Birthday.

Russell21

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thank you Bill and By The Bay.

I've had a very relaxing day. A nice sleep i  this morning then a delicious fine dining lunch at Bathers Pavilion at Balmoral Beach, with sea views from our table.

20200913_142828.jpg

Happy Birthday Julie! 🎂 Sounds like you have had a wonderful day. What a fabulous view.

My birthday is tomorrow. I won't be celebrating like you have been able to. It will be a very different special day for both myself and my younger grandson who is 10 on Tuesday.

Leigh

The food was excellent. I had marron for a starter, with avocado, green tomato (incredible) and sea vegetables.

20200913_143902.thumb.jpg.815c30b11ead6830efb6b769a3e5e113.jpg

Then I had veal which was delicious eaten plain but absolutely awesome with the accompanying chestnut puree. DH had lamb which was also yummy - we traded tastes.

20200913_151509.thumb.jpg.f8426e5f7098d01451e586e06e0596c0.jpg

Dessert was candied mandarin but the star of the dish was actually the whipped coconut cream which had the most amazing texture, like whipped cream mixed with marshmallow.

20200913_154050.thumb.jpg.f7673a33e5f8e6b686e9078e659c9caf.jpg

We had some excellent wines - champagne, a very nice Mornington Peninsula pinot noir, I had a very unusual dessert riesling and DH had a Canadian Vidal ice wine20200913_153810.thumb.jpg.89cc0d32295f793bf3f06d1a79cda23c.jpg

All in all a lovely birthday, even though we weren't on a cruise this time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Happy Birthday Julie! 🎂 Sounds like you have had a wonderful day. What a fabulous view.

My birthday is tomorrow. I won't be celebrating like you have been able to. It will be a very different special day for both myself and my younger grandson who is 10 on Tuesday.

Leigh

We're almost birthday twins, Leigh. 😊

I hope you have a wonderful day too despite the lockdown. 😘

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

It all looks and sounds perfectly yum. Glad you had a lovely day.

Thanks, Aussieflyer. It's the first time we've been out to a fine dining restaurant in quite a while. Quite often in the last few years I've had my birthday on a cruise - last year my birthday present was a helicopter trip over the volcanoes in Hawaii, and two years before that I was at Olympia in Greece. I've been very, very lucky.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're almost birthday twins, Leigh. 😊

I hope you have a wonderful day too despite the lockdown. 😘

Thank you Julie, I'm sure I will. Yes we are almost birthday twins! Your lunch looked wonderful, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Leigh

29 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

It all looks and sounds perfectly yum OzKiwiJJ. Glad you had a lovely day.

Possum52 best wishes for tomorrow as well. Hoping the lockdown will ease for you soon.

Thankyou Aussieflyer. 

Leigh

Belated Happy Birthday Julie, everything about your celebration looked so good. What a view, the food looked amazing and I see there was some Canadian Ice Wine on offer. (I'm guessing that was a little sweet for your palate.)

Happy Birthday Leigh I hope you get at least a little special treatment for your day. 

I notice that everyone was either too polite or too wise to mention which birthday it was and rightfully so.

Many more years of health and happiness for each of you.

37 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Wishing Julie and Leigh every happiness on your birthdays.  May this coming year be a better one for you both.  

Thanks. Hopefully by this time next year we'll be looking forward to really doing an upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Happy Birthday Leigh I hope you get at least a little special treatment for your day. 

I notice that everyone was either too polite or too wise to mention which birthday it was and rightfully 

Thank you Lyle. My husband has just gone to pick up a takeaway meal. He was going to cook tonight but we decided to have takeaway for lunch instead. It won't be anything terribly exciting though, just burgers.

I'm 21 of course as I'm sure Julie is too😀!

Leigh

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Happy birthday to fellow Virgos 🥳🥳

Thank you David. If we are fellow Virgos, you must have celebrated or will be celebrating a birthday soon, so Happy Birhday to you too.

Leigh

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Wishing Julie and Leigh every happiness on your birthdays.  May this coming year be a better one for you both.  

Thank you Marion. We can only hope the next 12 months are better than the past 6.

Leigh

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Belated Happy Birthday Julie, everything about your celebration looked so good. What a view, the food looked amazing and I see there was some Canadian Ice Wine on offer. (I'm guessing that was a little sweet for your palate.)

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks, Lyle. Actually I do like very sweet dessert wines sometimes. I had a taste of that one and it was very nice but would not have gone with the dessert I had.

For future reference the German category for that wine is Trockenbeerenauslese. It is made from grapes that are infected with Botrytis, it is at this point where sweet botrytis style wine is normally made, but for the ice wine the grapes are left on the vine until they are virtually sultanas and have been frozen at least once. At this point the sugars are at their most concentrated and the ice wine is made.

In my more wealthy days I used to buy a fair bit of German and Italian wines.

Botrytis is referred to as the Noble Rot, and if you wish to try a nice Botrytised sweet wine I recommend DeBortoli Noble One, available in half bottles too. This wine, Australian of course, won so many medals and competitions that Dean DeBortoli ceased entering it, basically to give others a chance.

Edit. About $32.00 a bottle at Dan the Irishman for 2017 vintage.

Edited by Russell21

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thank you David. If we are fellow Virgos, you must have celebrated or will be celebrating a birthday soon, so Happy Birhday to you too.

Leigh

Happy Birthday Leigh, my wife is next Wednesday the 23rd, I'm not even game to whisper the age.