Cruise Tour Question

KikiKruiser

Using my Royal Caribbean FCCs, I'm considering an Alaska cruise tour 2021.  Has anyone booked a cruise tour, then decided to drop the tour and keep the cruise (before final payment of course)?  Mainly interested to know if it was no hassle to drop the touring part - as in, no penalty or not having to totally rebook the cruise??  TIA!

Actually, not wanting any further FCC as my future cruises will most likely not be on Royal Caribbean..  Just wanting to know if anyone had found it easy to delete the tour part and convert to cruise only, in terms of having to re-book (and possibly losing perks in the process).   

I would think that at the end of the cruise portion then you would just let guest services know you won't be doing the land portion. Not sure there is any reason to say anything prior to boarding the ship. You've paid (FCC) so it would kinda be like a no show. But letting them know onboard would be assuring they aren't looking for you that would hold up the group continuing on the land trip.

You will be repriced at the current rate.     When you book a cruise tour,  it's a package and not fixed separate prices.    The few cases I've heard about (people who came to this board,  and got cruise tour facts they didn't know about and cut their loses and went independent)   They had to cancel the package.    I suggest you verify the terms-  before you book. It could involve a cancellation and rebook,  where you could be subject to nonrefundable  payments.     Problem is going to be,  the unknown price differences you won't know until you cancel.   

25 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I would think that at the end of the cruise portion then you would just let guest services know you won't be doing the land portion. Not sure there is any reason to say anything prior to boarding the ship. You've paid (FCC) so it would kinda be like a no show. But letting them know onboard would be assuring they aren't looking for you that would hold up the group continuing on the land trip.

Of course,  they can be no shows for any tour after a cruise.   -  at a total forfeit of all funds paid.   Yes they will try to find them if not notified.   If on the train-  they aren't going to hold up the train.  🙂    The op is talking about before final payment.    

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Of course,  they can be no shows for any tour after a cruise.   -  at a total forfeit of all funds paid.   Yes they will try to find them if not notified.   If on the train-  they aren't going to hold up the train.  🙂    The op is talking about before final payment.    

I just didn't understand why the OP would choose/book this option and pay for something they aren't going to use.  Was just offering some suggestions. 

As always thanks for your expert input.

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I just didn't understand why the OP would choose/book this option and pay for something they aren't going to use.  Was just offering some suggestions. 

As always thanks for your expert input.

Yes,  it seems to be just something to spend money on??    I think a better option would be to take advantage of some of the excellent tours perhaps?    A great bear tour-  can run over $500pp as example.    I hope they aren't in a situation of huge amounts of credit??   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

You will be repriced at the current rate.     When you book a cruise tour,  it's a package and not fixed separate prices.    The few cases I've heard about (people who came to this board,  and got cruise tour facts they didn't know about and cut their loses and went independent)   They had to cancel the package.    I suggest you verify the terms-  before you book. It could involve a cancellation and rebook,  where you could be subject to nonrefundable  payments.     Problem is going to be,  the unknown price differences you won't know until you cancel.   

Thank you!  That’s basically what I wanted to know.... if the cruise tour is an “entity” that can’t be separated out, and must be repriced if I decide not to take the tour after the cruise.   To answer the other question asked on this thread, I’m not intending to book something I won’t use as my FCC won’t cover the entire cost anyway.  Just to explain:  because specific cruise tours can sell out I was thinking to grab it now since I do want to take the cruise.  My thinking was if I could find a “better” post-cruise tour (e.g. with another company) I could just do that instead, and eliminate the ship’s option.  Hope I explained myself better!  

3 hours ago, KikiKruiser said:

Thank you!  That’s basically what I wanted to know.... if the cruise tour is an “entity” that can’t be separated out, and must be repriced if I decide not to take the tour after the cruise.   To answer the other question asked on this thread, I’m not intending to book something I won’t use as my FCC won’t cover the entire cost anyway.  Just to explain:  because specific cruise tours can sell out I was thinking to grab it now since I do want to take the cruise.  My thinking was if I could find a “better” post-cruise tour (e.g. with another company) I could just do that instead, and eliminate the ship’s option.  Hope I explained myself better!  

I suggest you back up and determine what you want to see and do mainland  You need to know how many days you have.   There is a whole lot more to consider in addition to basic Cruisetours.   I think it’s a big mistake to simply  pick a tour without knowing the vital details. (Which aren’t in descriptions).      So perhaps look further and find a perfect visit for you.   🤩

20 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I suggest you back up and determine what you want to see and do mainland  You need to know how many days you have.   There is a whole lot more to consider in addition to basic Cruisetours.   I think it’s a big mistake to simply  pick a tour without knowing the vital details. (Which aren’t in descriptions).      So perhaps look further and find a perfect visit for you.   🤩

Thank you.  Yes, I did compare Royal Caribbean’s tour options and the tour I picked covered my priorities (more time in Denali, Talkeetna, Fairbanks than the other tours).  I’m retired, so number of days is quite flexible.  I’ve visited Denali and Talkeetna very briefly years ago on a very quick land visit for work, so this would be a chance to revisit and refresh my memory.  As I mentioned elsewhere, I would probably also look at the option of another tour company’s arrangements besides the cruise line.  It’s just nice to know the options and choices. 😊

• 1 month later...