CCL announces additional ships being disposed of

DaveOKC

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Check fares on competing cruises and you will find that (on average) Princess tend to command higher fares that HAL across the board. Princess has far better brand recognition in general and a more contemporary energetic atmosphere overall. 

Thank you for brightening my evening with "a more contemporary energetic atmosphere overall."  While I am Elite on Princess, I am a Four Star on HAL, but in recent years I have sailed much more on HAL.  I am, however, beginning to wonder if my days on HAL ships are numbered due to circumstances beyond my control.....

12 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Princess is losing 2 /19 ships, or 10.5%

HAL is losing 4 / 15 ships, or 26.7%

They must see Princess' future as more robust to the bottom line..

Or Princess just has newer, larger ships. There was a period of a few years where it seemed like HAL had no new ships being built, and Princess had several....

• Like 2

I have never seen the numbers.  HAL lost five ships (4 plus Pdam)  The percentage of berths lost in the fleet will be less than the percentage of ships.

HAL had  an aging fleet.  Older, smaller ships are apparently more costly to operate and less profitable. It is all about the bottom line.  Quite understandable that these HAL ships were retired.   One thing for certain, they we among the least profitable otherwise they would still be in the fleet. Carnival Corp was certainly not inclined to cut their best earners.

Edited by iancal

On 9/15/2020 at 10:03 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I doubt they're all going away, not without efficient replacements.  Too big of a niche to hand it all to the luxury market.  And if HAL did gave up on exotic itineraries, a vacuum will always be filled.

I would guess that any ship with less than 2500-2800 will get the axe......HAL can not compeat with either the luxury and prem lines at the fare and services they can provide  The HAL demographics want cheap cabins and fares.... they are not willing to go high.... thats my observation from a recent HAL cruise....  IT looks like Carnival  is putting its money into maintaining a fleet of 4000 pax + ships  and short cruise to max profit  More can afford a 7 day than a 14 or 21 day..... Bottom line  cheap prices =full ships= Larger $ return

Edited by Hawaiidan

The other challenge for the mass marketers who operate smaller ships is the value and price comparison with premium lines.  

I suspect when some cruisers added up all the the costs, inclusive and optional, between the two options moving to a premium line was the same price or the price difference was within a range that made it a much better overall value.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Look it up! Google is your friend and it's free

Well, I continue to learn.  The "Semester at Sea" program was something that I have heard about.  I had no idea that "Peaceboat" had anything to do with such educational efforts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I would guess that any ship with less than 2500-2800 will get the axe......HAL can not compeat with either the luxury and prem lines at the fare and services they can provide  The HAL demographics want cheap cabins and fares.... they are not willing to go high.... thats my observation from a recent HAL cruise....  IT looks like Carnival  is putting its money into maintaining a fleet of 4000 pax + ships  and short cruise to max profit  More can afford a 7 day than a 14 or 21 day..... Bottom line  cheap prices =full ships= Larger $ return

Passengers that want cheap cabins, combined with soaring operational expenses (interest on debt), means a significant reduction in bookings if those cabin prices start to spike.  RCCL's Oasis of the Seas can allegedly break even / turn a profit at a 40% occupancy.  The larger efficient ships can move forward with less sticker shock.  Each smaller ship that is let go, strengthens the demand of the remaining ships, while losing a percentage of frugal and destination travelers.

It will be interesting to see where the cruise line goes from here.

• Like 1