Tropical Storm Sally would have been a bother

PelicanBill

Looks like if we were cruising, we'd be shut down in Miami today affecting turnarounds, and some would have an extra day and some shorted a day.

And then from now through Tuesday no ships anywhere near New Orleans or Mobile!

Look at the size of the tropical storm force winds!

image.png.cc3a1db45341543e3b990aae64661d0b.png

• Like 1

Me in Bermuda and we're getting a visit from Paulette, ugh, sigh, same old s*it and drill yet again. But we'll survive with flying colours.

Avocado tree in yard bearing about 200 pears (less than previous years), so it might be bye bye to them, yet again (one year we lost 1000's from 2 trees thanks to hurricane (I now can't remember the name!!)). They're too small now, not supposed to be ready (mature) until November.

We're fine, just getting tired of the blows! Bermuda is built with concrete and the only things we get is major pruning of the greenery, rain, power outage. 

Life goes on. This is Bermuda. 🙃

• Like 4

Glad to hear from you @bluesea777 ! I am covering Paulette and Bermuda over in the Hurricane Zone here on Cruise Critic.

I compared this one to Gonzalo.  Seems similar.  Hope your power outages are short and the roads get opened quickly.  I know your buildings are pretty strong.  Hang in there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's started already, but it's so dark outside for us to see anything. 21:15 pm local time Sunday Sept 13, 2020.

Still have power. All 3 cats indoors, the cat flap shut and covered, 2 litter boxes out filled with litter. Not happy campers but that will do until tomorrow.

Earlier today we put our car in middle of front yard and covered windscreen with old sheet, like we always do - for the umpteenth time. Never ever park your car close to bushes/hedges - they move a lot during storm and would damage the car bodywork.

image.png.b96d0f876bb19e1a4a1a7267bdee95b3.png

Paulette is a direct hit - her eye is due over us at 06:00 am tomorrow morning, and then she will go away from us quickly.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 8:13 PM, PelicanBill said:

Glad to hear from you @bluesea777 ! I am covering Paulette and Bermuda over in the Hurricane Zone here on Cruise Critic.

I compared this one to Gonzalo.  Seems similar.  Hope your power outages are short and the roads get opened quickly.  I know your buildings are pretty strong.  Hang in there!

Gonzalo was 6 years ago in 2014. We were off island for that, thankfully. But his sister Fay hit us a week before and she overturned our 20' boat and delayed our flight off island by 1 day - we were going to Venice Italy for a few days before the Jade cruise. We made it out, but lost one vacation day. The hotel was so kind not to charge us for the lost day. American Airlines just rebooked us for the following day - automatically, we didn't need to call them - they did so and sent us email with new flight dates.

Life in the Hurricane Alley.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Good luck to you @bluesea777

The Bermuda port cam is still up right now, but it’s so dark that it’s hard to make out anything - the lights are still on though so electric is still on and that’s always a good thing!

https://www.portbermudawebcam.com

Just had a look at the Port webcam ... the flash of light every 10 seconds in the left side of picture is the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse.

It's just the beginning. 10:35 pm local time. The max arrives at around 4am in the morning.

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I live in Miami and I doubt Sally would have closed down the port.  Lots of rain and a few gusty winds, nothing sustained.

On Friday at 5pm Miami and the entire SE coast was under Tropical Storm watch. That causes the port to go into condition Yankee, which requires all ships able to leave to do so and no ships allowed to arrive.  Because it stayed far enough away, it would not have gone to Condition Zulu which is full closure.  But Condition Yankee stops Cruise ships from arrival and conducting turnaround.

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

On Friday at 5pm Miami and the entire SE coast was under Tropical Storm watch. That causes the port to go into condition Yankee, which requires all ships able to leave to do so and no ships allowed to arrive.  Because it stayed far enough away, it would not have gone to Condition Zulu which is full closure.  But Condition Yankee stops Cruise ships from arrival and conducting turnaround.

I live in Miami and don't remember any tropical storm watches.  I went online and the weather tweets from our local weather station Friday after 5pm had not mentioned a tropical storm watch because it was not a storm.  It was not a storm until it was south and west of Miami.  It was not supposed to be a storm thus they did not issue watches/warnings. 

Edited by david_sobe

I'm back now. We survived Hurricane Paulette. Not much damage, a few downed poles/lines. 70% of the island went without power at the height of the storm, but now it's gone down to 16% and steadily dropping as the island's electricity company work tirelessly to restore power. We lost ours for *only* 18 hours - not bad, and all stuff in freezer still frozen. Our son never lost power 🙃

About 12 hours of high winds with 3 additional hours of tropical winds at both ends. Not bad. First part was Category 1 and when the eye passed over she became Category 2.

Here is picture of Paulette with Bermuda in her eye ... taken at 6:30 am yesterday.

image.png.b5303bce4122891a407a75b62efa17db.png

Now we're keeping watch on Teddy, ugh, sigh ....

According to Windy app, Sally is much smaller than Paulette. But I hope she isn't too devastating for people in the areas Sally is visiting.

Two tips: 1) put all air conditioners on high and keep them running until you lose power. Keep windows shut so you sit in dry rooms.

2) fill a beaker/cup of water and place in freezer. When frozen place a coin on top and put back in freezer. When your power go off keep freezer firmly shut. When power returned , open and check the coin ....

image.thumb.jpeg.da36b794f0f75a7c336b057ba1dc35f0.jpeg

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2