The Cunard Cough

LewiLewi

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Its not a virus, or contagious, and its not specific to Cunard. Its just a reaction to 24/7 aircon - particularly in your cabin. It drys out  the air and hence your throat. using a humidifier might help (if they are allowed) . It also  depends on where the cruise is.  Cruising to PNG from Sydney it was generally well over 90% humidity outside - so inside didn't get that dry and I didn't notice the cough - I usually  get it anywhere I spend too long in aircon. 

I think the same as lissie, although there are colds that come from real cold weather, that's where the word comes from. 

And my greetings go to New Zealand, where I would love to be. For years I have been waiting to see the beautiful Milford Sound and the Bay of Islands, but QM2 does not do me the favour (It's QM2 and no other).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cats2010 said:

I think the same as lissie, although there are colds that come from real cold weather, that's where the word comes from. 

And my greetings go to New Zealand, where I would love to be. For years I have been waiting to see the beautiful Milford Sound and the Bay of Islands, but QM2 does not do me the favour (It's QM2 and no other).

I'm actually hoping to do a cruise to Fiordland soon in Jan- its a small expedition ship though - the dress code includes recommendations about waterproof clothing and merino layers, and 2/3 of the rooms don't have an ensuite!  But given there is only 50 passengers  on board it is exclusive LOL Not Cunard! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lissie said:

I'm actually hoping to do a cruise to Fiordland soon in Jan- its a small expedition ship though - the dress code includes recommendations about waterproof clothing and merino layers, and 2/3 of the rooms don't have an ensuite!  But given there is only 50 passengers  on board it is exclusive LOL Not Cunard! 

I wonder if this is not an exclusive expedition you plan, what else would it be then? Discover beautiful landscapes, listening to interesting lectures and sharing all this with only a handful of passengers must be enriching.

Now and then I have been looking to do such a cruise as well, but I am afraid of having to declare bankruptcy afterwards ... LOL. It's either big and luxurious or small and intellectual ...

So I wish you a beautiful, inspiring and cold-free cruise

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cats2010 said:

I wonder if this is not an exclusive expedition you plan, what else would it be then? Discover beautiful landscapes, listening to interesting lectures and sharing all this with only a handful of passengers must be enriching.

Now and then I have been looking to do such a cruise as well, but I am afraid of having to declare bankruptcy afterwards ... LOL. It's either big and luxurious or small and intellectual ...

So I wish you a beautiful, inspiring and cold-free cruise

I think it counts as intellectual- the reading list I saw was quite impressive!  - its this company https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lissie said:

I think it counts as intellectual- the reading list I saw was quite impressive!  - its this company https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/

Before reading further, which made me curious to know more, I first of all would like to thank you for submitting this to me. It's probably not easy to make a decision! At the moment New Zealand is still on my mind (I have been to Wellington and Auckland on a cruise before), but a day or two are just not enough.

So let's hope that travelling will soon be easier for everyone. I hope it works out for your as planned and I am confident and look forward myself to many new things to be discovered. 

Thank you again!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 7:13 PM, Cats2010 said:

I think you meant "small and expensive" ?? 🙂 

On 9/19/2020 at 8:12 AM, lissie said:

Its not a virus, or contagious, and its not specific to Cunard. Its just a reaction to 24/7 aircon - particularly in your cabin. It drys out  the air and hence your throat. using a humidifier might help (if they are allowed) . It also  depends on where the cruise is.  Cruising to PNG from Sydney it was generally well over 90% humidity outside - so inside didn't get that dry and I didn't notice the cough - I usually  get it anywhere I spend too long in aircon. 

I seem to get it on QM2 over Christmas but not on a summer transatlantic. Maybe the difference between 9 and 12 nights is enough, even though I generally get it by about 9 nights at Christmas. Or maybe I've caught an lower respiratory infection as I've believed.

51 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I seem to get it on QM2 over Christmas but not on a summer transatlantic. Maybe the difference between 9 and 12 nights is enough, even though I generally get it by about 9 nights at Christmas. Or maybe I've caught an lower respiratory infection as I've believed.

Dont think it is the length of cruise more likely time of year when coughs/colds are common at Christmas.