How We Are, Six Months Later....

Host Bonjour

Kia Ora, Cheers, Hello:

I so needed to start with a different greeting, maybe to at least feel like I am someplace else than where I was when I wrote the first post six months ago which feels like–way more than six months ago. I am someplace else, a block away in a café with a mask slung below my chin since no one is within six feet of me while I type. And I thought of everyone on these boards while I was on a ferry boat across Long Island Sound yesterday for a one-hour ride from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport on a pretty day. It wasn't me on the Bounty in Sydney Harbour, or on the Bateau (one of) Mouches on the Seine, but it was a boat going somewhere!

So that's our new reality and the progress, local and slow. Someone on these boards posted pictures from South Island and so I got to see Tasman, Cook, Franz Josef and Fox (which I climbed, still don't know how!) and I thank whomever it was for the post and memories for this cranky Brooklynite who was enchanted and forever changed by an amazing island and incomparable continent. I now even have a Sydney colleague, we don't get many Aussie expats here (I get why!) but I'm thrilled when we do. That's what makes this place great, always has, always will.

Our first How's Everything Where You Are Thread was a great journal of stories by CC members in the first stage of dry dock. It seemed like a good time to start a new series as the seasons are changing in our respective hemispheres, and continue our chronicles here together while we continue to work on staying well, keep informed, remember what's good, and that we've gotten through challenging things before, this is the hard part and you know what? We are doing OK. 

You can revisit any of the posts you have made in the previous topics, these conversations are an important record of this time. 

As a reminder, please always keep in mind Cruise Critic's member guidelines concerning posts and in the spirit of keeping yourself and others well, have a thought for each other when responding to posts. You are neighbors here, we are first and always a community, it's been heartwarming to see the kindness exchanged among everyone for birthdays, anniversaries, and even losses.

We already knew there were bonds but I think we've seen things elevated to new levels and it's been special. I know part of that is because of the culture and traditions of New Zealand and Australia, there's truly no place like it on earth; I know the other part of it is because of Cruise Critic–there's no other community like it online. Thank you, we love you.

Colleen 🤗🥰

Sadly the only ports we're getting to visit are our home ports, if we live near one. For most of us a trip to the nearest beach is all we can do, and for the folk in Melbourne even that is still out of the question for a bit longer.'

But there is hope. Princess released it's latest Australia/NZ itineraries today (for Elites, and tomorrow for everyone else). Bookings have been very active, especially for the more popular cruises and the World Cruise.

There are real hopes of a viable vaccine in the new year which, in turn, may lead to cruising opening up again down here.

Meanwhile we're all travelling virtually with the "Where Was I" thread on our main forum. Do come and join us, Colleen, if you get a spare moment or two. We've been bouncing all over the world on that thread. 

Take care,

Julie

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 7:56 PM, GUT2407 said:

Been a cow of a year, if it can go wrong it has.

No, Chili, not yet but let's see what happens here on November 3rd. I know we're (USA) not the center of the universe but it might help change the mood? I don't know. Been a bit of a downer, because the virus does not know left/right/center. We all just have to buck up and be cautious, look after each other and ourselves.

And we are, we're doing our best.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As ever, you are not wrong GUT.

We just have to keep going and be glad we have this place, good memories, and hope for what's next. Plenty to be grateful for but yes, definitely a cow. Or maybe an angry rhino, hungry hippo, elephant who thinks you're too close to her baby, and a batch of hyenas.

Yeah I said it. 😷😉

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OzKiwi, sorry for the delay! Please use the report button if things go sideways and one of us isn't lurking about; I had a sudden loss in the family (not covid but someone way too young) and so I was MIA, please forgive me. We have been a bit more "easy" with things under the circumstances, with that said, obviously we wish for things to remain comfortable for everyone. ☺️

Let me check and see what the status is of our email accounts. Since our offices have been closed, we haven't been able to get our emails updated etc etc. Otherwise, if you don't want to use the report button for whatever reason (a post might be on the fringe, you're not sure etc) you can always shoot over an email with a link to the post in the message. Also, there's a messaging feature on these boards and so you should be able to message me easily if ever you need to alert me to anything. I'm happy to jump in and take a look. Lately I know there was some er..... interesting posts by a few member(s) on a few threads. We see 😉 

And it IS very exciting that Princess announced itineraries for Aussie/NZ. I think maybe since you're entering summer season, and cases <<seem>> ok (All Hail PM Jacinda!) stable, well, we did somewhat better here in the warmer months anywhere that compliance with CDC/WHO measures was strong. And on the business channel I watch, there's been positivity on all the cruise line stocks so.....it looks good. We have bounced back from tough times before, and we will again. It's just the going through it part that's so icky.

I will be thrilled to read about posts (that might be up already) about bookings, and then soon enough, who was where, what's next. Meanwhile for me, there are a BUNCH of new Aussie shows on Netflix and Prime and Hulu. That's going to have to do it for me for awhile, along with my colleague's lovely Sydney accent. 

Thank goodness we have Cruise Critic and this community. Soon enough, the actual cruises xx

Edited by Host Bonjour

On 9/15/2020 at 12:31 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sadly the only ports we're getting to visit are our home ports, if we live near one. For most of us a trip to the nearest beach is all we can do, and for the folk in Melbourne even that is still out of the question for a bit longer.'

But there is hope. Princess released it's latest Australia/NZ itineraries today (for Elites, and tomorrow for everyone else). Bookings have been very active, especially for the more popular cruises and the World Cruise.

There are real hopes of a viable vaccine in the new year which, in turn, may lead to cruising opening up again down here.

Meanwhile we're all travelling virtually with the "Where Was I" thread on our main forum. Do come and join us, Colleen, if you get a spare moment or two. We've been bouncing all over the world on that thread. 

Take care,

Julie

Update:

Thanks for the invite Julie!

When I first read this I thought "uh oh, what's going on in that thread?" (reflex reaction 😂)

Something made me go take another look and I was "ohhhhh" yay!!!

And the thing was, I was going to see if we could start randomly tossing out dates, where were you in June of 2012? 

Off I go to read!! xx

• 4 weeks later...

Almost a month since the last post and the cruise situation still looks grim. We were booked to cruise out of Sydney to Fiji and then trans-Pacific (including 4 ports in NZ) in March & April of this year, which we canceled just 2 days before we were to fly over, and then Princess canceled all cruises the next day. Very disappointed, but it's a good thing we hadn't already flown over or we might still be stuck there ☹️. We rebooked for Feb & March of 2021 thinking this virus would be behind us by then--and again it's been canceled, although we had come to the conclusion that we wouldn't go under the current conditions even if they restarted the ships. It appears that AU wouldn't let us come in.  Being optimistic, we have booked with Princess again for March & April of 2022. We are anxiously watching what happens in Australia and NZ over the next year so appreciate your updates.

It's good to hear from you, stay hopeful! 🙂 

There was good news about vaccines having a good efficacy rate, and another medicine has received emergency approval use though I believe for very specific treatment cases only, not as a vaccine.

Cruise lines have been working on revised sailing plans with new protocols in place and obtaining certificates to sail from US ports. How that will work internationally will take some time, too soon to figure that out but no reason to think it's off the table.

It looks like there is at least a light at the end of the tunnel, something we can see...moving closer to a way of living we are familiar with, since a lot of work has been done. Here's hoping things stay on track for final use authorization, production and distribution can begin AND no other bumps in the road.

Until then we do our part to help move towards those better times and with any luck you'll be on that cruise in 2022. We will get there. 🙂 🛥️

On 11/9/2020 at 4:17 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

Almost a month since the last post and the cruise situation still looks grim. We were booked to cruise out of Sydney to Fiji and then trans-Pacific (including 4 ports in NZ) in March & April of this year, which we canceled just 2 days before we were to fly over, and then Princess canceled all cruises the next day. Very disappointed, but it's a good thing we hadn't already flown over or we might still be stuck there ☹️. We rebooked for Feb & March of 2021 thinking this virus would be behind us by then--and again it's been canceled, although we had come to the conclusion that we wouldn't go under the current conditions even if they restarted the ships. It appears that AU wouldn't let us come in.  Being optimistic, we have booked with Princess again for March & April of 2022. We are anxiously watching what happens in Australia and NZ over the next year so appreciate your updates.

What we here in Australia are expecting (hoping?) to happen is that cruising will commence mid or late 2021, initially only for locals, then possibly a NZ/Australia bubble, which may then extend to some of the South Pacific islands. Australian and NZ borders will open slowly, initially only to countries with a very low incidence of Covid19. This may change once vaccines are available but restrictions will probably still be in place. Unless a miracle occurs the US will probably be right at the bottom of the list of possible countries who are allowed to visit here. Sadly it's going to be a long struggle back to some sort of normality for your country.

• Like 1

I think Australia has some other problems aside from Covid. For some unknown reason we dont hear about wild fires anymore, is it still going there? How is the situation with the fires? Are they over? I  think its more dangerous than the virus lol 

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I think Australia has some other problems aside from Covid. For some unknown reason we dont hear about wild fires anymore, is it still going there? How is the situation with the fires? Are they over? I  think its more dangerous than the virus lol 

Fires will be back soon, usually start around Nov or Dec.

15 hours ago, Roger88 said:

The fires died out just as Covid hit, and the new bushfire season hasn't started yet. Summer is predicted to be wetter than usual so it may turn out to be a quiet bushfire season. There have been some nasty thunderstorms in the past month, especially in Queensland. There is always something going on here. 😏

Oh goodness let it not be a dry summer! And I guess some lightening may strike somewhere, Queensland is large, vast, and hot. But maybe minimally and away from populated areas. Everyone could use a break. 
Vaccine data is looking good, and while we're all still looking at some time before things look...whatever might be routine, it's sounding better there. Here's hoping it continues along that trajectory.

🙂 xx

8 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Oh goodness let it not be a dry summer! And I guess some lightening may strike somewhere, Queensland is large, vast, and hot. But maybe minimally and away from populated areas. Everyone could use a break. 
Vaccine data is looking good, and while we're all still looking at some time before things look...whatever might be routine, it's sounding better there. Here's hoping it continues along that trajectory.

🙂 xx

The worst of last season's bushfires were in NSW, Victoria and South Australia. In Queensland the fires were mainly from September to November and certainly caused damage. Along the QLD coast where the majority of their fires occured is mainly sub tropical to tropical with a wet and humid season from October through to May. Last season, it was unusually dry as it was in all of Australia. 

The lastest outlook is for good rainfall over most of the country from December to February.

So overall, I think fire services will be sighing with relief with the rainfall outlook, although the average temperature is expected to be higher over south east Australia (South Australia, Victoria , Tasmania, ACT and most of NSW) and the northern coast of QLD. 

Fingers crossed the weather is kind to firefighters, and rural communities.

Leigh

Edited by possum52