Snagged a FTTF

CheersPkg4Us

Rcl is giving out boarding times on some ships starting at 2:30 even if you are a suite guest, diamond plus ... whatever. Their version of fttf is the key and if it's not good until 2:30 may only be worth it for other benefits. 

Have any of those who have November cruises posted what boarding times they got?  

Who knows, who cares, if I could afford to go on the cruise, I don't think it will break me if the plan gets altered, changed or modified and Carnival comes out on the better end (as usual). I can always cancel in advance. If the cruise gets canceled, they will refund me. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl is giving out boarding times on some ships starting at 2:30 even if you are a suite guest, diamond plus ... whatever. Their version of fttf is the key and if it's not good until 2:30 may only be worth it for other benefits. 

Have any of those who have November cruises posted what boarding times they got?  

The Key offers more benefits than FTTF, but it is significantly more expensive. Personally I would never purchase either program, but they are both popular with a lot of cruisers. 

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The Key offers more benefits than FTTF, but it is significantly more expensive. Personally I would never purchase either program, but they are both popular with a lot of cruisers. 

Mainly the key is purchased by those who want internet. It includes vroom, internet for one device. I only mentioned it as there is a thread on rcl wanting to know how having the key which includes being first onboard will be affected with staggered boarding. I can pre buy the key for half price on some sales. I wouldnt pay full price but might at half price. 

I'm one who got the staggered boarding email for carnival. Hence my comments about how will this affect fttf if all the earliest boarding times are taken. Will carnival enforce these times or can diamond show up before assigned times and board after fttf and ignore boarding times if covid still around? 

20200911_183602.jpg

It will be interesting to see what the different cruise lines implement on embarkation day when cruising resumes. Prior to this pandemic, RCI had the embarkation process down pat, at least from Port Miami and Port Canaveral. We haven’t reached priority boarding status on RCI like we have had on Carnival for years, but the embarkation process on RCI was always faster than what we experienced with Carnival. 

Last time I was on rcl it no longer had priority disembark, at least for loyalty tiers. Only priority embarkation. You didnt miss anything.

Last time I was on carnival was a huge gambling cruise with over 800 priority guests. More than could fit into the Mdr we were assigned to wait in. 

Yes people are waiting. Fttf as pointed out includes less.

The key on rcl also includes a chops embarkation lunch. If boarding is pushed later for extra cleaning rcl wants answers too. Some rcl cruises arent showing boarding until 2:30 for rcl. Sure going to mess up that chops embarkation lunch. Carnival is showing 12:30 starting boarding. 

November looms ever nearer without being cancelled so we might find out soon. 

Anyone who purchases FTTF in advance can cancel it if it looks like they won't need it.  If I wasn't reaching platinum on my next cruise, I would purchase it.  I also purchased the Key when I cruised on RCL.  I like skipping lines, plus the Key came with internet and I always get the internet.  Anyway, FTTF is a personal choice just like the drink package for many people.  I don't mind paying for benefits that will make my cruise more enjoyable.

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm one who got the staggered boarding email for carnival. Hence my comments about how will this affect fttf if all the earliest boarding times are taken. Will carnival enforce these times or can diamond show up before assigned times and board after fttf and ignore boarding times if covid still around? 

I think one thing we can be sure of is enforcement of check-in times. I don't think pier officials are going to tolerate queues of people wrapped around the building as in the past. Nor will they allow 'status' passengers to just go ahead of previously scheduled check-ins. That would go against everything that has been discussed about getting people on and off the ship safely. 

On 9/12/2020 at 7:20 AM, firefly333 said:

20200911_183602.jpg

Carnival has been doing "staggered check-in" for years now.  FTTF, D&Ps, and Suites all get priority boarding, and can check in whenever they like.  The Carnival system "requires" that everyone select a check-in time, even if their priority status overrides it, just in case.  In theory, for example, you could buy FTTF (thinking you don't need to select a check-in time) then cancel it for some reason, so you'd still need a check-in time selected.

For our cruises out of Port Canaveral, check in times have been available as early as 11am, though usually I snag 11:30.  In theory, if the ship clears early enough, FTTF, D&Ps, etc can all start boarding as soon as that is complete, which could be 10:30 or maybe earlier.  Not sure why your notice says boarding starts at 12:30pm -that is later than I have ever seen.  You sailing out of Galveston?

20 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carnival has been doing "staggered check-in" for years now.  FTTF, D&Ps, and Suites all get priority boarding, and can check in whenever they like.  The Carnival system "requires" that everyone select a check-in time, even if their priority status overrides it, just in case.  In theory, for example, you could buy FTTF (thinking you don't need to select a check-in time) then cancel it for some reason, so you'd still need a check-in time selected.

For our cruises out of Port Canaveral, check in times have been available as early as 11am, though usually I snag 11:30.  In theory, if the ship clears early enough, FTTF, D&Ps, etc can all start boarding as soon as that is complete, which could be 10:30 or maybe earlier.  Not sure why your notice says boarding starts at 12:30pm -that is later than I have ever seen.  You sailing out of Galveston?

How do you know this time priority can ignore the times and jump the line? In fact everyone pretty much ignored the times and showed up when they wanted to.

I'm guessing the email means they are working on a version that might get enforced until covid is under control.

Yes I saw times starting at 12:30 on my email. Rcl is starting times at 2:30, giving them more times for extra cleaning than carnival is showing. Time will tell if this time there is actually a staggered embarkation.

But neither of us knows ....

27 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

It's been discussed by ALL of the cruise lines that one of the Covid safety mitigation strategies is to start embarkation boarding LATER and adhere to strict scheduled Boarding times in order to avoid overcrowding in the pier terminals and create situations where social distancing isn't possible. 

The later boarding times would allow ship employees more time to disinfect the rooms, and all public spaces. As we all know current turnaround days are quite stressful for ship employees with all the tasks they are required to perform.  Even with lower occupancy rates the added tasks to maintain a clean shipboard environment between sailings will be an additional burden on employees.  

Since none of the U.S. based cruiselines have released their total Return to Sailing plans we can only speculate what will be done. It seems Disney Cruises will implement a strict Embarkation schedule and limit the amount of people queueing at the terminals; exactly what I just discussed. Even this news release seems to imply that they don't have any information on how Disney will handle passengers with status and if they can check-in early.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5574

But if you think it out logically it would make no sense and be counterproductive if any cruiseline would allow their status passengers to check-in any time they want. 

Edited by kwokpot

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It's been discussed by ALL of the cruise lines that one of the Covid safety mitigation strategies is to start embarkation boarding LATER and adhere to strict scheduled Boarding times in order to avoid overcrowding in the pier terminals and create situations where social distancing isn't possible. 

Right, I concur with what you said.

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How do you know this time priority can ignore the times and jump the line? In fact everyone pretty much ignored the times and showed up when they wanted to.

I was stating how it had been for the last bunch of years, sorry if I muddled that up.  I don't know what the "new rules" are going to be.

It does appear that the cruise lines are starting to show their hands a bit regarding how they are going to manage pax in the time of COVID-19.

It could make sense to suspend all priority boarding methods for now.

Or, alternatively, they still might assign "behind the scenes" priority boarding slots for FTTF, D&Ps, etc with boarding times prior to the rest of the hoi polloi.  But those emails haven't gone out yet.

:shrug:

3 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Or, alternatively, they still might assign "behind the scenes" priority boarding slots for FTTF, D&Ps, etc with boarding times prior to the rest of the hoi polloi.

Or when you choose your check-in time those with status or has purchased a benefit that includes earlier check in times be given the choice of earlier check-in times to choose. I can't really see any other way around that if you want to have strict control of the boarding process AND given Priority to certain passengers.