Why won’t Regent cancel November 2020 cruises?

mmcguir

Our “next” cruise is November 3rd on Splendor, less than 60 days out.  It seems impossible that the cruise will happen.  Americans can’t even travel to Italy or the other port countries.  Why won’t Regent cancel and start the refund/rescheduling process?  Is it wishful thinking or some other reason?  The lack of communication from Regent is disappointing.

Have to agree with you on all points. We're on the Nov 6th Explorer.....haven't heard a word. I find it almost annoying that I just received an email from Regent via our TA, that it was time to book spa appointments.....it's not gonna happen. I just looked at a world wide corona virus map via the New York times......Spain (we'd be leaving from Barcelona) is in BAD shape again, unfortunately. We have loved Regent in the past and we understand all of the messy logistics, but leaving us hanging like this, at this late date, isn't endearing them to us at this point. Anyone from Regent reading this? Please cancel Nov and let us get on with our lives and let us book something that actually might happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The current "refund request" period for those on World Cruise segments ends tomorrow 9 September; therefore, Regent won't cancel additional cruises until at least 10 September (based on their past behaviour).  My cruise is 28 November and I have decided not to make dining reservations; why waste the time.

Marc

Only one word for why they haven’t cancelled yet: “Money.”

More accurately stated would be two words: “Cash Flow.”

I’m booked on Splendor’s TA in November from Barcelona to Miami.

As a customer, I’m really displeased. As a CFO and bond/derivatives trader for the past 40 years, I get NCLH’s high wire balancing act.

The fact that I receive emails from my TA trying to entice me to book a Regent cruise is really beyond the pale, I would say this is malpractice. I dont understand how anybody of sound mind could make a final payment or a deposit on Regent ( or any cruise) right now. 

We are also booked on 13th November Barcelona to Miami.  We are from the U.K. and have a paid a 20% deposit so if we don’t make final payment if the cruise is not cancelled before the 60 day period (which is 14th September) we stand to loose a substantial amount of money. Extremely frustrating.

1 hour ago, Sannick said:

We are also booked on 13th November Barcelona to Miami.  We are from the U.K. and have a paid a 20% deposit so if we don’t make final payment if the cruise is not cancelled before the 60 day period (which is 14th September) we stand to loose a substantial amount of money. Extremely frustrating.

Pay and take the FCC as 20% loss is massive- something to look forward to in the future ?

The ship will not sail on Nov 13th...............no chance!

With yesterdays news in UK will do well to go down the street by Nov and no chance into Barcelona ( 14 day quarantine ) and US is basically closed to UK nationals. If you get to Miami its a long swim or paddle back to UK as flights are simply not flying ?

I am from UK also. Recommend a conversation with your TA. Had requested to move my deposit to 2022 cruise but TA called me this week to advise an expectation Regent would cancel before final payment date next week. Also, more importantly they said Regent would allow them to move our deposit into FCC if we needed to cancel if Regent hadn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 1

We opted to self-cancel our January cruise on Splendor.  The $100/pp is insignificant and, while we believe and have never heard of Regent doing this, their T&C states that they are authorized to charge your previous form of payment if the cancellation penalty exceeds the deposit.  Not going to risk the 15% + penalty that hasn't been modified to conform to the 60 day final payment.  Also want to get in line earlier for a refund of the deposit.

We're not risk averse: since the pandemic started, we have booked a cruise on Voyager for August 2021 (joining a previously booked Explorer cruise is March 2022).  Just didn't feel comfortable with January 2021.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Portolan said:

We opted to self-cancel our January cruise on Splendor.  The $100/pp is insignificant and, while we believe and have never heard of Regent doing this, their T&C states that they are authorized to charge your previous form of payment if the cancellation penalty exceeds the deposit.  Not going to risk the 15% + penalty that hasn't been modified to conform to the 60 day final payment.  Also want to get in line earlier for a refund of the deposit.

We're not risk averse: since the pandemic started, we have booked a cruise on Voyager for August 2021 (joining a previously booked Explorer cruise is March 2022).  Just didn't feel comfortable with January 2021.

UK deposit is 10 or 20 % of cost there is no $100 deposit this side of the pond.........

2 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

UK deposit is 10 or 20 % of cost there is no $100 deposit this side of the pond.........

Yes, I knew the math was different outside the US.  Indefensible, in my opinion, that your are treated differently.

13 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Yes, I knew the math was different outside the US.  Indefensible, in my opinion, that your are treated differently.

They do have stronger government measures to protect travellers, however.  That probably accounts for part of the difference.

Another reason that I refuse to book another cruise until I know cruises have actually been sailing.  I am tired of them holding onto my money.   I have 2 cruises scheduled that are already paid for.  Who knows if they will sail or not, but I am not booking any more for the time being.

• Like 2

Thank you for your post. We truly appreciate the continued patience and understanding shown by our valued guests during this time as we work around the clock with local, state, federal and global agencies, taking all appropriate steps and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19.

We are committed to sharing additional known suspensions at the end of each month. On July 29th we announced that voyages through October 31, 2020 would be suspended, and on August 26, 2020 we announced the suspension of all Seven Seas Mariner voyages scheduled to depart from November 14, 2020 through April 23, 2021. 

At present, there are no further voyage suspensions to announce, but we are constantly evaluating the fluid and evolving situation, keeping our guests’ and travel partners’ best interests at heart, and will provide updates when available. We remain optimistic and hope to relaunch cruise operations in the near future.  Until then, be well and stay safe.

• Like 1

I agree it is ridiculous.  I understand their cash flow issues, but I also have cash flow issues. We are booked on the Explorer November Barcelona to Dubai cruise.  It is obviously not going.  Barcelona cruise port is not open.  Israel is not open for cruises.  EU is not open for cruises for Americans.  The only reason this was not cancelled at the end of August was because they want to hold onto our money.  At this point I do not want FCC, I want my money back so my only alternative is to wait until they cancel.  I do not think I will ever book another Regent cruise based on how they handled this.  I am disgusted.  When there was any chance it would sail I was fine with their not cancelling but now it is beyond any reasonable chance.  Give me my money back so I can do something else.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Regent Seven Seas Cruises said:

We are committed to sharing additional known suspensions at the end of each month. 

55 minutes ago, Regent Seven Seas Cruises said:

At present, there are no further voyage suspensions to announce

13 hours ago, Sannick said:

We are also booked on 13th November Barcelona to Miami.  We are from the U.K. and have a paid a 20% deposit so if we don’t make final payment if the cruise is not cancelled before the 60 day period (which is 14th September) we stand to loose a substantial amount of money.

The Regent poster has confirmed that the earliest date that the  November cruise will be cancelled is the end of September.
So Regent have effectively bounced the difficult choices back to their customers ☹️
Suggest that you discuss your options with your TA. Presumably those options include:

• pay the balance to protect your deposit; then opt for a full refund when the cruise is cancelled (which most believe is inevitable).
  • seek to have the deposit reimbursed (push for cash but probably only a FCC will be offered)
  • forfeit your deposit & attempt a claim through your travel insurance, based on FCO travel advice. Not sure this route would be easy or successful.

Unfortunately the note from Regent is not helpful AT ALL.....If anyone from Regent is reading this now, you can see that 

the natives are restless.....

Please do something about it or risk losing many loyal AND PATIENT  cruisers....

• Like 3

I think the new Regent Representative (I sure miss Jason O'Keefe) will be eating crow next Monday or on 24 September (of course he can say that "at this time" on 9 September there was nothing to announce).   Still won't book flights to Miami for my 28 November cruise because I don't believe this new "verified" Regent representative.

Just my southern sensibility,

Marc

That was an absolutely terrible response from Regent. Despite everything, we were willing to consider booking the 2023 world cruise (assuming we like the itinerary), but now we will just hold off. That is no way to treat your customers.

• Like 1

Carnival and RCG seem to have developed plans for going forward; so far, NCLH has done nothing.  All three NCLH  lines are in lockstep with no apparent plan for slowly resuming cruising.  I do not see NCLH having the ability to remain separate.  If RCG and NCLH merge, they would still be smaller than Carnival.  As RCG does not currently have the funds to purchase NCLH outright; I imagine NCLH will be forced into bankruptcy allowing RCG to step in and purchase the assets at a discount.

This lack of communication from Regent and NCLH is disheartening.

Marc

• Like 1