Passport Renewal

chasinraynbowz

Has anyone renewed their passports within the last few months?  If so, how long did it take for you to get them back?

We have a cruise in scheduled in November (which I doubt is going) and another in April.  Both of our passports need to be renewed by mid-June so I was planning on renewing after our November cruise which gives us 5 months to get them back.  That should be enough time, but who knows anymore... LOL!

Thanks!!

The Washington Post reported that 'now was a good time to get your passports" in an article on September 4th (https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/passport-processng-coronavirus-/2020/09/03/ae09084c-ee19-11ea-a21a-0fbbe90cfd8c_story.html)

A large backlog of passport applications that was waiting to be processed when the Bureau of Consular Affairs, which also handles visas, went into lockdown in mid-March has been tackled. Passport processors are now chipping away at applications that have arrived since then.

The slowdown caused by the pandemic hit passport operations particularly hard. Most State Department employees in the United States and overseas have been teleworking, but passports cannot be processed at home for security reasons. So almost 1.8 million applications that were in the pipeline just sat there for three months.

Currently they state that processing is taking about 10 weeks.  They hope to get back to a 6 to 8 week turnaround by the end of the month or early October. 

Edited by capriccio

On 9/11/2020 at 5:42 AM, Tjcalley said:

I sent mine 10 days ago and within a few days it showed “In Process” which is a good sign. I need it back by December for a land vacation 

I wish you luck -and hope you are looking at the later part of December.  December 1 is less than 12 weeks off.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, Matco said:

I sent mine in 8/12 and it shows that it is in progress 

Just a follow up to this, I sent my renewal in 8/12 they received it 8/17 and I was just notified that my new passport has shipped today 10/15 so just over 8 weeks by the time it arrives to me, not bad considering the circumstances 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Ashland said:

Just mailed in DH passport renewal..says 8-12 weeks. Ours mailed from Calif goes to Texas and the cost for renewal was $130.00

Mailed mine first class mail last week and it took 8 days to get there so that may be a big factor in the delays. Went to TX as well but cost $110. Didn’t realize it could be different for different states, or is there another reason.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Mailed mine first class mail last week and it took 8 days to get there so that may be a big factor in the delays. Went to TX as well but cost $110. Didn’t realize it could be different for different states, or is there another reason.

Sorry...My bad it was $110.00....Oh those senior moments :classic_blush::classic_blush:

• Like 1

I took my first positive step in terms of future travel.  I filled out my passport renewal and got my photos taken/printed out this morning! 

I decided to get both the book and card this time.  The total cost is $140 as the card costs an extra $30.

The reason I got the card too is that you are now required to possess either a passport or card when traveling in the border region of Mexico.  I wanted something that I can simply put in my wallet permanently and not have to worry about carrying the book all the time.  

11 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I took my first positive step in terms of future travel.  I filled out my passport renewal and got my photos taken/printed out this morning!

I'm doing the same thing this week - I filled out the renewal yesterday and will get my photos taken tomorrow.  Are you mailing using certified or just regular first class mail?

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I'm doing the same thing this week - I filled out the renewal yesterday and will get my photos taken tomorrow.  Are you mailing using certified or just regular first class mail?

Costco does passport photos if you're a member (FYI their photo dept closes Feb 14th).

I mailed mine regular first class mail.

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

I was planning on asking at the post office what they recommend.