Why won’t Regent cancel November 2020 cruises?

mmcguir

My travel agent called Regent to find out why my flights were changed and got some rather confusing answers.  Regent did say the new flights they gave us wouldn't work so Regent rescheduled those flights for the November cruise.  This only adds to the mystery of whether cruise is still on or not.  

On 9/9/2020 at 4:22 PM, Regent Seven Seas Cruises said:

Thank you for your post. We truly appreciate the continued patience and understanding shown by our valued guests during this time as we work around the clock with local, state, federal and global agencies, taking all appropriate steps and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19.

We are committed to sharing additional known suspensions at the end of each month. On July 29th we announced that voyages through October 31, 2020 would be suspended, and on August 26, 2020 we announced the suspension of all Seven Seas Mariner voyages scheduled to depart from November 14, 2020 through April 23, 2021. 

At present, there are no further voyage suspensions to announce, but we are constantly evaluating the fluid and evolving situation, keeping our guests’ and travel partners’ best interests at heart, and will provide updates when available. We remain optimistic and hope to relaunch cruise operations in the near future.  Until then, be well and stay safe.

This post by RSSC states that they are "committed to sharing additional known suspensions at the end of each month." So, since nothing was announced today, I can assume that there were no new suspensions to announce.  I guess I better get the flights for my November cruise.

Marc

38 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I guess I better get the flights for my November cruise.

Didn't Regent promise to announce all cancellations within 30 days of sailing?  That would give them until this Saturday to cancel the first of the 17 remaining 2020 itineraries.  All of which are already waitlisted, and they are on 4 different ships.  My bet is that they will all be cancelled, with a very shaky possible exception for one of the ships only.  If Regent waits until next week or later to do it, they are breaking their 30 day promise.  I would not be making any non-refundable flight bookings yet, at least not without some positive affirmation from Regent that they will not cancel.

38 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You are more optimistic than I am. I think they just skipped their deadline.

1 minute ago, SusieQft said:

Didn't Regent promise to announce all cancellations within 30 days of sailing?  That would give them until this Saturday to cancel the first of the 17 remaining 2020 itineraries.  All of which are already waitlisted, and they are on 4 different ships.  My bet is that they will all be cancelled, with a very shaky possible exception for one of the ships only.  If Regent waits until next week or later to do it, they are breaking their 30 day promise.  I would not be making any non-refundable flight bookings yet, at least not without some positive affirmation from Regent that they will not cancel.

Wow, I didn't realize my sarcasm was that subtle!  😀

• Haha 1

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence,” attributed to Oscar Wilde.  It was your intelligence that is apparent in your post and shadows any subtle sarcasm .  Marc, you may want to get those tickets.

From:  U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (HHS) CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC); ORDER UNDER SECTIONS 361 & 365 OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE ACT (42 U.S.C. 264, 268) AND 42 CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS PART 70 (INTERSTATE) AND PART 71 (FOREIGN): SECOND MODIFICATION AND EXTENSION OF NO SAIL ORDER AND OTHER MEASURES RELATED TO OPERATIONS

“This Order is effective upon signature and shall remain in effect until the earliest of (1) [DID NOT HAPPEN]; (2)  [DID NOT HAPPEN]; or (3) September 30, 2020.” (At page 19)

Since (1) and (2) did not happen earlier, by its terms at 00:01 September 30th the order expired.

The Order has expired.  Expiration prior to extension precludes extension.  Nothing stopping the cruise industry from sailing from US ports except their own agreement to cancel through October.  My bags are packed for my December 21st sail date.

Not a happy camper here....

I just looked at Regent's November cruises....there are 9. Of those 9, only two have Miami as a start or end port. All of the other ports are European. The last that I looked, there really isn't anywhere in Europe that Americans can go now where a 14 day quarantine isn't involved.

It would be a great and wonderful thing if the US ports would open, but for most of us "November" folks, that doesn't help a bit.

WHEN are our cruises going to be canceled?

3 minutes ago, scuba diver said:

"has hereunto set his hand at Washington, D.C., this 30th day of September 2020."

I think he missed the deadline.

I agree which may be why he created a complete stand alone document.  Now, if Regent would just cancel my November cruise I can move on to my next trip; I will have had three cruises and two land trips cancelled this year.

3 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I agree which may be why he created a complete stand alone document.  Now, if Regent would just cancel my November cruise I can move on to my next trip; I will have had three cruises and two land trips cancelled this year.

Same boat here.....this will be our 3rd cruise out the window. Really wanted to book Alaska with the 1st class air, but alas that ended today....no FCC to use on that and won't risk more cash....

If this report is true,

then it could be a reason for Regent to delay their announcement until after Friday.  Maybe we will see an announcement on Saturday?

Let me point out that I don't work for Regent.  I am not accepting any free cruises for this advice, however, if they offer I'll take it.  (Cruise anywhere on any Regent ship for any length of time). 

I believe that it was an attempt at extension which was just too late.

From the Title:  THIRD MODIFICATION AND EXTENSION OF NO SAIL ORDER AND OTHER MEASURES RELATED TO OPERATIONS”

From  Applicability:

“This Modification and Extension of No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations “

“Accordingly, the following terms and conditions of the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations signed on March 14, 2020, as modified and extended by this ORDER, SHALL REMAIN IN EFFECT. Consequently, it remains ORDERED:”  (at page 23)

“Accordingly, the terms and conditions of the Second Modification and Extension of No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations, signed on July 16, 2020, as modified and extended by this ORDER, SHALL REMAIN IN EFFECT. “

It is an attempt to extend which is ineffective.  However, I am sure that CDC has people monitoring this board for just such information so that they can correct their errors.  

I have only had two cruises canceled so far. (not even going to count the land vacations canceled) That is probably why I am writing this instead of going through a few thousand photos from our last two cruises and deleting the really really bad ones.  If they don't let me sail this will be the first time in many years that we have not had at least one cruise during the year.

People on the Facebook Group reporting seeing cancellation notices through November 30 or December 31 (depending on browser) on the RSSC website a few hours ago. Now it seems to have reverted back to October. Looks like someone hit the “go live” button too early. I suspect we will hear something later today or tomorrow.

We are booked on Voyager “Cape Town to Rio” January 5, 2020. A post on the roll call for this cruise is claiming that Regent has voluntarily cancelled this cruise, as well as all remaining 2020 cruises.
I have asked for a source. Has anyone else received a travel advisory update?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, BBWC said:

People on the Facebook Group reporting seeing cancellation notices through November 30 or December 31 (depending on browser) on the RSSC website a few hours ago. Now it seems to have reverted back to October. Looks like someone hit the “go live” button too early. I suspect we will hear something later today or tomorrow.

Many times when I click "find a cruise" it defaults to "featured" cruises instead of "earliest departure,"  The earliest "featured" cruise is 4 January 2021.  So, if you don't pay attention when you click find a cruise you may think that the November and December cruises are gone.

PS I was just able to make more dining reservations on my 28 November cruise.

Edited by mrlevin

32 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Many times when I click "find a cruise" it defaults to "featured" cruises instead of "earliest departure,"  The earliest "featured" cruise is 4 January 2021.  So, if you don't pay attention when you click find a cruise you may think that the November and December cruises are gone.

PS I was just able to make more dining reservations on my 28 November cruise.

Not what I was talking about. An actual change to the September 1 announcement, as quoted below on the Voyager roll call.

General COVID-19 Coronavirus Travel Advisory

Updated as of 1 September 2020

GENERAL TRAVEL ADVISORY

The safety, security and well-being of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and the global health environment. With COVID-19 continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we have extended our voluntary temporary suspension of voyages embarking through December 31, 2020. In addition, we have suspended our Full 2021 World Cruise, along with voyages departing through April 2021 aboard Seven Seas Marineremoji768.png, as well as the January 5, 2021 voyage aboard Seven Seas Voyageremoji768.png. For more information for impacted guests on these voyages, click here.

• Thanks 1

Earlier today they edited that advisory to change Regent Reassurance date from 30 September to 31 October; I thought a little strange they didn't change the "as of" date to 1 October from 1 September as they had made a change.  I guess they inadvertently changed the cancellation to date and (quickly) changed it back.

1 hour ago, BBWC said:

Not what I was talking about. An actual change to the September 1 announcement, as quoted below on the Voyager roll call.

GENERAL TRAVEL ADVISORY

The safety, security and well-being of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and the global health environment. With COVID-19 continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we have extended our voluntary temporary suspension of voyages embarking through December 31, 2020. In addition, we have suspended our Full 2021 World Cruise, along with voyages departing through April 2021 aboard Seven Seas Marineremoji768.png, as well as the January 5, 2021 voyage aboard Seven Seas Voyageremoji768.png. For more information for impacted guests on these voyages, click here.

I assume you meant to say "voluntary temporary suspension of voyages embarking through October 31, 2020.

I dont see anywhere on their site that they have cancelled the November/December cruises

6 hours ago, BBWC said:

GENERAL TRAVEL ADVISORY

Always better to check the Regent web site than relying on a post on Cruise Critic.

At https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement, it says:

"Updated as of September 1, 2020

GENERAL TRAVEL ADVISORY

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 coronavirus situation and the global health environment. With COVID-19 continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we have extended our voluntary temporary suspension of voyages embarking through October 31, 2020. In addition, we are suspending our Full 2021 World Cruise, along with voyages departing through April 2021 aboard Seven Seas Mariner®."