What to do with purse at dinner?

thegoaliegirl

I carry a small crossbody purse around the ship with me. I never know what to do with it at dinner (or any other meal). I’ve tried hanging it from the chair but that never works, so I usually wear it. There has to be a better solution. (Leaving it behind in my stateroom isn’t an option). What do you do with your purse at dinner?

I too put it behind me on the chair but have encountered chairs not conducive to that trick. Love having a handy window sill too.

Using the strap on the back of the chair in combination with tucking the bag portion behind me seems to work pretty well.

I have a tiny crossbody for daytime and usually bring a small clutch for use each evening. I have been able to kinda-sorta hold it on my lap by tucking the napkin around it but that’s still pretty tenuous. As it doesn’t have much in it, I’ve been a bit more successful just slipping the end of it under my thigh.

I think a good solution would be one of those purse hooks that allow a bag to dangle under the edge of the table. Might have to double-up the strap on a cross body and the hook wouldn’t work with a clutch but would work with a bag with a little handle. Some of my clutches have an optional chain handle that I could use...but I now need to get one of those hooks!!

• Like 2

Curious what you do when you go out to eat when not on a ship. I'd then do that.

I have this little drawstring pouch that came with a rain poncho which I've used on two different cruises. I carry my phone (camera), lip balm, a tissue and a comb, key card. 

poncho bag.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, clo said:

Curious what you do when you go out to eat when not on a ship. I'd then do that.

I have this little drawstring pouch that came with a rain poncho which I've used on two different cruises. I carry my phone (camera), lip balm, a tissue and a comb, key card. 

poncho bag.jpg

Surely you wouldn't take this to dinner?

My bag goes on the floor between my feet and chair leg ,so that the waiter doesn't trip over it.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Surely you wouldn't take this to dinner?

Surely???? Why wouldn't I? It carries everything I could need. (Forgot to mention reading glasses.) Carries flat in my hand. Sits to the left of my plate about where a napkin would be . Totally unobtrusive. Still wish OP would return and tell us what they do when they go out to eat on shore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thegoaliegirl said:

Thanks for the suggestions. On land I carry a much larger purse, that tends to stay well on the back or side of a chair. Think I’m going to look for a purse hook. 

FWIW, my mother has one, and swears by it.   She uses it all the time, and it seems to work for both largish and small purses.  

Hi, there is a product called a "Hand bag Hook".......here is a photo.  You can google it as well. It works really well.

Sits near the edge of the table and will hold the strap of your bag🙂  This is just an example I found

on Amazon.  There are tons more to choose from.

6 Pack Purse Hook Long Handbag Hanger for Table Desk, Creatiee Portable Bag Holder Under Counter Handbags Hook for Women G...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a purse or "hand bag" hook for many years and always bring them on cruises with us.  It's particularly useful in the dining room on a ship because it sits at the edge of the table and the evening bag is close at hand if needed.  I switched evening bags a few cruises ago, to one without a handle, so I simply sewed a little loop of ribbon to the inside near the zipper - I can flip it out and put the loop over the hanger and I'm done.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I can't imagine carrying a purse around on the ship. The only thing I need is my sign and sail card, especially at dinner. When I'm on a cruise, I feel like the ship is my home. I don't wear my purse around my house.

Glad you don't need to carry anything.  But many of us have things we need with us (meds for example), glasses for

example, tissues for example.  I always use a small cross body (at least for dinner time).  And I need readers to see

the menu but don't want to carry them in my hands.......and of course I don't wear a purse around my house but in

my opinion, that is 2 different animals. 

• Like 8

Re carrying a purse around the ship:  I always chuckle when I see a woman on the dance floor, with a large purse on her shoulder.  Maybe she does need to carry enough things to need a big one, but why not just leave it on the chair or cocktail table she had when she got up to dance?  As far as I know, purse snatchers don't practice their craft on cruise ships.

28 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Re carrying a purse around the ship:  I always chuckle when I see a woman on the dance floor, with a large purse on her shoulder.  Maybe she does need to carry enough things to need a big one, but why not just leave it on the chair or cocktail table she had when she got up to dance?  As far as I know, purse snatchers don't practice their craft on cruise ships.

Now that is something I don't recall seeing.......it does sound a bit funky!  

1 hour ago, clo said:

Now that's interesting. Are you talking about something like an epi-pen for an emergency allergic reaction? Otherwise I'd just go back to the cabin.

No, not an Epi Pen but some meds need to be taken with food. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

No, not an Epi Pen but some meds need to be taken with food. 

Ah, gotcha. I've not had that experience but there are things that I need to take before (trying to) sleep on an airplane. I just wrap the little pills in a piece of foil (a contact lens case would also work).