Carnival Australia Information

cmukid87

8 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

That's a very marginal technicality. I don't see that much of a difference between the two brands. P&O for instance has two extra no charge restaurants on most of its ships, which I'd be surprised if they didn't carry over to Adventure and Encounter.

It's not a technicality, it is how they are graded. I just gave an example, but it's not the only difference.

And yes I personally rate the P&O speciality dining very highly, but that doesn't change the line's grading.

The P&O loyalty program is the Princess loyalty program. Which comes in handy for many of us.

No, P&o sailings give credit to the Princess program - as P&O don't have a program.

Is there something that prevents access to the P&O cruise website from overseas? I wasn't aware of it.

Anyway, the point is if the OP is coming all this way he/she may not be aware that Carnival here is not the force it is in US waters and other options from Princess and P&O may have better suited itineraries.

It's not at access issue but that doesn't mean that it is easy to make bookings from overseas, which is what I said. 

And that's fine if it was the point, but it wasn't actually the  point that came across, and I corrected a few things so that the poster didn't get the wrong expectations. It doesn't really matter how many sailings they have but how they appeal, which is why I added to it. As the poster has loyalty membership with Carnival, they will get benefits they will not get on other lines which is why they have an understandable preference. Many people sail on lines that aren't the dominant ones here for a variety of reasons; dominance isn't the only factor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Then one of their ships would become the Crown Crown.

Given the kind of year that 2020 has been, nothing would surprise me. However I'd have the renaming of Princess as one of the lower probability events.

Huawei crown

This topic seems to have digressed.  I think I have my answers from the original question.  Thanks all.

And to answer the question about why Carnival...I'm familiar with them, enjoy the product, and they are offering a very appealing deal right now.

This topic seems to have digressed.  I think I have my answers from the original question.  Thanks all.

And to answer the question about why Carnival...I'm familiar with them, enjoy the product, and they are offering a very appealing deal right now.
Which specific deal are you referring to

20 minutes ago, drsel said:
29 minutes ago, cmukid87 said:

Which specific deal are you referring to

$750obc 
There might be other pricing deals but the sailing I was looking at was 8 days, large balcony for $1200 (plus the 750obc).

$750obc 

There might be other pricing deals but the sailing I was looking at was 8 days, large balcony for $1200 (plus the 750obc).

Another cruiser mentioned this deal for the the Carnival Spirit Brisbane departures on 9th and 16th may, but they seem to have disappeared

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

Another cruiser mentioned this deal for the the Carnival Spirit Brisbane departures on 9th and 16th may, but they seem to have disappeared

I have a lot of choices between both Spirit and Splendor all showing as available.  No Spirit in May, though, only Splendor.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

It's not a technicality, it is how they are graded.

Graded where, and by whom?

As the poster has loyalty membership with Carnival

The poster hasn't mentioned this, only a preference.

Many people sail on lines that aren't the dominant ones here for a variety of reasons; dominance isn't the only factor.

I never said it was, but certainly the number and frequency of sailings does have an impact on itineraries and availability which the OP may not have been aware of.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

One interesting point in the article referenced by Bowm54.

What they didn’t know was that at dawn that morning, just after the ship pulled in from its previous cruise, a government epidemiologist named Kelly-Anne Ressler had boarded with seven other staff. They carried suitcases full of masks, gloves, and testing swabs. The New South Wales health agency wanted to screen arriving passengers who appeared to be at risk of having Covid-19, whether because they’d reported respiratory symptoms or had recently been in an affected country. Ressler was shocked by the number she found gathered in a dining room—more than 300, in all. She and her team handed out masks, took temperatures, and asked about travel histories. They decided to test nine people for the virus and allow the others to disembark. Until the results came in, a doctor told the crew, new passengers shouldn’t be allowed on board.

At 5:30 p.m., the tests came back: all negative. The Ruby was cleared to depart on its next cruise.

I think it is amazing that when the previous Ruby Princess returned, with more than 300 people reporting respiratory symptoms, NSW Health tested only nine people and allowed the remaining passengers (including those with symptoms) to disembark. If there had been COVID on board, it would have spread into the community. This shows how lax NSW Health were.

If you believe that headline there was no coronavirus anywhere in the countries those passengers went home to until they arrived back from their Ruby cruise. 🙄

What the article carefully doesn't mention is the hundreds of passengers who arrived from overseas just prior to the cruise starting, and that many of those were from places where the virus was already running wild.

It's a real pity they weren't able to trace Patient Zero on Ruby like they did on Diamond.

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you believe that headline there was no coronavirus anywhere in the countries those passengers went home to until they arrived back from their Ruby cruise. 🙄

What the article carefully doesn't mention is the hundreds of passengers who arrived from overseas just prior to the cruise starting, and that many of those were from places where the virus was already running wild.

It's a real pity they weren't able to trace Patient Zero on Ruby like they did on Diamond.

I believe Patient zero for COVID on the Ruby was either USA or UK because we did not have the virus in the community here by the 8th March. The 'authorities' should know the source of the infection from genomic testing, but the result has not been released publicly.

I agree with your first comment that any international spread of the virus from the Ruby took it to countries that had a lot of infections. Unfortunately, for the people who became infected, this isn't terribly relevant, because it was a new infection for them personally.

41 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I believe Patient zero for COVID on the Ruby was either USA or UK because we did not have the virus in the community here by the 8th March. The 'authorities' should know the source of the infection from genomic testing, but the result has not been released publicly.

I agree with your first comment that any international spread of the virus from the Ruby took it to countries that had a lot of infections. Unfortunately, for the people who became infected, this isn't terribly relevant, because it was a new infection for them personally.

Yes, I'm fairly certain it came from the US or UK too.

But unfortunately, and as usual, the media puts the blame on the ship. Some of those people could have picked it up in their home towns and some may have actually done that and brought it with them. My point is that that aspect is deliberately underplayed in the media.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was just announced today. All Carnival Spirit cruise through to mid-May 2021.

OK. We had tried to book a P&O cruise for May, but due to a misunderstanding with the TA, we missed out. We booked for August 2021 instead. I realise that P&O isn't Carnival, but when one cruiseline cancels, it is likely others will also. Maybe out August cruise will go ahead, but we got a balcony at a great price on $1 pp deposit so we don't have much to lose.

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

OK. We had tried to book a P&O cruise for May, but due to a misunderstanding with the TA, we missed out. We booked for August 2021 instead. I realise that P&O isn't Carnival, but when one cruiseline cancels, it is likely others will also. Maybe out August cruise will go ahead, but we got a balcony at a great price on $1 pp deposit so we don't have much to lose.

August might happen, it's hard to tell. I would hope cruising is starting to open up by then.

August might happen, it's hard to tell. I would hope cruising is starting to open up by then.
It is just that Carnival Spirit is going into dry dock in Singapore in June 2021 so ALL CARNIVAL SPIRIT Cruises up to 16 may 2021 are cancelled

Carnival splendor will be sailing in April as usual.

20 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

A little birdie said princess may change it’s name because of all the bad publicity?

'Covid Cruises' perhaps ?  Will all the pax come back new? th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

Edited by NSWP

• 2 weeks later...