Can small ships avoid the cruise ban?

lissie

I'm intrigued by this cruise - https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-your-backyard/122705027/kiwi-cruise-company-launches-new-voyages-to-nzs-bestkept-secrets?

It seems to be it has a  good chance of actually happening. The ship is currently in Russia- and obviously by the time it gets here it will have done 14 days quarantine. Their cruises this summer are all NZ or intenational waters (apparently Antarctica counts as that ) - with the sole exception of Macquair Island. 

At only 50 pax it would probably be OK for the max of 100 at gatherings at level 2 as well.  They want 25% up front and rest 60 days before travel ie end of October. Would you take the punt? 

It would be great, and fairly safe as presumably NZ still has its borders closed to international visitors. However October could be a bit early, weatherwise, for cruising down south in a very small ship. I'd happily do it after Christmas though.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It would be great, and fairly safe as presumably NZ still has its borders closed to international visitors. However October could be a bit early, weatherwise, for cruising down south in a very small ship. I'd happily do it after Christmas though.

Sorry  Oct is the deposit date - its actually a NYE cruise - departs Invercargill 30 Dec - NYE in Oban, Stewart Isl - which would be cool - should be light until about 11pm 

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sounds okay but not sure of costs and how do we (my wife and I) get to NZ.

Well Morrison is pushing  for a partial bubble  with NZ and ACT would be one of the  favoured Territories I suspect. 

Unfrotunately I wouldnt be booking if I wasn't already in NZ. 

The prices aren't too bad in the context of the  prices I've seen for air/land trips to say the Chatham Islands ($4k for 4 days!) https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/destinations/subantarctic-islands-travel/unseen-fiordland-and-stewart-island-cruise/ At least they are quoting  the new local cruises in NZ$ . 

I spoke to them and we don't need medical evac insurance  for Stewart Isl/Fiordland (must be  inside the 12 mile limit so ACC applies). They will refund in full if they have to cancel (so long as they don't go bust). 

I'm seriously tempted. 

15 minutes ago, lissie said:

Sorry  Oct is the deposit date - its actually a NYE cruise - departs Invercargill 30 Dec - NYE in Oban, Stewart Isl - which would be cool - should be light until about 11pm 

That would be amazing. 

9 hours ago, lissie said:

Well Morrison is pushing  for a partial bubble  with NZ and ACT would be one of the  favoured Territories I suspect. 

Unfrotunately I wouldnt be booking if I wasn't already in NZ. 

Unfortunately, the ACT is stuck in NSW and we get lumped in with them and their covid-19 restrictions, we have never imposed a hard border. We cannot go to any other state or territory except NSW and we are advised not to even do that, avoid the coast, avoid Sydney. Can't even get bubbles going with SA, NT, TAS or WA due to the likelyhood of NSW people sneaking across as well.

If you want to and you can do it, then do it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lissie said:

The prices aren't too bad in the context of the  prices I've seen for air/land trips to say the Chatham Islands ($4k for 4 days!) https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/destinations/subantarctic-islands-travel/unseen-fiordland-and-stewart-island-cruise/ At least they are quoting  the new local cruises in NZ$ . 

I spoke to them and we don't need medical evac insurance  for Stewart Isl/Fiordland (must be  inside the 12 mile limit so ACC applies). They will refund in full if they have to cancel (so long as they don't go bust). 

I'm seriously tempted. 

I think with those assurances, you should do it if you can.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Unfortunately, the ACT is stuck in NSW and we get lumped in with them and their covid-19 restrictions, we have never imposed a hard border. We cannot go to any other state or territory except NSW and we are advised not to even do that, avoid the coast, avoid Sydney. Can't even get bubbles going with SA, NT, TAS or WA due to the likelyhood of NSW people sneaking across as well.

If you want to and you can do it, then do it.

I don't know Mic, when I was in Merimbula/Eden the other week plenty of ACT plates around and still hundreds of ACT'ers driving around here, to and from their holiday homes or relos, I suppose.  I even saw a few Victorian plates in Merimbula/Eden, perhaps half a dozen, maybe they were there before the border closures and decided to stay in southern NSW.

Edited by NSWP

11 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

One issue could be if the company goes belly up. Doesn't matter what the assurances were, if there is no money there will be no refunds.

Yes that's occurred to me  -its a family owned/run business  so limited info - no accounts for example. They have applied for the COVID subsidy for 4 staff . I'm going to see if I can get insurance for them going out of business 

32 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

What is the NZ government’s position on cruising?

We know that the Australian government is not welcoming. So wondering about the acceptance of a ship, and crew, relocating to NZ.

Basic issue of do they have permission?

https://covid19.govt.nz/travel-and-the-border/border-restrictions/

Border restrictions

New Zealand’s borders are currently closed to almost all travellers to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Border entry restrictions

The New Zealand borders are closed for all but critical travel — protecting public health in New Zealand is paramount. The travel ban applies to all arrivals into New Zealand whether by air or sea.

New Zealand citizens and residents

You have a legal right to come home if you are:

• a New Zealand citizen
  • a New Zealand resident with valid travel conditions.

You do not need approval from Immigration New Zealand before travelling.

Advice if you are planning to travel to New Zealand(external link)

Limited exceptions

There are a small number of limited exceptions to the ban on travelling to and entering New Zealand. These exceptions apply to people who:

• already hold a temporary New Zealand visa
  • don’t have a New Zealand visa.

If you’re not a New Zealand citizen or resident you legally must get approval from Immigration New Zealand before travelling to New Zealand.

List of exceptions from Immigration New Zealand(external link)

There are also exceptions for some vessels. These include cargo ships, fishing vessels unloading catch and ships coming from Antarctica.

Guidance for the maritime sector from the Ministry of Health(external link)

Managed isolation and quarantine

To help stop the spread of COVID-19, people who do arrive in New Zealand legally must complete at least 14 days of managed isolation or quarantine at an isolation facility. Returnees will also be tested for COVID-19 during their stay. 

About managed isolation and quarantine, and what to expect(external link)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

What is the NZ government’s position on cruising?

We know that the Australian government is not welcoming. So wondering about the acceptance of a ship, and crew, relocating to NZ.

Basic issue of do they have permission?

I think the ship Lissie is looking at is a small local one, possibly similar to the one that does overnight trips in Milford Sound. Local crew so no issues.

I asked the question as the OP indicated that the ship is in Russia. Following through the company’s brochures, it says Russian registered and crewed.

Even with an NZ company, there is the issue of admission of ship and crew.

I don’t know. But I would love to go on one of these trips.

Small craft are being denied entry into NZ ,  and are in Covoid limbo

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK2009/S00109/crisis-point-new-zealand-denying-cyclone-season-refuge-for-small-cruising-yachts.htm

Crisis Point, New Zealand denying cyclone season refuge for small cruising yachts

Sunday, 6 September 2020, 7:44 am
Press Release: Ocean Cruising Club

3 hours ago, lissie said:

Yes that's occurred to me  -its a family owned/run business  so limited info - no accounts for example. They have applied for the COVID subsidy for 4 staff . I'm going to see if I can get insurance for them going out of business 

That might be difficult - I was looking for policies here (AU) and since COVID even the couple that used to include cover for business insolvency don't have it anymore (or not that I could find).

Might be easier in NZ.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Good point, I forgot about it being in Russia. However if the crew are all Kiwis they have the right to return to NZ and the trip from Russia to NZ would be ample quarantine.

That's what I'm  thinking -  the ship is owned by the Russian govt but is leased to Heritage and has been for about 30 years. I'm  thinking most of the crew are NZ citizens or permanent residents. https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/about/ships/spirit-enderby/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwOz6BRCgARIsAKEG4FW106Il5B43h-w7a6lDqO0c5rQAJnEzhrwbCBIv7TVzqE2cLOkwzQAaAjUGEALw_wcB