Paul Gauguin/Ponant Schedule Changes

Host Jazzbeau

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That's sad--can you articulate what the shift was?

Wendy, it was a shift in tenor, demeanor of crew and management. Less concentration on the guests needs/experience and more on the "optics".

Was everyone on their best behavior and trying to reach perfection? Yes, BUT, the focus was on impressing the new owners, to the detriment of the paying guests.

It was like the king had arrived, and the peasants be damned.

Based on how they are treating customers now, it showed plenty!

As a former director/stage manager, I grasp how "back of house" problems can affect the front. I'm sure it was stressful for the crew. It shouldn't have seeped into the guest experience. Certainly not at their price point!

• Like 2

We were on the same cruise as Pengawin3, and we felt the same way about the change onboard. We were on the tender where the Ponant rep joined the cruise in the Cook Islands. We found him arrogant, and his focus,while waiting for the tender, was looking for new customers on Ponant ships. One couple was interested in the Antarctic cruises that they offer. When he asked the rest of us if we were interested in that, we all said no. We like it warm and tropical, and that's why we were headed to Fiji. After his presentation to employees onboard, some of them expressed how worried they were, and did not expect to have jobs in the future. At that point, we were already booked on the Fiji to Bali cruise in April 2020, and hoped that the change in ownership would not ruin that cruise. As it turns out, Covid19 did that instead.

• 3 months later...
On 10/25/2020 at 6:04 PM, SWFLAOK said:

We were on the same cruise as Pengawin3, and we felt the same way about the change onboard. We were on the tender where the Ponant rep joined the cruise in the Cook Islands. We found him arrogant, and his focus,while waiting for the tender, was looking for new customers on Ponant ships. One couple was interested in the Antarctic cruises that they offer. When he asked the rest of us if we were interested in that, we all said no. We like it warm and tropical, and that's why we were headed to Fiji. After his presentation to employees onboard, some of them expressed how worried they were, and did not expect to have jobs in the future. At that point, we were already booked on the Fiji to Bali cruise in April 2020, and hoped that the change in ownership would not ruin that cruise. As it turns out, Covid19 did that instead.

It may well have been me who was asking about Antarctica! I recall a conversation with the Ponant guy about just that! Arrogant is a great description of his attitude. Meanwhile, my parents thought the Ponant rep was a very sweet man. Crazy!

13 minutes ago, dk34 said:

I'm booked on the June 16th PGCruises FP cruise.  Is there a Ponant site I can check to see if this cruise has been cancelled?  Or will you post a new Ponant document?

The link in post #1 goes to the latest version of the document, which at the moment is Feb. 3, 2021.  I will attach screenshots for you, but ***spoiler alert*** it shows ALL cruises as 'Cancelled/Annullée'

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 4.54.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 4.54.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 4.54.26 PM.png

If I may ask, how did you start the refund process?

I have checked the other thread re PGCruises refunds.  You are the only person saying to get a refund.  Others claimed they were getting refunds, but none actually posted that they received a refund.

When our first Ponant cruise [March 2020 New Zealand] was cancelled [at the beginning of the pandemic when nobody knew who this was going to pay out, or how slowly] they forced us to take FCC – so we rolled it to the same cruise in January 2021.  When that was cancelled I told my TA we were adamant about wanting our money back this time and were prepared to take it to the NYS Attorney General [Ponant LLC is a New York Corporation].  She indicated that that factor was probably the reason Ponant agreed to make an 'exception' for us.  But the NYS AG is a very aggressive regulator, so she might be a useful threat no matter where you live.

Please do notice that the Paul Gauguin shows cancelled only through 5/15/2021

What has been reported is the PG will start cruising again May 22, 2021.

If that changes I'll post but for now I'm staying optimistic that the May 22, 2021 cruise will happen.

The PG is currently in Singapore (on-schedule) for drydock 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlightMedic555 said:

I too hope they  can stick to their May restart date.  I am doubtful they will be able to sail to the Cook Islands or any region outside of French Polynesia for a significant period of time.  I would not be surprised if they modify the itinerary. 

TeKing said he would keep me informed when restrictions are lifted .... they have no problem on Aitutaki right now so we are hopeful. 

13 minutes ago, FlightMedic555 said:

While the Cook Islands appear to be covid free they are just now working out processes for travel to New Zealand.  I can’t see how they will be opening up travel to anyone outside of New Zealand, and potentially Australia, anytime soon.  I hope I am wrong. 

What is the worst that could happen  .... we get to go back to the atolls 😉

No problem  .... 

• 2 weeks later...