Why won’t Regent cancel November 2020 cruises?

mmcguir

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

This type of wild speculation doesn't help anyone.

I totally concur; my post doesn't help anyone.  The only folks that can help answer the questions posted by multiple posters is Regent.  Since they are not allowed to talk, any answers will have to come from NCLH.  They have not been forthcoming.  I am still waiting to book air; so I really do have a vested interest in having Regent (NCLH) be more forthcoming.  If they are going to start with one ship they can at least cancel the other four for November.  Otherwise, they are being hypocritical.  If their excuse is force majeure, then I would ask why the other cruise lines (and corporate parents) have been able to make decisions.  

Marc

12 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Why not call/email the boss and ask him...they say he answers all emails. Better than yelling "Fire" on the forum and possibly alarming people who believe what they read on the internet.

Pcardad, I am but one voice; no impact from me writing to a corporate officer.  However, if there are many . . .

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes
Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Then join in the fight
That will give you the right to be free

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Sure - more people emailing is better than one...but libel on a 3rd party message board seems like it would get you banned rather than provoke a response from Regent. Perhaps starting an email campaign would yield better results?

I agree.  Nothing libelous; I am just afraid that based on lack of information from NCLH whilst CCL and RCG with updates, there "might" be something wrong.  I hope not as I have lots of money tied up in Regent and even made another FCD last week.

Marc

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

I agree.  Nothing libelous; I am just afraid that based on lack of information from NCLH whilst CCL and RCG with updates, there "might" be something wrong.  I hope not as I have lots of money tied up in Regent and even made another FCD last week.

Marc

What is a FCD?
Future  cruise Deposit?

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

That's just silly.......and a huge no-no to post if true. 

Good points.  Since thread was deleted (whilst other pie in the sky speculation is allowed to stay) it might actually be too close to the truth. /sarc/

I need to keep to statistics.  😀

Edited by mrlevin

6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Sure - more people emailing is better than one...but libel on a 3rd party message board seems like it would get you banned rather than provoke a response from Regent. Perhaps starting an email campaign would yield better results?

Libel??? LOL!!! Since when its spouting opinions from anonymous posters actionable? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it was presented as fact, not opinion, and there is demonstrable loss it could be actionable. Our identities are not anonymous to Cruise Critic and would not be safe from a subpoena. One person posting that they cancelled a cruise because of the post would be a loss.

However, my point was that in order to achieve his desired result, he is probably better off with honey then by possibly scaring the people here and possibly getting in trouble with CC.

I like having him around - I would prefer that nothing interferes with that. 😃 

Sure...if he could prove that it was true, that he knew it was true and that he had this knowledge at time of posting.

The point was that some people are susceptible to reading this stuff on the internet...no reason to get anyone's panties in a bunch when he really only wants Regent/NCL to be more forthcoming.....something that I think we ALL want.

And did you read the part about how I like having him around and would hate to see a moderator decide that CC doesn't need to poke NCL with a stick? There is no bad blood between he and I....I think we are in a position of agreement and appreciation of each other's POV.

I agree that there is no reason that cruise ships are not allowed to sail.  I was on the crowded flights and in crowded airports And busy hotels and restaurants In August and agree it is Safer and much easier to distance on cruise ships.  It does seem as if cruise companies are being treated more harshly than other forms of travel.  As I have posted several times I am ready to cruise any time.  However, the countries are required to approve opening of ports and they have not done this.  Our November Explorer cruise is about 7 weeks away.  There is no way this cruise is going to sail with passengers from the US.  Earlier posters had thought it might change from departing Barcelona (The port is closed indefinitely) to Athens but the EU is still not allowing US tourists so Athens wouldn’t work.  Israel has just implemented more quarantines for everyone and US tourists are definitely not allowed.   I have been looking forward to this cruise for a long time and really wanted it to go.  However, when even transiting some airports in the EU is not allowed or is difficult this cruise is not going to happen for US passengers.  I do not know how many of the existing passengers are from the EU Or Canada so it might be possible for them and it would be great for them if they could go.  After all this time I still only know 1 person that has had Covid-19 and they had mild symptoms.

A European river cruise now has COVID issues.  And I found this part concerning.  I think regulators will weigh instances like this heavily in their considerations.  To be fair,  I feel they have a huge responsibility and little room for error.

The outbreak came to light at the very end of a Douro River sailing, and all the passengers on the trip except the two who tested positive had departed the vessel before health authorities could stop them, according to several media outlets. They now are on their way back to their home countries in Europe.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/croisieurope-river-cruise-covid-outbreak/

Another article on the POM/cruise line call yesterday.  Has anyone confirmed that the cruise lines submitted their passenger sailings protocol plans to the CDC yet?  I haven't seen much on the 'open code' materials that the safe sailing panel was going to release?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article245624180.html

ETA - I see that NCLH says it'll submit in 10 or so days.  Wonder where the other lines are in their timing.  And, of course, official review and subsequent modifications will probably be needed.  That's my experience, anyway.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1