Cruises that do not go to ports.

treasurer

58 minutes ago, twangster said:

Because that is what pays the foreign country to process you as a visitor.  Without processing the ship, the ship never visited that country.  Without visiting another country it is a cruise to nowhere which isn't allowed.

We are in different waters now and I'm sure that the laws could be amended for awhile after the country has gone through hell with this stinking Covid crud.

Edited by MISTER 67

I could quite happily stay onboard and not get off as long as I could benefit from a few days sunshine.   But as I would be sailing from the UK I would want to be heading south,  somehow  I don't think a 7 day cruise would be long enough.

If sunshine is not top of your list then a Fjords cruise would be nice.  There are plenty of fjords I would be happy to sail in and out of without stepping foot on dry land.

And of course heading further north there are always the northern lights which don't require anyone getting off.

11 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are in different waters now and I'm sure that the laws could be amended for awhile after the country has gone through hell with this stinking Covid crud.

So far there hasn't been a lot of momentum to change law to benefit a foreign company operating foreign flagged ships.  No one on either side of the isle has shown any interest in going there.  

I suppose they could reduce enforcement of the law temporarily which is basically what was allowed to occur before 2014.  Back then the law didn't change, the enforcement of the law did.  The problem is the other shipping interests that would try to ride on top of that such as small gambling boats offering gambling cruises to nowhere which is what big ship cruising would effectively become.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I would be happy to do a 7 night cruise and do 1 day at cococay and 1 day at labadee and the remainder of time sail around some islands maybe cruise around pitons at st lucia  something like that would be nice if the islands aren't ready to accept cruise ships.

If the islands aren't accepting cruise ships that would include cococay and Labadee

• Like 1

Just now, time4u2go said:

If the islands aren't accepting cruise ships that would include cococay and Labadee

I wonder how eager the Haitian government is to get back to days where they receive $$ per guest for every visitor.  Something tells me it wouldn't take much for them to accept ships again.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I would be happy to do a 7 night cruise and do 1 day at cococay and 1 day at labadee and the remainder of time sail around some islands maybe cruise around pitons at st lucia  something like that would be nice if the islands aren't ready to accept cruise ships.

Can you imagine how crowded both cococay and labadee would be if RCCL had 5 or 6 ships in the ports at the same time.

• Like 1

No cannot have that happen especially in the beginning of cruising.  I'm thinking one ship docked at a time to keep exposure to others to a minimum.  If they start up with just a couple of ships it would be easy enough to coordinate.

Plus I think their docks can only handle 2 or 3 ships at most.

15 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

If their private islands only have their crew working not bahamian people that travel back and forth everyday it could work.  Same for labadee.  I'm talking about this being an option to get things started not for extended period of time.  I think it is a better option than 3 or 4 day cruises where you have a constant change of passengers and less revenue.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I wonder how eager the Haitian government is to get back to days where they receive $$ per guest for every visitor.  Something tells me it wouldn't take much for them to accept ships again.  

...And days when 2, and even few times 3 ships at Labadee. At least once they had 4 Cruise ships there same time

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Alaska cruise would work. Just visit a few glaciers then cruise the scenic inside passage. No port needed.  I would gladly book a cruise like this.

Unless Alaska gets restrictive like Norway where ships are not even allowed in their waters.

9 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Agreed. Quantum and Ovation have 3-4 hour port stops late in the evening in Victoria on Alaska sailings next year.

No doubt 99% of the passengers on those sailings likely will not be getting off the ship in Victoria at 6:30pm just to get back on for all-aboard at 8:30pm for example.

While probably technically meeting CBP's requirements for foreign port call, i.e. advertised as such, and allowing passengers to disembark, I wouldn't be surprised to see CBP take a closer look at these itineraries when they happen, as they approach the old Ensenada "technical port stops" used to meet the PVSA previously, and that were deemed inadequate by CBP.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Unless Alaska gets restrictive like Norway where ships are not even allowed in their waters.

Alaska already has a limited number of permits for ships to enter certain fjords for glacier viewing.

8 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Without getting political, just stating a fact, do you really see the present administration granting thousands of work visas to foreign workers?  Do you see US citizens approving of foreign workers being allowed to work in the US for a leisure industry while millions of US citizens are unemployed?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If their private islands only have their crew working not bahamian people that travel back and forth everyday it could work.  Same for labadee.  I'm talking about this being an option to get things started not for extended period of time.  I think it is a better option than 3 or 4 day cruises where you have a constant change of passengers and less revenue.

Are the Bahamas and Haiti even allowing visitors from the US?

Edited by time4u2go

10 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Can you imagine how crowded both cococay and labadee would be if RCCL had 5 or 6 ships in the ports at the same time.

That can't happen any time soon. 

But they could do half days and double the opportunities 

Something like 8-1, then 2-7

And the ships would be at less capacity

Edited by John&LaLa

We actually took a cruise to nowhere several years ago, but not on purpose. The fog had delayed the previous cruise from coming in by a day and a half, so a 5 day cruise was reduced to 3. We were told before boarding that we would not be stopping in any ports, and were given the option to cancel for a full refund and FCC. My mom and I decided to go anyway, and we enjoyed it. The ship just did circles in the Gulf of Mexico.

My husband and I have talked about booking a cheap cruise, on an itinerary we have already done, and not get off the ship, once cruising restarts. So no ports would be no problem for us. BUT, my concern is what will cruising be like when it resumes? Will it still be as enjoyable with masks and social distancing and any other changes that will be in place? For now, we are just waiting to see what happens. 

We cruise a lot (5-6 times a year) and we always get out in all ports unless I have to work from the ship that day)

At this point I am ready to have a cruise to nowhere! I'd say Anthem would be a perfect choice.