CCL announces additional ships being disposed of

DaveOKC

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Don't know what the condition of Zaandam is.  But...we watch the late booking prices on the Vancouver Alaska run.  We have done so for a number of years. 

For whatever reason, Zaandam is routinely one of the first to drop prices inside the final payment window, sometimes going as low as $269 (before taxes) and has typically had insides and outsides (sometimes obstructed) very close to sailing and after all other ships have sold out.   At any point post final payment Zaandam is usually the least expensive offering.  The only other ship close to this is an older Princess ship.

We have often wondered why this is.

Are you sure you don’t have Zaandam confused with another ship?  She has not sailed in Alaska since 2018 when she did the 14 day cruises round trip from Seattle, and while there were some last minute deals nothing approaching $269 for a 14 day cruise. 

I have routinely seen pricing on inside cabins (especially on the one ways from Vancouver) drop below $300 on multiple lines and ships within 30-45 days before sailing.  

The score card updated:

The twelve confirmed as sold (one on long term charter):

1. Carnival Fantasy - sold for scrap and being broken up at Aliaga, Turkey

2. Carnival Inspiration - sold for scrap and being broken up at Aliaga, Turkey 

3. Carnival Imagination - sold for scrap and arrived at Aliaga, Turkey on 14 Sep

4. Carnival Fascination - sold (probably also for scrap - currently at Cadiz, Spain)

5. Costa Victoria - sold to Genova Trasporti Marittimi for future scrapping
6. Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises as Celestyal Experience
7. HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen as Borealis
8. HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen as Bolette
9. HAL Maasdam sold to Seajets as Aegean Myth
10. HAL Veendam sold to  Seajets as Aegean Majesty

11. P&O Oceana sold to Seajets as Queen of the Oceans

12. Princess Cruises' Sun Princess on long term charter to Japan's Peaceboat organization

The four sold prior to fiscal 2020:

1. Pacific Area sold to CMV as Ida Pfeiffer (TransOcean) eff. May 2021 (CMV went bankrupt in July 2020)

2. Pacific Dawn sold to CMV as Amy Johnson eff. May 2021 (CMV went bankrupt in July 2020)

3. Costa Atlantica sold to CSSC (China) Shipping, a joint venture with Carnival Corp eff Jan 2020 

4. Costa Mediterranea sold to CSSC (China) Shipping, a joint venture with Carnival Corp eff 2021

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Are you sure you don’t have Zaandam confused with another ship?  She has not sailed in Alaska since 2018 when she did the 14 day cruises round trip from Seattle, and while there were some last minute deals nothing approaching $269 for a 14 day cruise. 

I have routinely seen pricing on inside cabins (especially on the one ways from Vancouver) drop below $300 on multiple lines and ships within 30-45 days before sailing.  

Yes.  We saw it at Canada Place one day when we were walking by the hotel (in Vancouver).   We thought it looked like a nice ship-from the outside of course.

Edited by iancal

1 minute ago, iancal said:

Yes.  We saw it at Canada Place one day when we were walking by the hotel (in Vancouver).   We thought it looked like a nice ship-from the outside of course.

Volendam has been based in YVR for a number of years doing 7 day cruises - I can't remember last time Zaandam was homeported in YVR.  The ships are 100% identical from the outside.  Zaandam may have had a "1 off" sailing to/from YVR at the beginning/end of the AK season before she moved to/from SEA.

Have not been on either.  Cannot recall seeing Volendam on a last minute cruise price list or in YVR port.  We never considered either.  We like HAL but prefer a larger ship.

Because we now live withing driving distance of the port we would only consider a late booking cruise.  Only partly because of price.  The much larger draw for us is the ability to get a handle on the weather f'cast.  We lucked out on our last minute cruise.  Friends who booked a cruise well in advance had five days of rain mid July.   We were fortunate enough to have a week of fabulous weather.  

Alas, we have our doubts as to whether there will even be a shortened cruise season from YVR next summer.

Edited by iancal

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The score card updated:

The twelve confirmed as sold (one on long term charter):

3. Carnival Imagination - sold for scrap and arrived at Aliaga, Turkey on 14 Sep

4. Carnival Fascination - sold (probably also for scrap - currently at Cadiz, Spain)

12. Princess Cruises' Sun Princess on long term charter to Japan's Peaceboat organization

1. Pacific Area sold to CMV as Ida Pfeiffer (TransOcean) eff. May 2021 (CMV went bankrupt in July 2020)

2. Pacific Dawn sold to CMV as Amy Johnson eff. May 2021 (CMV went bankrupt in July 2020)

3. Costa Atlantica sold to CSSC (China) Shipping, a joint venture with Carnival Corp eff Jan 2020 

4. Costa Mediterranea sold to CSSC (China) Shipping, a joint venture with Carnival Corp eff 2021

So, would I be correct in thinking that there are just 2 more ships that are yet to be named that will be leaving?  I saw this too and figured it was just 2 left.  Well...for now....ugh....

Linda R.

8 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

So, would I be correct in thinking that there are just 2 more ships that are yet to be named that will be leaving?  I saw this too and figured it was just 2 left.  Well...for now....ugh....

Linda R.

If they (Carnival) count the four that were announced in fiscal 2019, which makes sixteen total, yes, then there are two still to come, actually go 😉 If Carnival doesn't count those four and only counts the ones that went in the current fiscal year, 2020, then there are still six to go. Time will tell........... 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Volendam has been based in YVR for a number of years doing 7 day cruises - I can't remember last time Zaandam was homeported in YVR.  The ships are 100% identical from the outside.  Zaandam may have had a "1 off" sailing to/from YVR at the beginning/end of the AK season before she moved to/from SEA.

Pretty close! The last year Zaandam was home based out of Vancouver, BC was during the 2017 Alaska season! She did spent a couple of single days in YVR in May and in Sep of 2018, but her Alaska home port that year was Seattle. 2019 saw her doing Canada/New England cruises out of Boston, Mass and Montreal, Que

The score card updated:

The thirteen confirmed as sold:

12. Princess Cruises' Sun Princess sold to Japan's Peaceboat organization as Pacific World

13. Princess Cruises' Sea Princess sold to undisclosed buyer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PSR said:

I don't see the Pacific Princess on the list; I thought I saw on a thread that it was also on the sale list. HAL cruisers were comparing it's loss to the loss of the Prinsendam.🤔

She could very well be for sale but, as of today, she's still part of the Princess fleet. She, like Amsterdam, ended her 2020 world cruise in Fremantle although she ultimately wound up taking 115 of her pax, first to Honolulu and then to L.A.

An article in Cruise Industry News today lists/includes the four ships sold in Fiscal Year 2019 as part of "the eighteen" and does not yet lists the Sun Princess. With the latter added, that would make seventeen so one more to go! The jury is still out as to which ship that No. 18 is 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23517-here-are-the-cruise-ships-carnival-is-selling.html 

The score card updated:

The seventeen confirmed as sold:

5. Costa Atlantica sold to CSSC Shipping, a joint venture with Carnival Corp eff Jan 2020 

6. Costa Mediterranea sold to CSSC (China) Shipping, a joint venture with Carnival Corp eff 2021

7. Costa Victoria - sold to Genova Trasporti Marittimi for future scrapping
8. Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises as Celestyal Experience
9. HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen as Borealis
10. HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen as Bolette
11. HAL Maasdam sold to Seajets as Aegean Myth
12. HAL Veendam sold to  Seajets as Aegean Majesty

13. P&O Oceana sold to Seajets as Queen of the Oceans

14. P&O Australia's Pacific Area sold to CMV as Ida Pfeiffer (TransOcean) eff. May 2021 (fiscal 2019)

15. P&O Australia's Pacific Dawn sold to CMV as Amy Johnson eff. May 2021 (fiscal 2019) 

16. Princess Cruises' Sun Princess sold to Japan's Peaceboat organization as Pacific World

17. Princess Cruises' Sea Princess sold to undisclosed buyer

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What are they going to do with the ship?  Start a new cruise line?  

No, Peaceboat is an existing organization out of Japan that has been around as a "floating university" since 1983, using a variety of cruise ships. Pacific World will be their latest 

Peaceboat Organization (Japan) - Oceanic (scrapped at Zhoushan, PRC in 2012).jpg

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Peaceboat is an existing organization out of Japan that has been around as a "floating university" since 1983, using a variety of cruise ships. Pacific World will be their latest 

A "floating university":  I never have heard that before.  I connect the name "Peaceboat" with environmental and pacifist issues.  Is that what their "university" is about?  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A "floating university":  I never have heard that before.  I connect the name "Peaceboat" with environmental and pacifist issues.  Is that what their "university" is about?  

Look it up! Google is your friend and it's free

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Look it up! Google is your friend and it's free

Yep, we have been in a port or two at sometime over the years when the "Peaceboat" has been in port. We had to do a search at that time to discover who/what they are. I probably have a pic somewhere, but probably not "labelled" so can't find it, but our dear all knowing Copper has it!! What would we do without him????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Yep, we have been in a port or two at sometime over the years when the "Peaceboat" has been in port. We had to do a search at that time to discover who/what they are. I probably have a pic somewhere, but probably not "labelled" so can't find it, but our dear all knowing Copper has it!! What would we do without him????

I wish I knew it all 😉 When the former Sun Princess joins them as Pacific World, she's supposed to replace their Ocean Dream which is the former Carnival Cruise Line's Tropicale. Pullmantur's Zenith, born as Celebrity Cruises' Zenith, was supposed to join this year but I'm not sure if that one went through as a result of the pandemic. Peaceboat has always been a "one-ship" operation however, if Zenith is part of their current "fleet," both she and Ocean Dream will be replaced by Pacific World 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

9. HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen as Borealis
10. HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen as Bolette
11. HAL Maasdam sold to Seajets as Aegean Myth
12. HAL Veendam sold to  Seajets as Aegean Majesty

16. Princess Cruises' Sun Princess sold to Japan's Peaceboat organization as Pacific World

17. Princess Cruises' Sea Princess sold to undisclosed buyer

Princess is losing 2 /19 ships, or 10.5%

HAL is losing 4 / 15 ships, or 26.7%

They must see Princess' future as more robust to the bottom line..

1 minute ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Then again, Carnival itself,as well as Costa, have lost four ships each also

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Then again, Carnival itself,as well as Costa, have lost four ships each also

Costa seems to have lost 4/15 ships too, but Carnival has a much larger fleet.  It has been a couple years since I've seen the numbers, but I'm almost certain that HAL passengers are more profitable than Carnival.  Maybe Pinnacle Class is the future, in that we'll see more growth in this direction.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Check fares on competing cruises and you will find that (on average) Princess tend to command higher fares that HAL across the board. Princess has far better brand recognition in general and a more contemporary energetic atmosphere overall. 

• Like 2