business class on British Air

TomBeckCruise

Plenty of information out there about BA's business class so you can judge for yourself, however, for only $200 you'd be nuts to pass it up. Not sure quite what you mean by "broken up into different classes". BA have different business class seats on longhaul and shorthaul and are introducing a new seat on longhaul aircraft.

CDG-LHR will be on a narrowbody aircraft where it's essentially coach but with the middle seat blocked off. You will be served a meal with a full bar service. You'll have access to the lounge at CDG (BA use the very nice Cathay Pacific lounge) and there will be priority check-in too.

At LHR you'll have to reclear security (look for Fast Track) and have access to three Galleries Club lounges, two of which have Elemis Spas where you can get a full massage or other spa services. Onboard it'll be a flat bed seat but what kind depends on whether you have the 787-8 or 787-9. If the seatplan is 1-2-1 then you'll have the new Club Suites which have a door and are a fully enclosed suite. If it's 2-4-2 then it'll be the older seats which are also flat beds but less private. You'll get a full meal service onboard just after departure with an afternoon tea-esque snack service shortly before landing. 

This meal service described is pre-COVID 19. BA have pared the F&B back somewhat in recent months but I would expect it to return to the above if things go back to normal by the time you travel.

Keep an eye on your booking. In the current environment BA are changing lots of routes and aircraft.

British Airways has different sections of the 787 that are Business class, perhaps that’s what you mean.   If the  difference is for between economy and business, then it’s A great deal.   We’ve enjoyed BA but haven’t liked the configuration of the seats where you either have to climb over someone or they climb over your feet to get to the aisle.  That Is supposed to be changing, but what we experienced last fall.  Hopefully they’ve redone the business class lounges at terminal 5.  

On 9/10/2020 at 2:27 PM, TomBeckCruise said:

We are considering booking a business class flight from Paris thru LHR to Nashville using AA miles. The cost is about $200 more pp to fly through LHR.

Any opinions of business class on BA?  My understanding is they break up business class into different classes? Plane is 787.

Are you saying the BA business class is $200 more than business on another airline, or that BA business is $200 more than BA economy?

52 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Are you saying the BA business class is $200 more than business on another airline, or that BA business is $200 more than BA economy?

Comparing going thru London and flying BA to the US or Flying from Paris to the US on American.  i.e. CDG-LHR-BNA vs. GDG-ORD-BNA. The HRW flight might require another stop if we can't get the direct flight to Nashville.

Using AA miles either way.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I would bet he is looking at the ticket fees associated flying on American versus BA.  The fees from my experience over the last years has been that the BA flight is always more expensive than the AA flight for the same routing.

BA surcharges.

They suck.

If you can find seats on AA metal, take it.  Most times though, you will find BA seats but not AA seats.  And then you are stuck with the BA surcharges.

One thought....you might be able to route via MAD on Iberia and get a lower surcharge.  CDG-MAD-MIA-BNA seems logical.  As it is a daylight flight, the IB seats should work out fine.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:42 PM, FlyerTalker said:

BA surcharges.

They suck.

If you can find seats on AA metal, take it.  Most times though, you will find BA seats but not AA seats.  And then you are stuck with the BA surcharges.

One thought....you might be able to route via MAD on Iberia and get a lower surcharge.  CDG-MAD-MIA-BNA seems logical.  As it is a daylight flight, the IB seats should work out fine.

I know that you know what you are talking about so I wonder what surcharges you are thinking about. 

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I know that you know what you are talking about so I wonder what surcharges you are thinking about. 

Some background articles.  All specifics are subject to change, so keep an eye out on the publication dates.

https://upgradedpoints.com/airline-fuel-surcharges/

https://onemileatatime.com/airline-fuel-surcharges/

Look for the "YQ" in the fare construction.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:42 PM, FlyerTalker said:

BA surcharges.

They suck.

The BA flights are  quicker than other flights by a few hours.  We can fly CDG-MIA_BNA for $155 or CDG-LHR_BNA for $382. 

The cost of seats round trip is $3000-6000 pp. That makes $382 + 57,500 miles seem not so bad.  $6.50 +60,000 {UA} from BNA.

We fly next May. 

I've come to the conclusion that I will use these miles for Business fare each way, and get my balance down to next to nothing.  The pickens seem very slim using miles these days.

One other consideration is the interior configuration of the aircraft.  Many are not thrilled with the BA layout -- I would suggest you do searches for interior cabin photos so you can see what BA and AA have to offer.

Especially as cabin services are in great flux, the actual seat has a greater impact on your overall enjoyment.

37 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

One other consideration is the interior configuration of the aircraft.  Many are not thrilled with the BA layout -- I would suggest you do searches for interior cabin photos so you can see what BA and AA have to offer.

Especially as cabin services are in great flux, the actual seat has a greater impact on your overall enjoyment.

Thanks, I'll keep looking. I thought the layout looked a little odd on the BA plane.

Edited by TomBeckCruise

7 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Some background articles.  All specifics are subject to change, so keep an eye out on the publication dates.

https://upgradedpoints.com/airline-fuel-surcharges/

https://onemileatatime.com/airline-fuel-surcharges/

Look for the "YQ" in the fare construction.

Thank you. Interesting articles. Not  something I have ever thought about since I don't "pay with miles".

4 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Thanks, I'll keep looking. I thought the layout looked a little odd on the BA plane.

It's not only odd, each seat is long, narrow and with very little storage space. The footrest is separate from the seat and is really annoying to put up and down, and you can't access the little storage drawer when it's down. And nearly all window pax have to scramble awkwardly over aisle seat pax legs to get out. Dreadful, worst biz class long-haul product around.

I normally fly AA for the much, much better designed seats with all aisle access and accessible storage, but in these Covid times, because I can't transit thru the US, I am reduced to BA and it feels like flying in a coffin. A crowded row of eight coffins. With no privacy until after takeoff when you can bring up the screen and stop being face to face with a total stranger.

BA are refitting some planes with seats similar to those on AA - look at the seat plan for eight across in biz for the old seats, four across (I think) for the new. But I don't think they've done many yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Thank you. Interesting articles. Not  something I have ever thought about since I don't "pay with miles".

Those surcharges also show up in the prices paid for revenue tickets as well.  So you get a "fare" that can be $1 (as with a current TAP TATL offering), with surcharges pushing the "price" to higher levels.  Again, highlighting that in aviation parlance, "fare" and "price" are two different things.

The fare breakdown showing in ITA Matrix gives one great info on all ticket pricing and the various components.

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Those surcharges also show up in the prices paid for revenue tickets as well.  So you get a "fare" that can be $1 (as with a current TAP TATL offering), with surcharges pushing the "price" to higher levels.  Again, highlighting that in aviation parlance, "fare" and "price" are two different things.

The fare breakdown showing in ITA Matrix gives one great info on all ticket pricing and the various components.

I always just pay with money for my tickets!

10 hours ago, jollyjones said:

It's not only odd, each seat is long, narrow and with very little storage space. The footrest is separate from the seat and is really annoying to put up and down, and you can't access the little storage drawer when it's down. And nearly all window pax have to scramble awkwardly over aisle seat pax legs to get out. Dreadful, worst biz class long-haul product around.

I normally fly AA for the much, much better designed seats with all aisle access and accessible storage, but in these Covid times, because I can't transit thru the US, I am reduced to BA and it feels like flying in a coffin. A crowded row of eight coffins. With no privacy until after takeoff when you can bring up the screen and stop being face to face with a total stranger.

BA are refitting some planes with seats similar to those on AA - look at the seat plan for eight across in biz for the old seats, four across (I think) for the new. But I don't think they've done many yet.

Although I agree with you that it is not the best business class,  it’s not quite that bad.  Beats economy for sure,  but give me a lie flat like Air Canada and the proper spacing.   BA seems to be doing cattle car Business, hopefully that will improve!  

On 9/19/2020 at 2:39 AM, jollyjones said:

With no privacy until after takeoff when you can bring up the screen and stop being face to face with a total stranger.

The divider only needs to be down for the safety demonstration. It even says this on the divider itself...

6 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

I read nothing positive  about BA business class.

Since our flight will be during daylight hours we might fly premium economy on AA to either ORD  or MIA. 3.25 hour layover including Customs in Chicago or make it a hotel stay in Miami. 

Neither of us is in the best health any more.

Keep in mind that some people fly business class all the time and are very aware of differences between carriers. That being said we have enjoyed  BA Business class, even if we didn’t like the configuration.   We also like a true premium economy with a separate cabin and larger seats, kind of like old school business class.  

If Health is an issue,   I would also look at overall length of flights, the times and number of stops.  And if possible on a 787, we find the different pressurization really helps. 

Edited by bennybear

12 hours ago, fbgd said:

The divider only needs to be down for the safety demonstration. It even says this on the divider itself...

Tell that to the flight attendants.

I put it up after boarding, they put it down.

I put it up after the safety demo, they put it down for takeoff.

I put it up after takeoff, they put it down for f&b service.

Just my actual experience ...

On 9/20/2020 at 6:50 AM, TomBeckCruise said:

Since our flight will be during daylight hours we might fly premium economy on AA to either ORD  or MIA. 3.25 hour layover including Customs in Chicago or make it a hotel stay in Miami. 

I fly BA business class longhaul quite often - usually at least once a month. It's fine...not great, but fine. Granted, my work pays for it, so I am less picky as a result, but I have had some very nice experiences on it, and some very mediocre. I don't go out of my way to avoid BA, but I also don't flock to it. 

On 9/20/2020 at 7:50 AM, TomBeckCruise said:

These whinges are so greatly exaggerated. I've personally flown Club World countless dozens of times (always paying my own way so if it was that bad I'd just fly a different airline) and it's perfectly fine,. Yes, the "old" seat it is slightly outdated but BA are introducing world class, industry leading seats fleetwide so you could end up with them.

The primary whinges people have about the old seats are:

1) That you have to step over your seatmate...If that person is fully reclined then their feet will be elevated about a foot off the floor. You can balance yourself against the shell of the seat if you're shaky on your feet or drunk. It's really nothing compared to having to high jump aisle seat passengers if you've had to do that on industry standard business class seats that have been around since the 1980s/1990s...

2) You are facing your seatmate. Yes, but actually if you're travelling with that person (as you are) this is a nice benefit. You are actually facing them so you don't have to crane your neck to hold conversation. If not then put the divider up, it only needs to be down for the safety demonstration.

3) Half the seats go backwards. And apart from during takeoff you'd never be able to tell. As the aircraft travels nose up in cruise the backwards facing passengers that are sleeping in their flat beds have their heads raised slightly which I find helps me sleep better than facing forwards.

BA's crews are nearly entirely excellent and their F&B options (outside of COVID) has got a lot better in recent years. Their lounges are spacious and well appointed and a world apart from any United Club, Admirals Club or Delta Sky Club.

However negative the reviews I can guarantee it'll be better than any premium economy product out there...and who knows you may even get the fancy new seats which rival longhaul first class on many top carriers.

Edited by fbgd

Agree that some concerns are overblown, and would choose Business for the small amount mentioned.   But the lounge in Rome has no toilets in it.  Terminal 5 Heathrow lounge was in dire need of a makeover last fall, ripped worn out upholstery.  Hope they have redone that but it was quite appalling.  Not comparable at all to even Air Canada,  where the Business class lounge in Vancouver is stunning, hopefully BA will up their game.