2022 itineraries are now available on Scenic

DougK

There's no banner on their web site, or any other announcement that I've seen, but 2022 itineraries are definitely available. I ran into this by accident when looking at a cruise for 2021; when I brought up details, it gave me the option for 2021 as well. I think this is a couple of months earlier than Scenic would normally make those itineraries available.

It worked out OK for me. When our cruise for this year was cancelled, I looked for 2021 alternatives, and nothing worked for me--but a 2022 cruise does work, so I'm now rebooked for then. The only drawback is that my TA, who has always given me big discounts in the past, was only willing to give me a small discount this time, so even with the 110% vouchers from Scenic it's going to cost me a fair amount more in 2022. My TA tried to blame the pricing on Scenic, but when I look at the math, it sure looks like it's really lack of discounting on my TA's part. Given how much he's no doubt been hurting this year, I can't object too much, but I wish he had been more straightforward about what was going on.

I don't think I explained it right. The pricing is still below Scenic's listed rate, so there's no point in contacting Scenic. It's just that this TA has always given substantial discounts (roughly 10%) in the past off Scenic's rates, and this time I'm saving less than 1% off Scenic's rates. As I understand it, those discounts effectively come out of the TA's commission. My suspicion is that this year, with business having effectively come to a screeching halt, the TA needs to keep every penny of the commission, or close to it. I totally understand that, and don't begrudge it under the circumstances. I just wish he come out and said that he couldn't afford to give discounts this year; instead, he tried to shift the blame to Scenic by just quoting me the bottom line price and saying that the cruise line had taken a loss and he had seen pricing like this on all the river cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougK said:

I don't think I explained it right. The pricing is still below Scenic's listed rate, so there's no point in contacting Scenic. It's just that this TA has always given substantial discounts (roughly 10%) in the past off Scenic's rates, and this time I'm saving less than 1% off Scenic's rates. As I understand it, those discounts effectively come out of the TA's commission. My suspicion is that this year, with business having effectively come to a screeching halt, the TA needs to keep every penny of the commission, or close to it. I totally understand that, and don't begrudge it under the circumstances. I just wish he come out and said that he couldn't afford to give discounts this year; instead, he tried to shift the blame to Scenic by just quoting me the bottom line price and saying that the cruise line had taken a loss and he had seen pricing like this on all the river cruises.

I understand your point, but in the TA's defense he has probably had bad experiences with customers who would say 'well, if you won't give me the discount I'll find someone else who will.'  This must be a terrible time to be a TA.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, DougK said:

It's just that this TA has always given substantial discounts (roughly 10%) in the past off Scenic's rates, and this time I'm saving less than 1% off Scenic's rates. As I understand it, those discounts effectively come out of the TA's commission. My suspicion is that this year, with business having effectively come to a screeching halt, the TA needs to keep every penny of the commission, or close to it. I totally understand that, and don't begrudge it under the circumstances. I just wish he come out and said that he couldn't afford to give discounts this year; instead, he tried to shift the blame to Scenic by just quoting me the bottom line price and saying that the cruise line had taken a loss and he had seen pricing like this on all the river cruises.

I just booked an ocean cruise with Scenic.  My former TA retired, so I switched to a new one who gives me similar cash back percentage.  Since the amount is unknown Scenic fare (definitely less than price in our invoice) x Percent of cashback, I do not know if I get more or less cashback than from previous TA.  However, I am quite sure my new cashback is more than 1%.  Besides, my new TA gave me additional perks.  You may want to consider shopping around for new TA.  Of course, if your TA has been providing you other valuable service, definitely stay with him/her.

Are you able to take advantage of the latest Scenic promotion of air discounts, free deposit protection, and early payment discount?  Mine is a new booking without using any future cruise credit, so I do not know if these promotion discounts apply to you.  It does not hurt to ask Scenic.

Have not checked river cruise pricing, but my ocean cruise fare has risen A LOT.  I booked and almost took the same cruise in 2019 (this previous cruise did not sail), but switched to another cruise.  Thus I have the pricing information from my old invoice.  Even if I take advantage of all the current promotions, my cost for the new cruise is still higher than my old invoice by 2 categories.  My new stateroom is just a few staterooms down the hall, no biggie.  I am OK with some price increase due to inflation, and especially the difficult financial hardship faced by the cruise industry.  Lastly, I am content with being able to take the cruise, hopefully, as my active age time frame is limited.  Thus, no matter what cost you end up with your cruise, enjoy it.

Edited by dreamercruise

1 hour ago, dreamercruise said:

I just booked an ocean cruise with Scenic.  My former TA retired, so I switched to a new one who gives me similar cash back percentage.  Since the amount is unknown Scenic fare (definitely less than price in our invoice) x Percent of cashback, I do not know if I get more or less cashback than from previous TA.  However, I am quite sure my new cashback is more than 1%.  Besides, my new TA gave me additional perks.  You may want to consider shopping around for new TA.  Of course, if your TA has been providing you other valuable service, definitely stay with him/her.

My TA has given me great deals in the past, and has always been good on service. Under the current circumstances, I'm going to cut him a lot of slack. I understand that times are very difficult for everybody in the travel industry right now, and I fear that many are going to end up going out of business. I'm willing to pay extra this time both as a reward for the past and to help my TA survive. But if he doesn't return to usual discounting in the future after things return to normal, I'll shop around again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just rebooked our planned June 2021 Douro cruise to June 2022. Unfortunately the pre- and post-cruise land extension options aren't settled yet, so they advised me to check back every few months until they become available. Price held steady plus a few benefits. 

Sterling