Bay of Biscay in the Summer

tring

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I find the crystallised ginger does much the same.  Start taking a little on the day before we cruise.

After 19 days on board with that Captain we were nearly driven mad with his announcements, they were so childish.  However, I'm sure he's excellent at the job.

We've sailed with Neil Turnbull twice and even though the seas had a few potholes, and we had an electrical failure once, he was an excellent captain. I have to honestly say that I enjoyed his humorous announcements and the way he obviously respected his crew. However, I do have a pretty odd sense of humour, so maybe that explains it😊

Avril

• Like 3

23 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I can also say that in a small sailing boat, you are definitely IN the Bay of Biscay, as normally hugging the coast.  In a ship, you are technically not crossing the actual Bay, as you are out in deeper water.  What makes the BoB so lumpy is the water in the Deep Atlantic hitting the shallow depths of the Bay

Thanks Jean, in the back of my mind I vaguely recall being told on one cruise that we were not actually sailing through the Bay of Biscay, more that we were skirting around the edge of it. I couldn't recall who said it or when so I'm glad someone could verify it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Thanks Jean, in the back of my mind I vaguely recall being told on one cruise that we were not actually sailing through the Bay of Biscay, more that we were skirting around the edge of it. I couldn't recall who said it or when so I'm glad someone could verify it.

We were told that too, and if you follow the ship's progess on the cabin TV( if the picture's good enough that is😁) you can see it.

Avril

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 12:35 PM, Adawn47 said:

We've sailed with Neil Turnbull twice and even though the seas had a few potholes, and we had an electrical failure once, he was an excellent captain. I have to honestly say that I enjoyed his humorous announcements and the way he obviously respected his crew. However, I do have a pretty odd sense of humour, so maybe that explains it😊

Avril

We had an unbelievable storm when docked in Rome.  The sea was coming right over the wall and we were not allowed off the ship.  We were held on to the dock by 3 tugs!  Some had already gone ashore before it started.  That was the same Captain and I have no problem with his professionalism.  Just thought his idea of humour was really naff.  I wouldn't have minded if it was different each day, but it was often the same joke.

There was a Captain on Artemis, who is still around I think, but the name escapes me.  Really interesting stuff on the PA.  He gave a talk on leaving Venice and on another cruise another one going throuogh the Bosphorus.  Ah just remembered Captain Box.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Just thought his idea of humour was really naff.  I wouldn't have minded if it was different each day, but it was often the same joke.

It didn't bother us, in fact that was part of the fun. Frank and I would make a bet with each other to guess which joke he would tell at any given time, the loser packed the cases at the end of the cruise. Neither of us got one right the whole cruise😆

Avril

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It didn't bother us, in fact that was part of the fun. Frank and I would make a bet with each other to guess which joke he would tell at any given time, the loser packed the cases at the end of the cruise. Neither of us got one right the whole cruise😆

Avril

I agree with you Avril we were quite happy with Neil Turnbull’s humour and like the fact that he makes regular announcements himself keeping passengers informed.  We were on the same cruise as Jean last year and on the day that she mentions in Civitavecchia we particularly appreciated his regular updates on what was happening.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 5:34 PM, SeaJane said:

I agree with you Avril we were quite happy with Neil Turnbull’s humour and like the fact that he makes regular announcements himself keeping passengers informed.  We were on the same cruise as Jean last year and on the day that she mentions in Civitavecchia we particularly appreciated his regular updates on what was happening.

I didn t mind his humour either.Also he says what he thinks (which he did at one point in the cruise) with Paul Ludlow standing on the side lines! We were  unable to get back onboard in Civitavecchia because of the waves.I had visions of having to be put up in a hotel overnight!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I didn t mind his humour either.Also he says what he thinks (which he did at one point in the cruise) with Paul Ludlow standing on the side lines! We were  unable to get back onboard in Civitavecchia because of the waves.I had visions of having to be put up in a hotel overnight!

That was certainly a fun day Ann, we were up in the crows nest enjoying watching the sea crash over the harbour wall, and watching the tugs trying to keep us from being blown off the berth.

• Like 2

It was quite unbelievable wasn't it.  Held to the dock by 3 tugs.  There was a car on the quay wall and it was just made to look so small.  Stones and small rocks were being thrown up by the sea.  We had tried to go ashore at 10.30 and we never made it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It was quite unbelievable wasn't it.  Held to the dock by 3 tugs.  There was a car on the quay wall and it was just made to look so small.  Stones and small rocks were being thrown up by the sea.  We had tried to go ashore at 10.30 and we never made it.

We were just going down in the lift as others were coming back up and telling us we were not allowed ashore.

14 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

It was the same for us. We were just about to leave the cabin when the announcement was made. It was certainly an unforgettable day! 

• Like 1