From PortMiami: Florida Senators introduce Set Sail Safety Act

sandebeach

36 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

What you are missing is the following:

1) Europe is opening up, Europe is testing, Europe has various countries doing aggressive to minimal lock down across a wide level of behavior rule following, LOL

• There are growing concerns in Europe at what is being seen as an alarming rise in coronavirus cases.
  • The number of new daily infections has reached record highs in some countries.
  • Targeted lockdowns and restrictions are returning across the continent.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Not just an American thing I suppose after all....

Not at all.  The difference will be when lockdowns and restrictions return in Europe they'll likely be accepted. 

It will be interesting to see if European cruising continues with cases in Europe growing.   If it doesn't you know the CDC will jump all over that fact.  For our own sake I hope European cruising doesn't get shutdown.  

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Aw, too bad.  Now I won't be able to invite you out for a everything bagel with cream cheese!  And it was going to be my treat!

Wow, what a splurge!  I was thinking you owed him dinner at Le Bernardin or Daniel in NYC or even Trattoria L'Incontro in Astoria.  A bagel with cream cheese?  Sheesh!  🤣

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, yogimax said:
  • There are growing concerns in Europe at what is being seen as an alarming rise in coronavirus cases.
  • The number of new daily infections has reached record highs in some countries.
  • Targeted lockdowns and restrictions are returning across the continent.

I’ve been enjoying the Tour. They seem to have managed in their bubble. 7 tested positive in first rest day but none of the riders and direct team/staff members. Nobody tested positive the second rest day. 

14 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Wow, what a splurge!  I was thinking you owed him dinner at Le Bernardin or Daniel in NYC or even Trattoria L'Incontro in Astoria.  A bagel with cream cheese?  Sheesh!  🤣

Sorry, I'm a frugal (i.e. "cheap") native New Yorker, not a rich tourist!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Sorry, I'm a frugal (i.e. "cheap") native New Yorker, not a rich tourist!

LOL 😂 Nothing wrong with being economically astute.  One of my favorite New York things to do is grab something from a food truck, stand, etc. and walk around the City while eating a slice of pizza, hot dog or chestnuts.  The best bagel I've had was in Brooklyn -- Is the Brooklyn Bagel and Coffee Company still around? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You threw in the comment about Miami, not me. 

Miami is now open, cases and deaths are down. Hospitalizations and ICU beds are down. Positive test rates are nearing 4%.  No big surge after latest holiday beach time.  I would say we managed pretty well while opening. Let’s see how NYC does when they remove the boards from their stores (the ones that will open) and open the city again. 

And I will say again. Miami has not defunded the Police. Much safer that NYC. Don’t you think once the Port is open in NJ the “peaceful” protesters will find their way there?

M8

🤣

This bill, while a push in the right direction, if it does get enacted and doesn't die in the Committee or on the floor, will take quite some time before it's passed and by that time, the task force might not be necessary.  This could be more about reassuring the public and creating public confidence than anything else, IMHO.

57 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

LOL 😂 Nothing wrong with being economically astute.  One of my favorite New York things to do is grab something from a food truck, stand, etc. and walk around the City while eating a slice of pizza, hot dog or chestnuts.  The best bagel I've had was in Brooklyn -- Is the Brooklyn Bagel and Coffee Company still around? 

Ha!  There's nothing like NYC bagels.  I hope you have tried the "Everything" bagel which reeks of garlic and spices.  Just don't try to kiss anyone later!

Brooklyn Bagel is a chain now.  We even have one here in Astoria.  Please don't get me started on hot dogs or pizza.  As a matter of fact, yesterday we had shrimp and chicken parmesan heroes for dinner.

6 hours ago, Pratique said:

Yes, they also want to make daylight saving time permanent during the pandemic.

This is the year to change it.  What further could go wrong.🤷‍♂️🤯

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

Europe seeing a surge in cases

Canada is seeing in increase, but not a "surge" as the press might lead one to believe.  However, 1 case can lead to 4, to 16 etc... It is a fine line to walk.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Inevitable I suppose.  People everywhere get tired of the changes brought on by the pandemic.  The virus didn't change, people's habits do.  

Some bad habits have crept into daily lives.  I see it on FB up here in Canada, by some of wife's friends posts.  I'd say that might explain the increase I just noted above, over and above the 20 year old that seem to be driving the count as off now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Ha!  There's nothing like NYC bagels.  I hope you have tried the "Everything" bagel which reeks of garlic and spices.  Just don't try to kiss anyone later!

Brooklyn Bagel is a chain now.  We even have one here in Astoria.  Please don't get me started on hot dogs or pizza.  As a matter of fact, yesterday we had shrimp and chicken parmesan heroes for dinner.

Yeah but what if the people who prepared your food have Covid19?

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Some bad habits have crept into daily lives.  I see it on FB up here in Canada, by some of wife's friends posts.  I'd say that might explain the increase I just noted above, over and above the 20 year old that seem to be driving the count as off now.

Most of the recent increase over the prior daily average in my state is traced to the college students, most of whom arrived from out of state last month. I have not noticed bad habits yet.

15 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Most of the recent increase over the prior daily average in my state is traced to the college students, most of whom arrived from out of state last month. I have not noticed bad habits yet.

Big demand to attend university in NH🤔

I do see a lot of ads down here for SNHU online

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 2

I agree that this bill, which we have not seen yet, is probably too little, too late and too close to the election. Also, there already is a private sector advisory committee working on this. We don't need Congress to establish another one.

In theory the federal government cannot extend the no sail order indefinitely. At some point either they will have to drop it or come up with something. Most likely CDC will reach an agreement with the industry on a response plan in the next few months and provisionally allow them to resume operations under that plan.

Keep tabs on the bill here: S.4592

There is no mechanism within the purview of the federal government that would keep them from an indefinite suspension 

I agree that this bill, which we have not seen yet, is probably too little, too late and too close to the election. Also, there already is a private sector advisory committee working on this. We don't need Congress to establish another one.

In theory the federal government cannot extend the no sail order indefinitely. At some point either they will have to drop it or come up with something. Most likely CDC will reach an agreement with the industry on a response plan in the next few months and provisionally allow them to resume operations under that plan.

Keep tabs on the bill here: S.4592

Thank you for sharing this link. 

7 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I suggest you go back to your sequence of posts beginning with #32.  You basically said NYC is a tourist town. I said we are not going back to NYC (as a tourist)   They need  clean it up and return funding to the Police. Again, you injected Miami. I could care less where Cruise ships sail from in that area. 

Peace

M8

What does this have to do with the Set Sail Safety act?

• Like 1