Finally a CEO stands up to the coronabro cdc!

lbt43

2 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

US Cruises start in November with Carnival 6 ships

US cruise were supposed to start in August, then Sept, then Oct, now Nov? Not holding my breath (though that would help contain C19)...I'm betting 2021 (and hoping for at least August 2021)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lbt43 said:

I was wondering if or when a cruise line CEO would finally say its time to cruise.  Del Rio finally makes a strong statement against the ban.  We need to cruise, NOW.  The cdc is WRONG.

Link?

3 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

https://cruiseradio.net/these-five-carnival-ships-are-scheduled-for-november-cruises/

3 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

34 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

So what. NCL has every ship in its fleet but the Jewel open for booking November cruises. It's nothing but a hope that they'll be cruising by then.  Nothing's changed.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

So what. NCL has every ship in its fleet but the Jewel open for booking November cruises. It's nothing but a hope that they'll be cruising by then.  Nothing's changed.

If you actually bothered to read the article before responding in your dismissive tone, the article states :

"Of course, it’s important to note that given how rapidly the situation is changing, everything is speculation at this point."  
I was simply posting a link in response to another poster referencing the fact about the 6 ships.

7 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

If you actually bothered to read the article before responding in your dismissive tone, the article states :

"Of course, it’s important to note that given how rapidly the situation is changing, everything is speculation at this point."  
I was simply posting a link in response to another poster referencing the fact about the 6 ships.

I read the article. My comment was aimed at the other poster I quoted.

We all want cruising to resume ASAP.  But cruising during a world pandemic has high risks.  It was only months ago with floating quarantine zones with sick passengers with no where to go.  If this happened again just to one ship, it would set cruising back even further.  As we found out, many refuse to wear masks in grocery stores.  Do we really think we want to engage these kinds of people on the high seas?  The Covid hot zones will go up and down.  As soon as they were going down here in Florida, things opened back up with Memorial day.  45 days later we were the Covid hot spot in the world.  The same thing will happen again.  Numbers are going down but Labor day just passed us and bars are now allowed to reopen.  Numbers will spike again.  Herding thousands of people on a ship carries risks.  I just dont want to see things blow up in their face with stranded passengers again.  First responders and hospitals have enough to deal with in this crisis. I cant imagine putting extra work on them to rescue the quarantined ships again.  Too many are concerned only with ME ME ME instead of the bigger picture and how we can snuff this thing out.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

A cruise is a “want”, not a “NEED”.

So is air travel, restaurants, amusement parks, going inside a grocery store... the list goes on and on.  I am guessing you are in favor of living in a cave with internet until the virus no longer exists?

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

So is air travel, restaurants, amusement parks, going inside a grocery store... the list goes on and on.  I am guessing you are in favor of living in a cave with internet until the virus no longer exists?

Amusement parks or traveling for leisure are a "want". Going to the grocery store or flying for essential needs is not. I'm all about getting back to cruising as soon as possible, but sadly I agree that it falls in a different category as essential activities. 

• Like 4

Just now, Tapi said:

Amusement parks or traveling for leisure are a "want". Going to the grocery store or flying for essential needs is not. I'm all about getting back to cruising as soon as possible, but sadly I agree that it falls in a different category as essential activities. 

Wrong, you can pick up groceries at most stores without ever going in (I have been doing it since February), some places (depending on where you live) will deliver it to your darn door.  I travel for a living and we are doing it all with driving and virtual calls, so air travel is also not a "need" unless you have to cross an ocean.

31 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

As we found out, many refuse to wear masks in grocery stores.  Do we really think we want to engage these kinds of people on the high seas? 

The key is to maintain a very strict environment on cruise ships, with no room for this kind of disregard for the rules. Airlines have continued operating during this entire pandemic without a single case of mass infection. But they have also been extremely strict about the rules. You're simply not allowed to remove that mask unless you're taking a sip of your drink or a bite of your snack. Violators are treated harshly. Many will go on a "no fly" list and be banned for life from flying on that specific airline. It seems like MSC has taken a similar approach in the Mediterranean with a zero tolerance policy for anybody who violates the rules.

If we can do something similar here in the USA, and if people go cruising fully understanding that they will have to abide by these rules without exception, then this may actually work. 

• Like 3

Universal Orlando reopened on June 3rd.  Walt Disney World reopened on July 11th.  I have not seen one documented case that pointed directly at these facilities for Covid.

My son, daughter and I have all been working onsite at our employers through the entire pandemic.  The rate of infection at my place of work is dramatically lower than the general population.

Activities can happen safely if people cooperate with the rules.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, lbt43 said:

I was wondering if or when a cruise line CEO would finally say its time to cruise.  Del Rio finally makes a strong statement against the ban.  We need to cruise, NOW.  The cdc is WRONG.

I understand your frustration.

Unless you have underlying conditions that make you susceptible to becoming a fatality, then getting out there on a cruise ship is feasible.   At my age 72, with no underlying conditions, the fatality rate is 0.05 percent.

Still, if your cruise ship becomes infected with the virus, you may be quarantined, which would not be any fun at all.  Also, many ports may not accept cruise ships.   I know the Caribbean is likely the first to open up, but not sure what ports are open?

Further, if you cruise before a vaccine, you would have to social distance  and wear a mask.  This makes it hard to socialize with cruise friends and diminishes the value of cruising.   I prefer to wait until there is a vaccine, which is likely in January.

• Like 1

I'm all for allowing those who want to cruise to go for it.  Hopefully, cruising will begin again in November and if so, it'll be great since we'll see how things roll out then.  It would be a good indicator whether to make final payment in December or not.

So, thanks to all who are willing to take that first step in the recovery.

If a group of CEOs from multi-million/billion dollar companies can persuade the CDC to do what they (CEOs of large cruise companies) want, then IMO, it would really diminish any faith I might have had in the CDC.  Isn't CDC all about protecting the general public, not just the cruising passengers or am I wrong?

Good luck

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Wrong, you can pick up groceries at most stores without ever going in (I have been doing it since February), some places (depending on where you live) will deliver it to your darn door.  I travel for a living and we are doing it all with driving and virtual calls, so air travel is also not a "need" unless you have to cross an ocean.

Yes, we've ordered our groceries that way as well, both by picking up outside and having them delivered to our front door. Unfortunately, its not something that is available everywhere in this country, specially if you are in more rural areas. For them, going inside a grocery store is a need. You can't then call grocery shopping in a store a "want" if it's something that some have access to but  others don't. 

I do travel for a living as well. I'm up on an airplane and I stay at hotels multiple times a week. Many businesses as well as essential workers still need to travel, not to mention people who need to travel for emergency reasons. You can't call air travel a "want" and expect someone to travel from New York to California simply because you can drive between the too. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I'm all for allowing those who want to cruise to go for it.  Hopefully, cruising will begin again in November and if so, it'll be great since we'll see how things roll out then.  It would be a good indicator whether to make final payment in December or not.

So, thanks to all who are willing to take that first step in the recovery.

If a group of CEOs from multi-million/billion dollar companies can persuade the CDC to do what they (CEOs of large cruise companies) want, then IMO, it would really diminish any faith I might have had in the CDC.  Isn't CDC all about protecting the general public, not just the cruising passengers or am I wrong?

Good luck

If the CDC was truly all about protecting the public, then they would not have allowed tens of thousands of people to sit in a stadium in KC last night to watch a game.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The key is to maintain a very strict environment on cruise ships, with no room for this kind of disregard for the rules. Airlines have continued operating during this entire pandemic without a single case of mass infection. But they have also been extremely strict about the rules. You're simply not allowed to remove that mask unless you're taking a sip of your drink or a bite of your snack. Violators are treated harshly. Many will go on a "no fly" list and be banned for life from flying on that specific airline. It seems like MSC has taken a similar approach in the Mediterranean with a zero tolerance policy for anybody who violates the rules.

If we can do something similar here in the USA, and if people go cruising fully understanding that they will have to abide by these rules without exception, then this may actually work. 

Air travel is very risky, especially long flights on a full plane -- proximity plus duration. I don't see that being an issue on cruise ships, as there is a lot more space and no insistence on anyone staying put in any one area, unlike on planes. And because cruise lines are being singled out as "very risky", their efforts to prevent and contain will be stringent; they have to be as the survival of their industry pretty much depends on it. 

The argument that essential flying is in a different class, doesn't really work, imo. Who is defining "essential" and more importantly, who is enforcing it? Are flyers required to show that they have an essential need, like a dying relative to visit, a child to rescue before they can board a plane, a doctor who is the only person who can provide life-saving surgery? Nope. 

My point is that we are already doing it in most sectors, some which are arguably more dangerous than cruising. Some transmissions do occur in these situations, and we don't shut down the industry because of it. Why is cruising singled out? My guess it's because Dr. Fauci said, in March, "I wouldn't get on a cruise ship" and because the people at the CDC who are making the decisions do not understand what the cruising experience is actually like. They probably don't understand that you can be alone, and can social distance on a cruise ship.

• Like 2