American Star information

Suitcasefull

Can anyone help with information re: set up of bathroom on the Star? Have done tons of searches for this ship and there's not much.  I can find a picture of cabins although am sure the web site shot showed when new, but not even a diagram of how bathrooms are arranged.  Is is a regular bathroom with all facilities in one room or is the shower in a separate compartment from the toilet and sink or is it one of those wet rooms where just a curtain is pulled around and most everything gets wet?

Are there any suggestions or advice you could give about the Star?  Have never traveled with ACL at all and know smaller ships can be quirky.

Thanks for any help!

Definitely not the "everything gets wet" style!  I've been on many ACL ships, but not the Star, nor its twin Independence.  But on all the ACL ships I have been on (including the now-defunct Glory, which was even smaller than the Star), the layout was the same:  The bathroom is behind the desk you see in the pictures.  The first thing in the bathroom is the sink.  Next to that the toilet.  Both back up against the corridor bulkhead.  Next to that the enclosed shower, with sliding door.

In the related thread you just posted to, you asked about the beds.  On all our cruises, the beds were similar:  Two twins, either pushed together as shown in the pictures, or separated with one of the nightstands in between.  At some point in the booking process, ACL asks how you want them configured.  It's possible a few cabins cannot be converted, but I think most can.

We are on the verge of booking the Star for New England Islands next July, and on that cruise we plan on booking the Star again for their Baltimore-Jacksonville cruise in November.  The Star and the Independence appear to be identical with one key exception:  On the Star 2nd deck, half the cabins have no balconies, and half do; on the Independence, all of the cabins on that deck have balconies.  We prefer the 2nd deck because it is close to the main lounge.  Cabins without balconies are much cheaper than those with, and since we personally don't find balconies all that great, we're opting for the Star over the Independence (both ships seem to have similar itineraries).  

Edited by DaveinCharlotte
Typo

2 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

Definitely not the "everything gets wet" style!  I've been on many ACL ships, but not the Star, nor its twin Independence.  But on all the ACL ships I have been on (including the now-defunct Glory, which was even smaller than the Star), the layout was the same:  The bathroom is behind the desk you see in the pictures.  The first thing in the bathroom is the sink.  Next to that the toilet.  Both back up against the corridor bulkhead.  Next to that the enclosed shower, with sliding door.

In the related thread you just posted to, you asked about the beds.  On all our cruises, the beds were similar:  Two twins, either pushed together as shown in the pictures, or separated with one of the nightstands in between.  At some point in the booking process, ACL asks how you want them configured.  It's possible a few cabins cannot be converted, but I think most can.

We are on the verge of booking the Star for New England Islands next July, and on that cruise we plan on booking the Star again for their Baltimore-Jacksonville cruise in November.  The Star and the Independence appear to be identical with one key exception:  On the Star 2nd deck, half the cabins have no balconies, and half do; on the Independence, all of the cabins on that deck have balconies.  We prefer the 2nd deck because it is close to the main lounge.  Cabins without balconies are much cheaper than those with, and since we personally don't find balconies all that great, we're opting for the Star over the Independence (both ships seem to have similar itineraries).  

Suitecasefull,

I would agree with Dave on most points ... we, however, do enjoy the balcony (even though, on the small side).

We have been on both the Star (N.E. Islands) and Independence (Southern Golden Isles), usually on Deck three.

Hope this is helpful -- Enjoy your cruise.

NRayH

Thank you both for the replies!  Relief that it sounds like a "regular" bathroom!  I tend to like balconies, even if small, and spend time on them even if (more talkative) travel companion is elsewhere. Looking at the Florida Rivers cruise and hopeful that the river is open everywhere if we go.  Appreciate the help and any more you think of to provide since ACL is totally new to me.

21 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

Suitecasefull,

...........do enjoy the balcony (even though, on the small side).

usually on Deck three.

NRayH

Thanks! Looking at deck 3.  Probably should make a list of questions before posting but they come to me at odd times.  Sorry! 

Do most people change clothes and dress nicer for dinner?  Only small company have sailed was totally casual Blount and most of the time, with exception of special night,  people just wore whatever they'd worn all day on excursions, etc.  Figure no dress-up clothes but will pack slacks and nice blouses in addition to jeans and tops if needed. 

Also, do guys take a jacket or are just slacks and shirt okay?  Companion has only cruised on large ship.

Others who read this, please chime in with comments and suggestions.  THANK YOU!

On 9/12/2020 at 12:32 PM, Suitcasefull said:

Do most people change clothes and dress nicer for dinner?

Also, do guys take a jacket or are just slacks and shirt okay?

My experience:  Usually for dinner folks change their jeans and shorts for something a little less casual. Slacks and shirt fine. Jackets for men at dinner are rare, though you wouldn't look too out of place if you wore one.

6 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

Slacks and shirt fine. Jackets for men at dinner are rare,

Thanks!  No jacket means more suitcase room! 

Guessing can wait until aboard to book excursions where they are offered. 

Please advise if it's better to go ahead and book them early.  Doing the Rivers of Florida trip.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:42 PM, DaveinCharlotte said:

My experience:  Usually for dinner folks change their jeans and shorts for something a little less casual. Slacks and shirt fine. Jackets for men at dinner are rare, though you wouldn't look too out of place if you wore one.

Totally agree with Dave on this -- probably because it is just what I do.😇

I usually have a jacket with us, but seldom wear it to dinner whilst aboard .

NRayH       

9 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

Totally agree with Dave on this -- probably because it is just what I do.😇

I usually have a jacket with us, but seldom wear it to dinner whilst aboard .

Good to know you agree.  Laughed that it (agreeing with him) is just what you do.  Would be nice to meet you couples one of these days.  Had already told "no jacket necessary" which was greeting with happy face so am sure one won't be packed. If you think of anything else, please advise.  Soooooo looking forward to going next spring!

14 hours ago, Suitcasefull said:

Good to know you agree.  Laughed that it (agreeing with him) is just what you do.  Would be nice to meet you couples one of these days.  Had already told "no jacket necessary" which was greeting with happy face so am sure one won't be packed. If you think of anything else, please advise.  Soooooo looking forward to going next spring!

Suitcasefull,

Right now, the only ACL cruise we still have booked is on their Queen of the Mississippi, 10 nights, St. Louis to Pittsburgh  via the Ohio River.

We would, happily, welcome you to join us. 

The Queen of the Mississippi is one of ACL's Paddle-wheelers, 150 passengers, max.

NRayH

12 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

Right now, the only ACL cruise we still have booked is on their Queen of the Mississippi, 10 nights, St. Louis to Pittsburgh  via the Ohio River.

We would, happily, welcome you to join us. 

The Queen of the Mississippi is one of ACL's Paddle-wheelers, 150 passengers, max.

Thanks! Would be nice to meet you. Adding the new trip to Florida might fill 2021.  Had moved one 2020 cruise to 2021 already and just rescheduled another non-cruise trip.  Would love to do the Paddle wheeler sometime, though, and would be interested in your comments after you get back from that one on the Ohio.

10 hours ago, Suitcasefull said:

Thanks! Would be nice to meet you. Adding the new trip to Florida might fill 2021.  Had moved one 2020 cruise to 2021 already and just rescheduled another non-cruise trip.  Would love to do the Paddle wheeler sometime, though, and would be interested in your comments after you get back from that one on the Ohio.

Suitcasefull,

We usually post a review on most of our cruises. So, there will probably be one after the Ohio River cruise, although it will probably be lacking the great detail that many folks include in their reviews 🙁

We have done a previous stern-paddle cruise on ACL's America (our first ACL cruise).  There is not a lot of on-board difference, unless you are in the Paddlewheel Lounge.  Or, on-shore looking at the ship.

One thing we like about ACL's Paddlewheels is that all the cabins have access from an interior hallway.  With some other lines, the access to the cabins is by way of an exposed. but, at least covered, outside walk-way.  Not so nice, if the weather is not co-operative.

NRayH