I'm stuck....

southernshug

1 hour ago, southernshug said:

Looking at Alaska next May and I'm down to 2 choices.......celebrity or Holland america. Itineraries are very similar. Which would you prefer and why? 

Very similar or exactly the same.  On an AK cruise, this makes a difference.

DON

Details are everything,    so the cruises are not the same.   No one but you can make the choice,  doesn't matter what anyone else would choose.     I suggest you focus heavily on WHAT you are doing in ports-  first.   Does your choice fit better on one ship over the other?   Port times work? Ports different?     Know-  what you are doing with the touring before any choice is made.     If you want to really know what other people would do-  perhaps just take a poll?   The data means little,  many people haven't been on both.    

Itinerary is everything.....

Sailing south from Seward/Whittier to Vancouver is a particularly great option if you have to rush home. Vancouver is over 1,200 miles closer to the Lower 48. Think in terms of flight times......hope you

Sailing the Inside Passage generally provides a smoother sail. That could be important if you need to maintain your sea legs.

The south sailing gets you into Hubbard Glacier later in the day avoiding morning fog if you are sailing Celebrity.  

Look carefully at port times. 

The excursions, whether self booked or cruise line offerings are very similar. We prefer self booking with smaller groups.

I hope you find a ship and itinerary that you will enjoy. Alaska is glorious.

50 minutes ago, southernshug said:

I am looking at the Koningsdam on HAL and Solstice or Eclipse on Celebrity

Thank you. We have sailed both Solstice and Eclipse, and they are phenomenal - the food, the service, the ships themselves are fabulous. I know you would have a wonderful experience on either ship. I'm sorry I can't speak to Koningsdam but perhaps someone else may.

3 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Thank you. We have sailed both Solstice and Eclipse, and they are phenomenal - the food, the service, the ships themselves are fabulous. I know you would have a wonderful experience on either ship. I'm sorry I can't speak to Koningsdam but perhaps someone else may.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.I am super excited about this cruise and just pray ( as everyone else does) that we can take this trip! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southernshug said:

I am looking at the Koningsdam on HAL and Solstice or Eclipse on Celebrity

Significant are the "details" of the Celebrity itinerary differences on these 2 cruises.   Very different.    So be sure to consider that perhaps?