell a difference now that it is owned by the Chinese company. First, the cabins (we were in a Cat B) was so small it was almost unbearable to be in there. You should not have to pay even more for a penthouse (which is not that big) to have adequate space. There are no walk in closets, no shower (a tub that is almost impossible to get into Due to the high sides) the “sofa” was so small, and was in terrible condition that we ask twice to have it replaced. The second request was firmer and that took care of it. As far as the food goes, it was terrible. First of all the sodium level made me question if it were pre-made. They hide the raspberries on the buffet. I had heard that and decided to do a test..when I ask the man at the fruit area at the buffet for raspberries he said to go ask the guy two places down and he would get me some. Yes they were hidden under the counter. However more than anything the passengers were the most unfriendly group we have ever encounter in 55 cruises. They didn’t speak to anyone but their little group, never said hello, or even smiled..

‘’that was our last cruise before covid and it was our worst. I hope it wasn’t our last.

I totally concur with your comments.  Other than raspberries, blueberries were also invisible until guests requested it from the employee who was serving bagels and breads.

I tried Crystal twice after the Chinese took over.  I admitted that the quality had gone downhill, even the World Cruise.  

Guests were bundled into various clans and were critical. 

Some 'unpaid' guests were so impolite and would even venture ahead of paid guests on shuttles and tenders.  By the way, they were not lecturers.

I'm finally going to go on my first Seabourn Cruise ( I hope) depending on Covid-19 naturally.  I booked room 612 (category V-3) on Odyssey as a single passenger from Vancouver to Miami (October 1, 2021 to October 28, 2021).  I will spend two nights before the cruise at the Vancouver Fairmont Waterfront Hotel across from the terminal where the ship departs.  Hopefully I'll be able to stay a night or two post cruise in Miami but the Hotel Reservations have not opened up through Seabourn yet.  I am so exited even though the cruise is 13 months away.  I want to thank all the above posters for their input.  It sure has helped me a lot and I can not express my gratitude enough!

One final question--I sure hope they have Coca-Cola products on board.  I love my American Diet Coke (I detest Coca-Cola Light which only what is available in a lot of other countries) and Coke Zero.  The reason I ask is if by chance they don't offer it I will make a special request for it prior to the cruise through on board guest services.

Hopefully I'll see some of you Cruise Critic posters on board.  It sure would be nice to meet you.

THANKS AGAIN!!

• Like 1

I made a mistake on the above post.  I shortened the cruise by one day!  It arrives in Miami on October 29, 2021 not October 28, 2021 as I posted above.

I sure would like to know however if Seaborne serves Coke products?  I'm sure someone on this board who has sailed with them before knows the answer.  I sure would appreciate a response if you know.

Thank you!

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Crystal is not the only cruise line that sometimes do that.  On long cruises where there is much time between re-stocking, berries of all types are often among the first of the perishable items that become scarce or not available at all.  

Actually I had read this before our trip, and as things deteriorated and we decided to leave, I did the test. Everything I had read was true. There were no raspberries. Talk about cheap...we did meet two really nice guys who were our next door neighbors. They even said people glared at them in the elevator. 

All I can say is this was not what we have ever experienced on any cruise....oh to top it off I wrote my review which was not hateful, just the facts. A couple weeks later it was obvious they had read it, and sent us a registered letter that we were banned from their ships. I laughed out loud...like we would want to go again. Not in this lifetime. 

4 hours ago, vslyko said:

I made a mistake on the above post.  I shortened the cruise by one day!  It arrives in Miami on October 29, 2021 not October 28, 2021 as I posted above.

I sure would like to know however if Seaborne serves Coke products?  I'm sure someone on this board who has sailed with them before knows the answer.  I sure would appreciate a response if you know.

Thank you!

I cannot say, but I would think so. They do make good drinks. 

5 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

...I wrote my review which was not hateful, just the facts. A couple weeks later it was obvious they had read it, and sent us a registered letter that we were banned from their ships...

I tried to look for your review but cannot reach the reviews section (website issue?).  Can you provide a link to your review?

11 hours ago, vslyko said:

Do they happen to have Heinz ketchup on board?  Or is it some off brand?  I know it's an odd question but for burgers and fries I find it to be the best.

I don't drink soda or take ketchup, but I do remember seeing Coke products (others can confirm?) on board.

BTW, obviously I don't know you, but from what you've posted so far, I can see you'll be a perfect fit on Seabourn and will enjoy your SB sailings.  I have been sailing on SB for 10 years, and what brings me back time and again is their attentive and personalized service.  They really aim to please and try very hard.

(A personal data point:  my partner and I are vegetarian/vegan, and we provide a list of vegan products - yogurt, cheese, ice cream, tempeh, etc. - a couple of months ahead of time to corporate, and they will procure them as best as they can without any extra charge.  If necessary and when practical, they will even send staff out at various ports to locate or replenish.)

Thank You so much sfvoyage.  It is really great to know that Seaborne goes out of their way to meet passengers requests.  This is the type of cruise line I love.  If I don't get definitive responses on this thread about the Coke Products and Heinz Ketchup I will just call Seaborne's Corporate On Board Services Office (or email them) to find out for sure.  

I am so looking forward to my first Seaborne Cruise.  All you folks seem so nice and kind.  And for some reason I bet the crew is just as nice and kind as everyone on this thread has been.

Thanks again sfvoyage!