Another webinar - the road ahead

andreas_seadream

First of all, thank you again to all of you that joined us a few weeks ago on the webinar. Based on your feedback we have now decided what we are doing this winter. We are going to announce it tomorrow at 2 PM EST during another webinar. Be the first to know and join us again tomorrow:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/4616001119131/WN_OwM5JexxT9qT1bpvWF0_qA

We will try to spend less time presenting and more time for live questions, but we will go over our latest Covid plans and of course share news. Like last time, I have invited Bob Lepisto, Emilio Freeman and Sudesh Kishore to join me.

I hope to see many of you again tomorrow!

• Like 1

Thanks Chris.  As much as we would love to sail SeaDream in the Caribbean, I do not anticipate going to considerable expense to enter such rigid protocols.  Cruising will not be back really until we can cruise as we all love to do.  "Doing our own thing" on the islands is a must and we are fortunate to have great cruising memories.  This will pass, I just hope for sooner rather than later.  I wish SD well and know a great number of UK and EU fans will be looking forward to some Caribbean time.

I found SD's webinar informative, comprehensive and well thought-out. It looks like all voyages (so far) will have the same itineraries as to stops (St. Vincent, Bequia, etc.).  Having to arrive in Barbados the same day may be problematic regarding flights (weather in winter) but better than quarantining for 2 weeks.  I also understood that only 2 Covid tests (pre flight and at ship) will be necessary if considered in-transit at airport. I also applaud the no-masks requirement onboard, though I anticipate SD getting some flack on this. 

We have been to some of these islands before (all beautiful) and will miss going to the more northern ones (BVI, Nevis) but this seems to be a good solution on SD's part to a very difficult and unusual situation.  We plan to be "onboard".      

We were booked in early this April for our first SeaDream trip (round trip from St. Martin). With a week or two to go, SeaDream changed our itinerary to Barbados and then ultimately cancelled because of the travel restrictions.  In August, I used the travel credit they gave me for the cancelled cruise to book another cruise for next March (San Juan to St. Thomas).   Now that cruise has had a total change of itinerary again to Barbados; and contrary to what they told me on the last zoom call, they will require one to be in a ship led excursion if  going into port.   We never expected things to be so difficult regarding taking a SeaDream trip 😬.

But, like most things, its a matter of timing.  I believe they are doing everything they can to keep sailing, and when things change, they will continue to change as well.   Who knows what things will look like in the Caribbean in early 2021?   It could be a situation where SeaDream I offers the Barbados route, and SeaDream II is brought in for a Virgin Islands route.  That would be great.  It could be a situation where SeaDream shore excursions are overpriced and do not take us anywhere we want to go.  It could be they reverse their current postion and require masks onboard, which would be a deal-breaker for me.

But, with their new policy of cancelling up to the day of departure, we can wait and see how things shape up.  I tend to agree with Mr. Avery that if a cruise has too many restrictions and requirements, its just not worth it.  But dang, we are more than ready to get back on a ship in Caribbean.   If we can do so, we probably will do so.

Also, thanks for conducting the seminar. 

I just don't see how we can take the risk of traveling to the destination and then boarding without a vaccine.  We love SeaDream and want to begin cruising tomorrow.  But the statement about not requiring masking on board is scary -- how to we know that the test is 100% accurate --  there may be a "false negative" result that gives an incorrect reading on the tests.  And if I recall, it was indicated that socially distancing will be encouraged.  But, I don't see how this will be possible on the TOY bar or in the lounge, and perhaps the restaurant on a full ship.  Perhaps things will be ok around the pool, but there are possible issues too.   Additionally, arriving on the day of departure is problematic for us.  

I understand that SD is trying to do what they can, given the situation.  But the no masking issue and the distancing increases my concerns about going without a vaccine.  

Staying in tune with everyone's thoughts on the winter schedule. We booked New Year's cruise LAST September and are trying to keep it intact. The itinerary is good..protocols good....we'll get to BGI a day early so delayed flights aren't an issue..PLUS we have the CANCEL POLICY if something comes up. We're going to go for it. December is still a few months away...

Edited by laurelguy
grammar

3 hours ago, laurelguy said:

Staying in tune with everyone's thoughts on the winter schedule. We booked New Year's cruise LAST September and are trying to keep it intact. The itinerary is good..protocols good....we'll get to BGI a day early so delayed flights aren't an issue..PLUS we have the CANCEL POLICY if something comes up. We're going to go for it. December is still a few months away...

Laurelguy, just a word of caution.  As I understand it, the Ultimate Booking Assurance cancel policy only applies to bookings made after 7/22/20.  You might want to check with SeaDream on this if you booked in 2019.  They mentioned on their phone call that one possibility was cancelling and rebooking.  Also, I missed some of the call, so I am not sure, but I have seen some people mentioning the need to fly in the day of to avoid a Barbados quarantine requirement.  

Edited by DWhit

The way I understand it those arriving in Barbados on the day of departure well be considered "in transit" and will go directly to the ship. Those arriving a day or more ahead of departure will be considered visitors and will be subject to Barbados' quarantine.

Edited by cabosal1
grammatic

Gosh I didn't know about the "transit" thing. I do know whatever the case...you have to have documentation of a negative COVID test upon arrival at airport....we DID do a new contract to take advantage of their assurance program. But it is 100% cash back ONLY if the government forces SD to cancel. The "cancel for any reason" is a 100% CREDIT for future cruise...

Thanks for all the helpful posts on the nitty gritty of the logistics for Barbados RTs.

I had to jump off the webinar before it was over, but gather from the posts above that same-day arrival at the airport day of SD departure is required.  Presumably that is also the case on the back-end too, right - meaning one must be able to get a flight out day of disembarking SD?

Just checked American Airlines schedule for December out of Miami as the major gateway to the Caribbean (and we live in South FL).  No doubt other flights from NYC-area airports and maybe DFW?  JetBlue no longer flies to Barbados from FLL.  

There is only one AA flight per day that works - 1030 AM departing MIA arriving BGI at 3 PM - so all those SD guests arriving on that flight would need to be slotted for late afternoon embarkation given the time it takes to process the COVID tests.  (There is a later flight but it doesn’t arrive until 10:00 PM).  

On the disembarkation day, the only flight that works is a 430 PM departure from BGI back to MIA (not sure how many connections there are that late at night for those not ending in MIA).  That means having to wait around the BGI airport all day after leaving SD by 9 AM or 10 AM so they can get ready for Noon arrivals on the next voyage.  Not sure if Barbados would allow folks to get a day room at the Hilton or elsewhere as we and others have done in the past?

Welcome additional insights from those on this thread!

Edited by JES4845

Jess,

SD said you can stay in Barbados post-cruise - just not pre.  No pre-stay will be difficult for many.  We’ve always taken the flight from MIA that gets in at 2:30/3 pm, but always the day before.

I keep wondering what Ho Hum thinks of this new (and welcome) transparency.....

vandrefalk

9 minutes ago, vandrefalk said:

Jess,

SD said you can stay in Barbados post-cruise - just not pre.  No pre-stay will be difficult for many.  We’ve always taken the flight from MIA that gets in at 2:30/3 pm, but always the day before.

vandrefalk

I think Ho-Hum has become a lurker.....  That or he is suddenly shy...😱

Barbados has always been difficult to impossible to get to day of departure from PHX.  Currently flights are just not available without multiple stops and late arrival.  Are US citizens allowed to get to SJU or STT the day before and then take a flight to Barbados?  Don't know  but it still makes it just too much hassle.  I hope all goes well for SD and many cities have direct flights, just not us...

On 9/18/2020 at 3:23 PM, vandrefalk said:

Jess,

vandrefalk

That's weird...I called Miami yesterday and rep said on disembarkation you DO have to go straight to airport. I need to get all this info correct before booking....

This is getting quite confusing, which may be somewhat understandable given this amounts to calling an audible on the eve of the Caribbean season.

First, unless my SD website skills are rustier than I thought, I’m only seeing two voyages with space available from November through April.  Perhaps that is because they are holding slots for all those who booked other voyages, including on SD2 that are now not running.  Thus space may open up later?

Second, I’m not seeing anything in writing on the website (at least not yet) explaining all the requirements, rules and limitations associated with the Barbados voyages (e.g., the tests needed, not being able to stay in a hotel before or after a voyage, etc.).  

We hope for some clarity in coming days, but in the meantime we are on the sidelines after giving some initial thought to trying to book one for a change of scenery.

Exactly! Again conflicting info on post cruise straight to airport or not. Looks like a night in Miami both ways..but worth it we feel with the cancel policy...It will be an adventure regardless! And I believe things will change many time between now and December. Yes! Many sailings are full!  Those November sailings out of BGI will inform much going forward. We think by Dec. 27 things will hopefully be sorted out. sd.thumb.jpg.9ab73062d346daab7558daa49ed88b12.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 2:29 PM, laurelguy said:

Exactly! Again conflicting info on post cruise straight to airport or not. Looks like a night in Miami both ways..but worth it we feel with the cancel policy...

Speaking of the cancel policy, I feel I should post something about what I think is potentially a shifty and dishonest position that SeaDream seems to be taking with regards to my current booking.  It should be of concern to anyone who has a Future Cruise Credit with SeaDream.

When SeaDream cancelled my paid-in-full cruise last March due to Covid concerns, I was compensated by future cruise credits.   These credits need to be used to book a cruise by the end of this year, although the actual cruise itself can be completed prior to the end of 2022.  On August 3, 2020 I booked a cruise using the credit departing from St. Thomas on Feb 28th (I love to be on the ocean for my birthday on March 1st)

Shortly thereafter SeaDream announced their new "Ultimate Booking Assurance" policy.  This policy was discussed on the Webinars by senior management and was said to apply to new bookings.  Senior mangement said the policy was developed at the behest of the line's founder to be help customers in this time of Covid. Also, you can see on the SeaDream website, there is  wording which states that the policy applies to ALL new bookings made after 7/22/2020.  Since my booking was a new booking that did not exist previously, and since it was made after the required date, I assumed that it fell under the category of ALL bookings and I had the peace of mind of the "Ultimate Booking Assurance".

Well, as you know all of the prior itineraries were replaced with ones departing from Barbados.  The new Barbados itinerary departs on the 27th, not the 28th as was listed on my previous booking.  I  had heard nothing from SeaDream about the change, so I thought best to check into it.  I received and email stating that I now had been re-booked on the Barbados trip, but the form cover letter had the old cancellation policy of penalties after 120 days prior to departure.  I assumed this was just old paperwork that had not yet been adjusted to mention the new policy, so I emailed them and asked them to confirm that new  "Ultimate Booking Assurance" policy applied to my new booking.

SeaDream replied back that the 120 days was not correct, but the cruise credits had a 90 day policy and the "Ultimate Booking Assurance" policy did not apply.  I emailed them back and said my booking met the requirements for Ultimate Assurance Policy and I could not possibly confirm going 90 days out.  I asked if they would please reconsider.  They wrote back and said, in essence, "Nope".  

I have subequently emailed them back asking why would SeaDream want to punish me, a brand new potential customer who stood by the company and accepted their cruise credit   (my travel agent said that although they never offered it, I should demand a cash refund) by arbitrarily denying me the same policy they are offering to others?   I noted they certainly had the power to do so, since they already had my payment, but to me, it did not seem to be consistent with the top of the line cruise company I believed SeaDream to be.   I asked if they did not want to stand by their stated and written policy , would they please refund me my 2019 payment.  I could then rebook the same trip and have the policy apply, problem solved.

I will report back on the final outcome, but I wanted to be sure and warn anyone with future cruise credit that they may not be covered.  If I had not specifically asked them, I could very well have forfeited the entire credit should I have decided to change after the 90 day window.  I would hate for anyone else to fall into that trap.

Hope I can jump in here again...is it really a definite "no" from SD? We had a Dec. 2020 cruise booked in 2019 and they allowed us to cancel that one in September and rebook it with a $200 pp penalty. This allowed us to be in the new Assurance program. Yes the Barbados itinerary, testing etc. is problematic but we're trying to make it work!  Keep on them! It helps to have a good TA working on your behalf!