Cheque from Carnival

Pie Eater

Hi all

We received a cheque from Carnival yesterday (Sat) for for the grand total of £13.50

We had a cruise booked for Iona in August and P&O still have our deposit (FCC) we cancelled before full balance was due.

The booking ref. with the cheque matched that of the cruise but no explanation of why £13.50

Any idea - has anyone else received any unexpected cheques?? 

I received a cheque from Carnival for £22.70 with a reference to a cruise we cancelled months ago, but no explanation as to why. I phoned P and O and was told they would investigate. A week later they phoned back to say it was a mistake and to destroy the cheque.

1 hour ago, silversurf said:

I received a cheque from Carnival for £22.70 with a reference to a cruise we cancelled months ago, but no explanation as to why. I phoned P and O and was told they would investigate. A week later they phoned back to say it was a mistake and to destroy the cheque.

I'm astounded!! What a farce.

Avril

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If someone sends me a cheque that I am not expecting, there is no way that I am going to spend time and money finding out what it is for.  It will just sit in a drawer.

After six months  it is common banking practice to reject any cheques that are over six months old .

So now your left with a piece of paper sat in your drawer unless you now spend time finding out what it 

was for and asking them to send another one,should you wish to cash it .

22 minutes ago, kalos said:

After six months  it is common banking practice to reject any cheques that are over six months old .

So now your left with a piece of paper sat in your drawer unless you now spend time finding out what it 

was for and asking them to send another one,should you wish to cash it .

Ok, I'll cash it, but I certainly won't spend time and effort finding out what it is for.

• Haha 1

Like has previously been said if you cash a cheque or keep a credit sent to credit card knowing that it is not yours is breaking the law. If you owe Carnival UK money they have sent to you by mistake and you dont pay it back they eventually realise and send you an e-mail asking for the money back in no uncertain terms and if like me that they are that incompetent they will ask for more than they actually sent you in the first place. Wouldnt trust Carnival UK and their competence at all currently and if you dont pay it wouldnt be surprised if they eventually issued court summons because one hand really doesnt know what the other hand is doing and are in one complete mess both Cunard and P&O.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Wouldnt trust Carnival UK and their competence at all currently

Like many others, I received an e-mail from a well known cruise agency yesterday,  which included a letter from the MD. Hw was trying to be diplomatic, obviously, but his sentiments matched yours exactly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

This from just the other week...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54032709

I know the law is the law, but there is a bit if a difference between £13.50  and £31,000 !

Spending time and money finding out why a cheque for £13.50 has been received, seems pointless. 

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know the law is the law, but there is a bit if a difference between £13.50  and £31,000 !

Spending time and money finding out why a cheque for £13.50 has been received, seems pointless. 

I think I would have noticed if £31,000 suddenly appeared in our bank for no reason and would try to find out where it came from. I'd certainly not spend it. £13.50 however? I'd just think it was something I'd over-looked and given it no more thought.

Avril

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

So theft of something costing £1 is better than £1000 sorry but theft is theft whatever the sum.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

So theft of something costing £1 is better than £1000 sorry but theft is theft whatever the sum.

You will note that I said "the law is the law". I never mentioned actually cashing the cheque, just that I would not bother myself trying to find out what it was for. If, as I previously wrote, I just left the cheque in the draw, it would eventually no longer be valid, and no crime would have been committed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I agree with you. I've even gone back into a shop to return money when they've given me too much change. A pity the same can't be said of some shopkeepers though when I've been short-changed😕

Avril

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I think I would have noticed if £31,000 suddenly appeared in our bank for no reason and would try to find out where it came from. I'd certainly not spend it. £13.50 however? I'd just think it was something I'd over-looked and given it no more thought.

Avril

It could be the interest on the near £4000 it took them 70 days to return our refund money.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

You will note that I said "the law is the law". I never mentioned actually cashing the cheque, just that I would not bother myself trying to find out what it was for. If, as I previously wrote, I just left the cheque in the draw, it would eventually no longer be valid, and no crime would have been committed. 

Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law.

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law.

Sorry, I don't understand your point. If I don't cash the cheque, I have made no monetary gain. Therefore I have committed no crime. Where does the "ignorance" come into play.

• Like 1

Take my word with experience and the stress and inconvenience and total incompetence with Carnival UK of my double refund over payment of my cruise refund received in May, which is still ongoing and not been solved, anyone receiving money or cheques not entitled to they should at least make an effort to repay the amount or get it solved. Carnival UK are in a complete and utter mess especially their finance department and there is no coordination with each other in their actions. Cunard i.e Carnival UK have always stated that they did not receive my first cheque sent to them as repayment of over payment made to me by them. They have confirmed by e-mail that they have received my second cheque sent but still not cashed it 4 weeks later and are totally ignoring my PMs on Facebook. In between all this I had a not threatening but not very nice e-mail from Carnival UK saying that I owed them an amount which exceeded the initial over payment and to pay it immediately. My moral to this is anyone receiving money or cheques from Carnival UK is to inform them and keep a record of all transcripts. We all know what the law is and we might do different things under different times but to make sure they cannot attach any blame to any cruiser with Carnival UK I suggest that people do the right thing and firmly put the ball back into the hands of Carnival UK as I do not having been through what I have since the end of May trust them one bit which I am very sad to say after cruising with P&O/Cunard many times in last 23 yrs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Take my word with experience and the stress and inconvenience and total incompetence with Carnival UK of my double refund over payment of my cruise refund received in May, which is still ongoing and not been solved, anyone receiving money or cheques not entitled to they should at least make an effort to repay the amount or get it solved. Carnival UK are in a complete and utter mess especially their finance department and there is no coordination with each other in their actions. Cunard i.e Carnival UK have always stated that they did not receive my first cheque sent to them as repayment of over payment made to me by them. They have confirmed by e-mail that they have received my second cheque sent but still not cashed it 4 weeks later and are totally ignoring my PMs on Facebook. In between all this I had a not threatening but not very nice e-mail from Carnival UK saying that I owed them an amount which exceeded the initial over payment and to pay it immediately. My moral to this is anyone receiving money or cheques from Carnival UK is to inform them and keep a record of all transcripts. We all know what the law is and we might do different things under different times but to make sure they cannot attach any blame to any cruiser with Carnival UK I suggest that people do the right thing and firmly put the ball back into the hands of Carnival UK as I do not having been through what I have since the end of May trust them one bit which I am very sad to say after cruising with P&O/Cunard many times in last 23 yrs.

Maybe it's time to get your solicitor involved Tom. I think I would now 'those type of emails' are beginning to arrive

Avril