What to do with purse at dinner?

thegoaliegirl

10 hours ago, clo said:

Oh I know, but I've never heard it usedin the US. It makes me smile.

I know what you mean.  Growing up pasta sauce was called gravy (if it had meat in it ).  In NYC coke -a -cola and other sodas, were called soda.  Where I live now it is called POP.  Growing up ground beef was called chopped meat.  When I moved from NYC, I went into my grocery store and asked for chopped meat, the man looked and me and asked me what I was going to make, and then told me it was grounded beef.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since there isn't anything of real value (except to me) in the bag I carry on the ship, I put it on the floor, next to my chair.  I have to have my comb, lipstick, tissues....stuff like that, at hand.  Not going back to the cabin for every "touch up"!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I have to have my comb, lipstick, tissues....stuff like that, at hand.  Not going back to the cabin for every "touch up"!

+ reading glasses, daily program, meds for dh and me.

• 4 weeks later...

Around the ship, I don't carry anything besides my cruise card.   However, last year I had cataract surgery and no longer need to wear glasses.  Now I can see like an eagle but can't read my watch!  So on the next cruise, whenever that will be, I will need to bring some "cheaters" with me to read the menu.   I have a purse hook which is perfect for an evening bag that has a chain.  I keep it on my left wrist when I am playing blackjack!   For dinner I can set it on the floor next to my feet.

• 1 month later...

This question might become relevant again if, as some have predicted, we need to carry smart phones around the ship with us.

Personally, I do not own one, and don't have any desire for one.  But I am in favor of technology that is foolproof in verifying proof of vaccination, etc.

So, for the techies out there, do you foresee development of a device that can be used for ID and other relevant purposes without phone, internet, camera, and other elements that not everyone cares for, and without the monthly fees!

That’s a good question, shipgeeks. My guess would be if proof of vaccination is required, it would have to be provided well in advance of boarding since it takes a few weeks for the full effect of vaccine. Showing proof of a shot when embarking might not be sufficient as there would be those who wait for the shot until just before the cruise, if they weren’t required to show the proof a few weeks in advance.

Maybe proof would be required as part of the online registration/documentation that cruise lines have us complete. The proof would then be in the ship’s system for that cruise and likely accessible (by those authorized to see it) via the Medallion or bracelet (depending on what your cruise line uses) when the authorities need to see shot status at check in or during the cruise.

As for what that proof will be, who knows? Paper document, electronic device, tattoo (lol)...

If the proof of vaccination is something that is put on a device like a phone or tablet, wouldn’t that proof only need to be provided at the time of initial boarding, so it would not need to be carried around for the cruise (I hope!!)? Though DH has a smartphone, he hates fooling with it so, for example, I put both our boarding passes on my phone; I’d have to do that for his shot record too!! If you travel with someone who has a device, should that be the way vaccination proof is shown, maybe you both could have it on that device.

I believe this is a valid question.

For starters, do you know how dirty, germy, and disgusting our purses get? Yuk. I barely want to think about it. 🤪 This is why I never put my purse on the table. I understand about not wanting to hang it off the chair - I mean in Europe for instance, doing this invites purse snatchers and pick-pockets. Having said that, I don't want to put it on the floor either. So with my cross-body bag, I tie the strap in a knot and hang it on my leg just above my knee. It's not the perfect solution, but no one can really see it that way, and I always know where it is. 😊

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I like to use a wristlet in the dining room. It can hold the basic items including a sea pass card, tissues, lip balm and a phone and can easily slip next to me on the chair. I received a new one for Christmas. It’s a Kate Spade black half moon shape. I think I’ll get a  more casual one for other venues.

Paula

• Like 1

I have a few small cross body purses and I either sit it in my lap while at dinner or hang the strap over my knees, so its off the floor and not in anybody's path when walking.  I am struggling right now with my asthma and always have to have my inhalers handy so its necessary to have something accessible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, shipgeeks said:

This question might become relevant again if, as some have predicted, we need to carry smart phones around the ship with us.

Personally, I do not own one, and don't have any desire for one.  But I am in favor of technology that is foolproof in verifying proof of vaccination, etc.

So, for the techies out there, do you foresee development of a device that can be used for ID and other relevant purposes without phone, internet, camera, and other elements that not everyone cares for, and without the monthly fees!

Yes, the phone had become increasingly more important with the advent of the HUB, online menus, and Chat to keep track of shipmates. I carry a small cross body or wristlet with my phone, S & S card, a few dollars for tips, a  lipbalm (day) or lipstick (evening), some tissues. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2020 at 6:41 AM, Lois R said:

Hi, there is a product called a "Hand bag Hook".......here is a photo.  You can google it as well. It works really well.

Sits near the edge of the table and will hold the strap of your bag🙂  This is just an example I found

on Amazon.  There are tons more to choose from.

6 Pack Purse Hook Long Handbag Hanger for Table Desk, Creatiee Portable Bag Holder Under Counter Handbags Hook for Women G...

I have been using this type of product for years on business trips and anywhere that the bag cannot hang well from the chair.  I don't like it when the  purse slips off my lap.  These are fantastic!

1 hour ago, peanut head said:

I have been using this type of product for years on business trips and anywhere that the bag cannot hang well from the chair.  I don't like it when the  purse slips off my lap.  These are fantastic!

& there are more on Etsy.

In between my feet or under my chair on the floor. I'll keep the strap around a foot to make sure I know it's still there. If there is enough space around the chairs I'll hang it on the side, but in a way that lets me feel that it is there. I'm extra cautious of keeping my bag away from purse snatchers 🙂

I always have some kind of bag with me to carry things around, even on ship. I prefer to have my phone and small wallet handy, lip balm, tissues, and in the near future probably my hand sanitizer and mask.

• 2 weeks later...

My recent solution is pockets. I found out if you buy relaxed fit men's jeans and slacks they have generous pockets. I even get to order by waist measure and length so I never need to hem again. That's really awesome news when you're fun-sized like me. I won't buy a skirt, dress, or pants without pockets.

Sadly sometimes you can't tell if the pockets are generous when making online purchases. I used to enlarge the pockets if they were teeny until a friend made me pockets using a Victorian women's pocket pattern she found online. Here's a photo though this one is much more ornate than what I have. They wore them under their dresses on the side like this. I have black, white, teal blue, navy, and beige. I just clip off the pocket on the dress or skirt so I can reach into the pocket worn under my dress. I guess if you wore skintight pencil skirts these pockets wouldn't work well I suppose, but I never wear that style anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 1:24 PM, geocruiser said:

I know what you mean.  Growing up pasta sauce was called gravy (if it had meat in it ).  In NYC coke -a -cola and other sodas, were called soda.  Where I live now it is called POP.  Growing up ground beef was called chopped meat.  When I moved from NYC, I went into my grocery store and asked for chopped meat, the man looked and me and asked me what I was going to make, and then told me it was grounded beef.

Try the Irish version of that..soda/pop are called minerals over here, and ground beef (or any other meat) is called mince(d) meat. It get confusing at Christmas when we have mince pies but the mince is a fruit mix not meat.

I ordered a bunch of those handbag hooks, they’ll be given out as presents to my female friends and relatives the next time we’re together to celebrate stuff. I’m also adding a bell, it’s an anti theft device if your bag is hanging off the back of your chair. 

I usually have a small evening bag to hold my phone and tissues, also antihistamine lotion if I’ve been attacked by mosquitoes or had a reaction to Aloe. 

• Like 1

I think the nice thing about a purse on a cruise, compared to a restaurant or store at home, is that I'm not carrying anything that someone would want to steal.  No money, no credit cards.  At dinner, my purse is just for my menu glasses, a hanky, lipstick, my ship card.  If I'm in a lounge and want to get up to dance, the purse is good for saving my seat and my drink.

• Like 1

Guess by now you get the lesson;  no big bags  and keep the small ones on table or lap. I bring clutches, evening bags or those little cosmetic bags, sometimes giveaways in tropical themes.             All are feather weight and take up no room in your suitcase.

• 2 months later...

I found the perfect solution to a purse at dinner, if I really want to carry a couple of items like phone, lipstick, sea pass: it's BAMBOO TRADING CO CLUB BAG. It's small, lightweight, comes in all kinds of colors and designs and very pretty and practical. I wear it crossbody and can shift it so it's not in my way while sitting or I can lay it next to my plate. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Trading-Company-separate-Turquoise/dp/B08NG4QW4K/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=bamboo+trading+company+club+bag&qid=1625855741&sr=8-29

I also have some beautiful clutches - two were my mom's and I love them. But I hate carrying something and always afraid I'll set it down and forget it. I much prefer a small crossbody. The ones I found on Amazon's website by Bamboo Trading Co. have more formal looking designs, and more playful ones. I have a pink mermaid tail purse for daytime and a gold/black one for evenings.