Overseas Holiday from Brisbane & No Quarantine

SeaDog-46

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Have you not been to Tassie before, don? Well worthwhile, been there 3 times on fly/drives and Antarctic Festival in Hobart a couple of years ago.  Great place, I might move there.  Good Whisky.  The bottle my son gave me for Fathers Day is evaporating for some reason.Apera_r-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.47f50f8d4636dc3cad4cc9625b3dcd91.jpg

Haven't tried the Launceston Distillery... will have to try it

Untitled-1.jpg.ee9ae2bef7d74d03318bfb0441b3db8d.jpg

These are my two favorites......

Also in Stanley in the North West  these is a shop which does whisky tasting as well as buy some...

It is in an old bank and the vault is full of Whisky..........

That is where I got the Cradle Mountain Whisky from

Also our first trip to Tassie was in 2008 and since then have spent about 30 weeks on holiday there,

mainly staying in self contained places  

Cheers Don

I love Tassie.  In recent times I've visited every second year for the Australian Wooden Boat Festival and stayed on a farm south of Hobart.  My daughters camp on the waterfront, moving every three or four days.  Previously, I've done a number of car trips in Tasmania, staying in self contained places.  Tassie is a traveller's paradise - scenery, history, good food, lovely people.

Hope you get to visit again soon, Don. Do you have a favourite spot?

On 9/15/2020 at 5:53 PM, MicCanberra said:

I think once NSW is allowed again, it is better from to fly from Sydney anyway, as there are many more flight options. 

I can recommend Channers on Norfolk - wonderful hosts, great value and excellent accommodation and vehicle included in the packages.

Thanks - I looked up Channers - looked a beautiful place.  Dates not suitable this year, but next year is on the list.

We stayed at a very basic place waking distance to shops.  Used to be good shopping then.  Owners loved sharing the history of Norfolk.  

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I looked up Channers - looked a beautiful place.  Dates not suitable this year, but next year is on the list.  

It is very handily located and the owners are lovely, there is usually some free produce available as well (eggs, avocadoes etc)

In the West we can go to Christmas island or the Cocos Keeling Islands. We don't have to quarantine. The flights are a little expensive for the short time you would want to be there. Virgin are the only ones flying there. We are just sticking to road trips but at least we have a very large state to travel around. 

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

.Hope you get to visit again soon, Don. Do you have a favourite spot?

We always go by the red and white thingie and take the car   so far 14 trips

Favourite spot ?

To stay :- Stanley, ( 20s week there )  Bruny Island, Dover and Coles Bay

To Visit :- The Highlands, Lake Pedder, Cradle Mountain, Corinna.

Places haven't been are Flinders Island and Maria Island

Have spent a month of King Island ( 4 trips )

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly

24 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

We always go by the red and white thingie and take the car   so far 14 trips

Favourite spot ?

To stay :- Stanley, ( 20s week there )  Bruny Island, Dover and Coles Bay

To Visit :- The Highlands, Lake Pedder, Cradle Mountain, Corinna.

Places haven't been are Flinders Island and Maria Island

Have spent a month of King Island ( 4 trips )

Cheers Don

wow 14 trips to Tassie with your own car.  Advantages for living in Melbourne in normal times.  I like your choices of places to stay.  We have taken our car twice (long drive from Qld.), as well as swapped a car and accommodation for a month.  

I pick up accommodation brochures for King Island and Flinders Island each year I go to Melbourne.  Still haven't been!  I'd like to visit Maria Island.  Tasmania has so many choices.  Lucky it doesn't have Queensland weather or it would be standing room only.  Last trip I met people who shifted from Perth to Tassie, because Perth had become too humid, which was a surprise.  

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

Have you not been to Tassie before, don? Well worthwhile, been there 3 times on fly/drives and Antarctic Festival in Hobart a couple of years ago.  Great place, I might move there.  Good Whisky.  The bottle my son gave me for Fathers Day is evaporating for some reason.Apera_r-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.47f50f8d4636dc3cad4cc9625b3dcd91.jpg

I have nearly moved there a few times, absolutely love Tasmania. As does Mrs Gut for her it’s about the history for me just the laid back lifestyle, but gee prices in real estate have gone up since we first looked at moving back about 30 years ago.

7 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I have nearly moved there a few times, absolutely love Tasmania. As does Mrs Gut for her it’s about the history for me just the laid back lifestyle, but gee prices in real estate have gone up since we first looked at moving back about 30 years ago.

About 30 plus years ago, We looked at buying a beach house there, as the prices were so low for prime waterfront positions.  Sydney people were buying five houses at a time, sight unseen (per real estate agent).  Tassie appeals to outdoor people of all ages, inc my daughters. 

• 2 weeks later...

At last, people from NSW will be able to travel overseas.✌️ 🏝️😎🌴🍹👍

"From 1 October 2020, travellers from New South Wales and the ACT will be able to enjoy quarantine-free travel to Norfolk Island.

Visitors will need to apply for a Norfolk Island Entry Pass 24-72 hours before arriving, and from 5 October 2020 there will be a $25 fee for an entry pass." Source.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

At last, people from NSW will be able to travel overseas.✌️ 🏝️😎🌴🍹👍

"From 1 October 2020, travellers from New South Wales and the ACT will be able to enjoy quarantine-free travel to Norfolk Island.

Visitors will need to apply for a Norfolk Island Entry Pass 24-72 hours before arriving, and from 5 October 2020 there will be a $25 fee for an entry pass." Source.

Not quite overseas.  You don't need a passport.  Still a beautiful place to visit. 

They need the tourism anyway, apart from Covid restrictions,  tourism numbers have dropped big time there in recent years. We were there in 2002 and it was popular back then.  Worth a visit for 7 to 10 days.

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

They need the tourism anyway, apart from Covid restrictions,  tourism numbers have dropped big time there in recent years. We were there in 2002 and it was popular back then.  Worth a visit for 7 to 10 days.

Yeah lost a lot of tourism when they added a tax on shopping, but such a beautiful place at one stage Mrs G could have got a teaching job there and a friend was chief judge, so we thought about it for a while.