Miami Hotel – Marriot Brand only – October 2021 Symphony

pasodancer

First time cruising out of Miami so would love your input into my planning.  There are 6 of us departing (me & DH, son w/ wife & 4-year-old & our older son).  This is the 1st time cruising for our sons, DIL & grandson.  We are all flying in the day prior from different parts of the US.  We are footing the bill so I would like to use our Marriott points for the hotel stay.  Have sufficient Marriott points for a decent hotel.

Is it asking too much for a Marriott property that would have a 2-bedroom / 2-bathroom suite and then another room for son w/ his family?  It would be fabulous (probably impossible) if I could find a 3-bedroom / 3-bathroom suite.   But, if not, I would need 3 separate hotel rooms. 

I would like something closer to the port w/ the ability to safely walk to restaurants for lunch & dinner.   

We would probably use Uber, taxi or a hotel shuttle to the port – your recommendations would be fabulous.

Thanking you in advance for your help!  // Maria

I don't have first hand knowledge but when I read your query I remembered staying at a Residence Inn years ago In Charleston, SC and being given a 2 bedroom/2 bath suite (I arrived late - around midnight - and they had given away my room and asked if I would mind a suite 😀).  So I looked up Residence Inns in Miami and the one in Coconut Grove has 2 bedroom/2 bath suites.  https://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi?defaultTab=prepay

It's in a great area of Miami and not far from the port.

In downtown Miami, you’re probably looking at between 200,000 and 300,000 points for three rooms for two nights. Things are less expensive towards the airport and in other areas. Coconut Grove, where the PP mentioned the Residence in is classic Miami. Look carefully at the hotel and check reviews.

Great suggestions - I agree about checking the reviews of a hotel before booking.  Just need the hotel to drop bags, eat, sleep & then head to the port the next day.   Have over 900,000 Marriott points thus far and still racking them up thanks to Rakutin and other rewards sites (can I say that here?).   Big thing is safety of the area to walk, especially w/ a 4-year old in tow who has boundless energy.   

Would you recommend Uber or a hotel shuttle?

1 hour ago, pasodancer said:

Great suggestions - I agree about checking the reviews of a hotel before booking.  Just need the hotel to drop bags, eat, sleep & then head to the port the next day.   Have over 900,000 Marriott points thus far and still racking them up thanks to Rakutin and other rewards sites (can I say that here?).   Big thing is safety of the area to walk, especially w/ a 4-year old in tow who has boundless energy.   

Would you recommend Uber or a hotel shuttle?

Uber or Lyft. Unless something has changed downtown hotels do not offer shuttles from MIA. UberX/Lyft from MIA to downtown should be about $20.  Many choose to fly into FLL instead, about a 25-35+ minute drive and the UberX fare will be about $35+

10 hours ago, pasodancer said:

Interesting about choice of airports - that will definitely be a major consideration for making our air arrangements!   Thank you for leting me know about the possible cost of Uber/Lyft from FLL.   

I spent 9 years of my Navy career living in Va. Beach - happy to help! 😎

On 9/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, JohninDC said:

The Marriott Biscayne Bay, next door to the Doubletree, offers some rooms with a view of the port as well as nearby dining options. Not sure about suite options.

That's a good suggestion, and very convenient.  The Marriott website shows several one bedroom suites, but nothing with two plus.

Perhaps a call to the hotel would determine if an adjacent room may be opened and connected to create the second bedroom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 3:53 PM, pasodancer said:

Is it asking too much for a Marriott property that would have a 2-bedroom / 2-bathroom suite and then another room for son w/ his family?  It would be fabulous (probably impossible) if I could find a 3-bedroom / 3-bathroom suite.   But, if not, I would need 3 separate hotel rooms. 

Yes, it is asking too much, but you are lucky. The Residence Inn Coconut Grove has 2 bedroom suites. Do check room capacity.

Look also at the Marriott Hotel Biscayne Bay and Residence Inn South Beach.