South America November 2020 Cruise

Princess123

11 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Well, he didn’t say where they will cruise!

Exactly!  To be honest I can't see it happening and if it does then it will be very limited and extremely restrictive onboard.  Maybe he is just trying to keep shareholders happy?  And of course this is Royal Caribbean we are talking. Azamara is a very different animal. 

Phil 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Exactly!  To be honest I can't see it happening and if it does then it will be very limited and extremely restrictive onboard.  Maybe he is just trying to keep shareholders happy?  And of course this is Royal Caribbean we are talking. Azamara is a very different animal. 

Phil 

I think given that Mein Schiff 6 has hit a problem with 12 crew members out of 150 tested returning positive results in Greece today you can see how difficult it is to restart

16 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Prime8keeper, you say you are disappointed that Azamara has not cancelled your December cruise.   Has Celebrity cancelled their cruises for December?   I don’t believe you should have a bad impression of Azamara because of this as all of the RCL lines are hoping to resume cruising ASAP.   Cunard and Seabourn have cancelled cruises into April 2021 but the lines under Royal are still hoping to salvage some of the winter season.

Personally I'm disappointed with any line who has not canceled South America through 2020. While there may be some cruises slowly resuming come November/December, it is incredibly unlikely to be in South America especially since you still can't even enter Argentina unless you are a resident. Could that change come October 11, sure, but no one really knows. The fact that Azamara canceled the the first two sailings in SA after the TA (through November) makes me believe they realize that upcoming sailings there will be incredibly difficult, if not impossible. Just looking at the lines that are sailing in Europe I have to imagine if and when cruises resume it will be to their private islands in the Caribbean. This will give them far more control with only a handful of ships. As we have seen its a process to get things up and running again successfully. 

What I don't want to find myself in is a position of having to give Azamara a loan for $15K for a cruise that isn't likely to happen. Then I'm stuck waiting months to get that money back. Been there, done that twice, and not about to do it again. I get it though, they are going to do anything they can to avoid canceling the holiday sailings since they come at a premium price. It just would have been nice to get some options as final payment approached. I tried this and wasn't given any guarantees on anything so I opted for the guarantee in canceling, but with a little flexibility they could have kept my deposit. Since everyone talks about Azamara being better than Celebrity I just expected more, however I'm willing to admit my expectations may have been too high. God knows I've been frustrated with Celebrity as well through all of this!  

• Like 1

My concern at this point is whether or not they'll continue to allow the "Lift & Shift" for the SA cruises scheduled in November & December this year (even though they're not cancelled - yet). We've made final payment on our December NYE cruise & would use the FCC towards the Feb 2022 Buenos Aires to Miami itinerary if (when?) Azamara/RCCL cancels the upcoming sailing. Just sitting on pins & needles, waiting to hear something! 

1 hour ago, Nuts4pi said:

My concern at this point is whether or not they'll continue to allow the "Lift & Shift" for the SA cruises scheduled in November & December this year (even though they're not cancelled - yet). We've made final payment on our December NYE cruise & would use the FCC towards the Feb 2022 Buenos Aires to Miami itinerary if (when?) Azamara/RCCL cancels the upcoming sailing. Just sitting on pins & needles, waiting to hear something! 

You can Lift and Shift even if the cruise hasn't been cancelled--we did!  If there isn't a comparable cruise, you can get in touch with Azamara and see if the BA to MIA cruise can be used for your L&S.

16 hours ago, uktog said:

South America isn’t going to happen in November, other lines who are hoping to restart have cancelled selected itineraries like South America and Africa. Azamara should also be proactive in this to help regain some trust. 

100% agree. If they resume cruising it’ll be select Caribbean or European ports. There’s no way South America, Africa or Australia / New Zealand will happen this upcoming season.  Although there is now talk about a travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand starting January that would allow for cruises to operate with Australian and New Zealand residents only. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Prime8keeper, you say you are disappointed that Azamara has not cancelled your December cruise.   Has Celebrity cancelled their cruises for December?   I don’t believe you should have a bad impression of Azamara because of this as all of the RCL lines are hoping to resume cruising ASAP.   Cunard and Seabourn have cancelled cruises into April 2021 but the lines under Royal are still hoping to salvage some of the winter season.

At least Celebrity doesn't impose a cancellation fee.

12 hours ago, hiccups said:

You can Lift and Shift even if the cruise hasn't been cancelled--we did!  If there isn't a comparable cruise, you can get in touch with Azamara and see if the BA to MIA cruise can be used for your L&S.

I tried to L&S but they wouldn't honor the discounts we had received on our scheduled December cruise (40% off cruise fares, CruiseNow onboard booking credit, etc.). Hoping they'll change it soon so that we can move our booking without paying out the nose for a different cruise.

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

People who took the Celebrity non-refundable offer would disagree.

Speaking from experience, as part of the Cruise with Confidence Celebrity is NOT taking a fee if you cancel your cruise.  You get a FCC on a non-refundable deposit in the full deposit amount.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 7:55 AM, Nuts4pi said:

I tried to L&S but they wouldn't honor the discounts we had received on our scheduled December cruise (40% off cruise fares, CruiseNow onboard booking credit, etc.). Hoping they'll change it soon so that we can move our booking without paying out the nose for a different cruise.

Huh, that's surprising--everything on our cruise transferred.  It actually ended up being about $75 PP less expensive because of a difference in port fees, I assume, and we got a cruise that was one night longer to boot!

I'd keep trying, and with any luck you can do the L&S.

Edited by hiccups

On 9/29/2020 at 9:55 PM, Nuts4pi said:

When did you try to Lift & Shift?

Are you dealing with your TA or with Azamara direct?

If your TA is not honouring Lift & Shift, go to Azamara directly, as they need to know if a TA is not playing ball.

https://www.azamara.com/en-au/cruise-with-confidence

Same Cruise, Same Price
Booked your ideal voyage, but need to postpone? You can rebook the same cruise the following year for the same price (including promotions) when you contact us by 30 November 2020.

There is a condition somewhere limiting the move to within a month either way of the same dates and plus or minus a day of the original cruise length.

In spite of that proviso, a number of guests have been able to reach satisfactory alternatives outside the above provisos, particularly when the cruise being Lifted & Shifted is not repeated withing the time frame of the guidelines.

Good luck!

37 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

When did you try to Lift & Shift?

Are you dealing with your TA or with Azamara direct?

If your TA is not honouring Lift & Shift, go to Azamara directly, as they need to know if a TA is not playing ball.

We booked directly through Azamara (onboard during our previous cruise). However, when I inquired about the L&S with them back in early September, we hadn't yet made our final payment. Now that we have, I will probably try to request the L&S again. Though I was hoping they'd first cancel the December cruise (which hasn't happened yet) so we could get the additional 25% FCC towards the next one. 😉

One caveat we face is that this upcoming cruise is not repeated next year - no where within the 11-13 month window from the original cruise date (Dec 21). I'm hoping they'll let us book the one-way (more nights) that they have scheduled in Feb 2022 instead.

2 hours ago, Nuts4pi said:

We booked directly through Azamara (onboard during our previous cruise). However, when I inquired about the L&S with them back in early September, we hadn't yet made our final payment. Now that we have, I will probably try to request the L&S again. Though I was hoping they'd first cancel the December cruise (which hasn't happened yet) so we could get the additional 25% FCC towards the next one. 😉

One caveat we face is that this upcoming cruise is not repeated next year - no where within the 11-13 month window from the original cruise date (Dec 21). I'm hoping they'll let us book the one-way (more nights) that they have scheduled in Feb 2022 instead.

We were able to Lift & Shift two cruises from October & November 2020 to 2021 long before they were fully paid, to within a month either way of the same dates and plus or minus a day of the original cruise length.

When you next contact Azamara, you could mention that you are aware via Cruise Critic Azamara Forum, that a number of guests have been able to reach satisfactory alternatives outside the +/- one month and +/- one day, particularly when the cruise being Lifted & Shifted is not repeated within the time frame of their guidelines.

Hopefully Azamara will do the right thing and allow you an alternate itinerary, maintaining your perks.

It should not make any difference to Lift & Shift whether your booked cruises have been cancelled by Azamara or not yet cancelled.

Good luck!

Yes, at last Azamara has informed us that our South America cruise has been cancelled.  Obviously it's disappointing but not unexpected and I still think it's a shame that Azamara took such a long time to notify us.  A difficult time for everybody and very tough on crew.