Carnival Corp. adds 5 more ships to exit list

jimbo5544

52 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Trimming the fat.    Guess they have to make up some of their losses somehow.  

Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Sun Princess, Sea Princess and ?.

“In total, the 18 ships represent approximately 12 percent of pre-pause capacity and only three percent of operating income in 2019,” Carnival Corporation
stated. “The sale of less efficient ships will result in future operating expense efficiencies of approximately two percent per available lower berth day
(“ALBD”) and a reduction in fuel consumption of approximately one percent per ALBD,” Carnival said.

So far, Carnival Corporation has sold the Costa Mediterranea, Costa Atlantica, Costa Victoria, Costa neoRomantica, Oceana, Amsterdam, Rotterdam,
Maasdam, Veendam, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Inspiration and the Carnival Imagination. The Carnival Fascination has, officially, also been removed from
Carnival's fleet as she has been placed into cold lay-up in Cadiz with no return date set. Another ship leaving the fleet could be Princess Cruises' Sun
Princess, who fits the background description given today by Peaceboat, who announced the charter of a new ship, in 2021.

12 minutes ago, drsel said:
5 hours ago, ch09 said:
Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Sun Princess, Sea Princess and ?.

Surely not Sea Princess?

Sea Princess does not have any sailings past 2021. This would make it a viable candidate for an accelerated retirement.

17 minutes ago, drsel said:

12% reduction in capacity could mean 12% higher prices???

Wrong math, 12% capacity is to align with projected future  demand, could mean high price, could also mean lower price.   The drop in capacity is likely to align capacity and efficiency with the guessetimate of future demand, frankly NOBODY knows currently

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 2

I think this says it all: "In total, the 18 ships represent approximately 12 percent of pre-pause capacity and only three percent of operating income in 2019" 

I am thinking cruising levels will likely not get to the levels that need this excess capacity before their new ships will be delivered. It makes perfect sense to use this pause to examine these type of statistics and come out of this thing leaner and more efficient.

Most of us have probably sailed on at least one of the ships that are being removed. My first cruise was on the Imagination, when I took my mom to celebrate her retirement...so there's a little sentiment there. But in reality, 2 decades later, I book newer ships with things she can't offer.

• Like 2

If the Sun Princess is being sent to Peaceboat, that probably means the end of the road for the Tropicale, which was renamed Ocean Dream.

Kind of strange to think we could lose the Tropicale, Holiday, Celebration, Fantasy, Fascination, Imagination, and Inspiration all within the span of a few months.

• Like 1

Just now, tidecat said:

If the Sun Princess is being sent to Peaceboat, that probably means the end of the road for the Tropicale, which was renamed Ocean Dream.

Kind of strange to think we could lose the Tropicale, Holiday, Celebration, Fantasy, Fascination, Imagination, and Inspiration all within the span of a few months.

Holiday is for sale if you are interested.

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I think the 5 Additional ships will be Sun Princess, Sea Princess, Pacific Explorer (P&O Australia, former Dawn Princess) and the two oldest AIDA vessels (AIDAcara & AIDAmira).

Don't forget about the Pacific Dawn and Pacific Aria which were leaving the P&O Australia fleet in 2021 and going to CMV, which is now in liquidation. 

Just now, woodscruise said:

Don't forget about the Pacific Dawn and Pacific Aria which were leaving the P&O Australia fleet in 2021 and going to CMV, which is now in liquidation. 

Those were planned prior to COVID and announced some time ago. They are not part of the 6, then 13, now 18, vessels announced to be exiting the corporate fleet post COVID shutdown.

Only 3 unnamed ships to be sold (From the CC news article https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5594/ )
So far, ships that have been sold for scrap include several of Carnival Cruise Line's oldest ships -- its Fantasy-class, including Fantasy, Fascination, Imagination and Inspiration, along with Costa Victoria. (Cruise Critic is keeping a running tally.)

The company also sold four Holland America ships (Maasdam, Veendam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam), three Costa ships (Costa Atlantica, Costa Mediterranea and Costa neoRomantica); two P&O Australia ships (Pacific Aria and Pacific Dawn) and P&O's Oceana. That leaves three, yet unnamed ships that will leave the Carnival Corporation fleet.

Fascination and Imagination haven't been publicly announced as sold yet, so that's probably why the filing was indicating five ships. Imagination is at anchor off the coast of Aliaga, so that's got to be announced soon.

I should also point out the Celebration may be the last ship Carnival Cruise Line geta for a while, as the filing indicated no ships on order for 2024, and only one for 2025. That 2025 new build is from Fincantieri for Princess, the second in the Sphere class.  That's not to say it could change in the future, but Carnival Corp may essentially have to do without 3-4 years' worth of new builds to get the debt load under control.

48 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Fascination and Imagination haven't been publicly announced as sold yet, so that's probably why the filing was indicating five ships. Imagination is at anchor off the coast of Aliaga, so that's got to be announced soon.

I should also point out the Celebration may be the last ship Carnival Cruise Line geta for a while, as the filing indicated no ships on order for 2024, and only one for 2025. That 2025 new build is from Fincantieri for Princess, the second in the Sphere class.  That's not to say it could change in the future, but Carnival Corp may essentially have to do without 3-4 years' worth of new builds to get the debt load under control.

Fascination sailings canceled through 2022

5 hours ago, tidecat said:

From an articele i read  the Horizon,Carnival Imagination,Marella Celebration and Carnival Fascination are the next 4 to be scrapped starting in October after the current 4 in scrapping process now at Aliaga.