2021 Winter Transatlantic / Weather / Any advice?

jzopp

Hi there — nice to meet you!

My partner and I haven't been on a proper vacation in a few years now, so I (maybe a little impulsively?) booked us for Transatlantic M143, 15 Dec 2021 (Southampton-NY) — fingers crossed that life has returned to some semblance of normal by then, or at least normal enough for this trip to happen.

The big question — weathering the weather, whatever the weather...

I know that calling the North Atlantic 'unpredictable' is something of an understatement. Truth be told, it's something I hadn't though on too hard before I booked it. So, for those who have done winter crossings — what's it usually like on deck? I'm not exactly expecting to go swimming in one of the open-air pools, but it would be nice to be able to take a jog without getting frostbite.

The small question — a numbers game:

There's no two ways about it, we're expecting to be in the minority: we're in our early 30s, and I'm pretty sure Cunard self-identifies as a line where the average age of its passengers being... somewhere between 55-60. It being the voyage before the Christmas voyage, I was wondering whether I should expect the age to skew older, younger, or roughly be on target. [If it makes any difference, they're offering the Southampton-NY voyage as part of (1) the standalone westbound transatlantic, (2) the transatlantic + Caribbean Christmas voyage, or (3) the westbound transatlantic + Christmas + return transatlantic]. To be sure, I'm not looking for anything wild — we would've booked another line if we were! — but I'm also hopeful that we won't be the only people in our age group.

Hoping that I might get to meet a few of you aboard!

-John

Edited by jzopp

There's only a little bit that I can reply to knowledgeably, because our only QM2 cruise was in the summer of 2019 (21 nights, New York round trip by way of Southampton,  Liverpool, Reykjavik, and Atlantic Canada), and we're considerably older than you (late 60's, early 70's). But I can say that, although you're correct about the average age (which was a bit younger than us but still "mature"), there were more than a few guests in their thirties, as well as some teenagers who were part of multi-generational groups. I think the more important point is that the QM2 crossing experience seems to attract a fun-loving, well-traveled group of guests, regardless of their age. We've been on nearly thirty cruises on multiple lines, and I've never experienced a more lively pre-dinner cocktail scene than at the Chart Room bar.

As for the weather...sure, it will be cold and maybe a little rough. But who cares? You'll have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jzopp said:

I know that calling the North Atlantic 'unpredictable' is something of an understatement.

It actually will be fairly predictable for that time of year-- predictably very cold, usually (although not uniformly) gray/overcast, correspondingly wet, and usually a bit rougher crossing than summer. I've done three of these now, 2 on QE2 and one on QM2. Two were smooth but overcast and spitting the entire time, one of them was truly a rough crossing with 40-50 ft waves for a few days which slowed us down. 

So, for those who have done winter crossings — what's it usually like on deck? I'm not exactly expecting to go swimming in one of the open-air pools, but it would be nice to be able to take a jog without getting frostbite.

It's cold and a lot of the time the outside decks, especially forward, are roped off. Occasionally it will snow and that will cause most decks to be off limits due to slipping concerns. They will also rope off the decks because of high winds. QM2 is a very indoor ship on crossings this time of year. Any outside time is a bonus, but don't count on it and you won't be disappointed. 

They do keep the hot tubs going outside though, and these can be fun in the winter. You always have the option QM2s indoor pool up top and forward. 

There's no two ways about it, we're expecting to be in the minority: we're in our early 30s, and I'm pretty sure Cunard self-identifies as a line where the average age of its passengers being... somewhere between 55-60.

I would say this time of year the average is a bit higher than 60, especially if a lot of the ships passengers will be part of the larger round trip cruise. But there will be a handful of younger folks like yourselves-- just not in abundance. And who knows- with the way that the pandemic has changed things you might very well have a ship that skews a lot younger than usual for this trip. 

• Thanks 1

We will also be on this crossing as the final leg of our voyage.   It is considered a Christmas voyage even with our departure of 12/2.   After the first crossing there is a short cruise to Christmas markets.   In short there will be a large number of younger travelers and children on your voyage.   The ship continues to the Caribbean after NYC.

• Thanks 1

Welcome, I hope, to the Winter Crossing Club!!!! A few years ago I talked a friend into a January crossing from New York-she was very nervous. Alas, while it was very cold, the Atlantic was pond calm-in January; she was pleased , I wasn’t. On another occasion we had ‘rock and roll’ waves in December and QE2 rocked and rolled - it was grand! On other sailings we’ve had mixtures of great gales and foggy calm.  The maiden Atlantic crossings of QV and QM were very very rocky.You won’t know until..... Now the weather is becoming more violent and unpredictable...so with the ever changing Atlantic-Ya never know. Enjoy yourselves!😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2020 at 9:12 PM, canoncruiser said:

Welcome, I hope, to the Winter Crossing Club!!!! ... Enjoy yourselves!😁

Thank you for the warm welcome!

On 9/17/2020 at 5:59 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

We will also be on this crossing as the final leg of our voyage.   It is considered a Christmas voyage [...] 

I’m excited to see the ship decorated for Christmastime. Hope we’ll run into you!

On 9/17/2020 at 1:03 PM, princeton123211 said:

It actually will be fairly predictable for that time of year [...] Any outside time is a bonus, but don't count on it and you won't be disappointed. 

I would say this time of year the average is a bit higher than 60 [...]

Thanks so much for these insights; I’ll temper my outdoor hopes and dreams now, then. 😅

On 9/16/2020 at 11:40 PM, jimdee3636 said:

As for the weather...sure, it will be cold and maybe a little rough. But who cares? You'll have a great time!

I think it’s going to be grand. Truth be told, I welcome a little rough weather; from what I hear, it can be a thrill to watch. (Safely, from inside, preferably with a healthy supply of Dramamine 😂)

Princeton 123211 said " QM2 is a very indoor ship on crossings this time of year. Any outside time is a bonus, but don't count on it and you won't be disappointed. 

Generally true, but there are some workarounds.  Even when the promenade deck is roped off, it is usually possible to get outside on one of the rear decks, reachable from the aft end of the main corridors on decks 5 and 6 and through the Verandah bar on deck 8.  This can be quite nice, since the ship often blocks some of the unpleasant weather that you would be facing on the promenade deck.

Also, sometimes they only close off the promenade deck on one side of the ship, so check both sides before giving up.  

I quite enjoy our November-December TAs, and QM2 is built to take it.  I recall sitting in the Commodore Club (deck 9) during the day on a westbound TA and seeing the front windows get washed by a rogue wave - and not feeling much motion at all, or having my drink spilled.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rsquare said:

I recall sitting in the Commodore Club (deck 9) during the day on a westbound TA and seeing the front windows get washed by a rogue wave - and not feeling much motion at all, or having my drink spilled.

And that really is the essence and main selling point of a winter crossing-- "Look how comfortable I am and how much fun I'm having in literally one of the most inhospitable places on Earth!" 

I'm totally with you there-- nothing is better than a nice cold martini, sitting in your tux, as QM2 plows through 35 ft swells at the same speed a normal cruise ship tops out at. Ok, maybe one thing better-- doing the exact same thing on the old QE2...

Edited by princeton123211
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 11:40 PM, jimdee3636 said:

We've been on nearly thirty cruises on multiple lines, and I've never experienced a more lively pre-dinner cocktail scene than at the Chart Room bar.

DH and I were on that same 21-day sailing, and the Chart Room was our favorite! jzopp, I think you'll enjoy QM2. Yes, average ages do run older (at 58 and 59, DH were the youngest at our 10-top in the dining room except for the 20 year-old granddaughter of one of our tablemates), but we saw plenty of families and younger couples.

• Thanks 1

Questions rather than comments.

Are the passenger demographics of the early Dec. crossing eastbound different from those on the Oct. and Nov. crossings? Are there more children? Fewer Americans and more Brits?

I am thinking about the Dec. 3 and Oct. 29 eastbound crossings in 2021 and am wondering how they might be different.

23 hours ago, Reggiefan said:

Questions rather than comments.

Are the passenger demographics of the early Dec. crossing eastbound different from those on the Oct. and Nov. crossings? Are there more children? Fewer Americans and more Brits?

I am thinking about the Dec. 3 and Oct. 29 eastbound crossings in 2021 and am wondering how they might be different.

I suspect, but have no facts to back it up, that the difference between an eastbound crossing and westbound crossing will be greater than the difference between a December crossing and an October or November crossing in either direction.  Eastbounds, I suspect, will have more UK residents returning home, while westbounds will have more north Americans doing the same.

I've really only done westbounds, and haven't seen much difference between November and December crossings in terms of passenger demographics; I've never done an October crossing.

Other than that, the December crossing will see the ship decked out in its Christmas finery, while the October crossing may have milder weather, although that is so difficult to predict late in the year.

Jzopp, my apologies to you if I veered your thread in a slightly different direction. However, because you are thinking about a winter crossing, you may be interested in what I am asking about.

And rsquare, thanks for your response. You would know better than I would, but I was surprised to read that there may be more Brits traveling eastbound than westbound and conversely more Americans traveling westbound than eastbound.

We were on the crossing leaving NY Dec 8 2019 to Southampton.  The weather was lovely most of the days - we were out on the balcony most days in light sweaters.  If anything, it was a bit windy.  There was one day with cold, rough weather/waves - otherwise the weather was much better than anticipated.

I am in my late 40s and we were celebrating my husband’s 50th birthday.  We were on the younger side of average, but it wasn’t THAT noticeable.  Unlike more mainstream cruise lines, most of the people on the ship seemed to be if a similar mindset.  We went to the Ballroom most every night to listen to the music and watch the ballroom dancing.  There was no ‘glitz’,  but all glam!  Much more sophisticated than standard lines, but not stuffy.  

We just booked another Cunard trip this morning!  We can’t wait!

7 hours ago, Reggiefan said:

And rsquare, thanks for your response. You would know better than I would, but I was surprised to read that there may be more Brits traveling eastbound than westbound and conversely more Americans traveling westbound than eastbound.

Just my impression from talking to people, nothing scientific.  What I heard a few times was UK people flying to NY for the shopping (I guess when the dollar was softer against sterling) and coming back with loads of goodies they'd bought.

22 minutes ago, rsquare said:

Just my impression from talking to people, nothing scientific.  What I heard a few times was UK people flying to NY for the shopping (I guess when the dollar was softer against sterling) and coming back with loads of goodies they'd bought.

We've only made 2 crossings (2017 & 2018), each west-bound. At the Captain's welcoming cocktail party the passenger mix, by country, was given by the Captain. In both cases, Brits slightly out numbered Americans for 1st and 2nd spots. 

Jack

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, Reggiefan said:

Jzopp, my apologies to you if I veered your thread in a slightly different direction.

None necessary; I appreciated the additional nuance.

Thanks to everyone for their input here! I know we're 14-months-and-change out from our trip, but we're looking forward to it. We may have even talked another couple of friend (friends who are also a couple? friend-couple?) into joining us (or at least, they sounded enthusiastic yesterday, so I'm hopeful).

On 9/30/2020 at 8:38 PM, rsquare said:

Just my impression from talking to people, nothing scientific.  What I heard a few times was UK people flying to NY for the shopping (I guess when the dollar was softer against sterling) and coming back with loads of goodies they'd bought

The other thing to keep in mind is that large blocks of cabins are sometimes sold wholesale during the shoulder season through different travel agencies and, whether they are US or UK or somewhere else based agencies, can dramatically change the makeup of the ship on any given trip. My experience with these winter transatlantics is that its usually a fairly even makeup of UK and US. But we've also had occasions on the first night wondering "where did all these Germans come from?"

We've done this particular crossing a number of times and the weather has invariably been very cold and grey.  Ocean-wise, we've had it both rough and smooth but the QM2 handles bad weather very well and if the captain deems it necessary he will deviate slightly from the course to try and find a smoother passage.  I seem to recall that on one occasion we were even able to sit outside - well, for about 5 minutes and dressed in thick jumpers, but it was still outside!!!!

Age-wise, don't worry.  We are in our 70s and love the company of all ages.  One of our best dining tables was age ranged from a solo traveller aged in her early 20s to a couple well into their 80s.  In some ways this makes the conversation flow as each age group puts their 'spin' on a particular topic.

You'll love it.

• Like 1

John -- You are obviously a man of taste and adventure.  My husband and I have done 3 late Autumn/early Winter crossings, and we love them.  The ship and the North Atlantic itself are the destinations and this is a perfect time with dramatic skies and seas.  All three crossing had weather that was relatively warm: 40s up to 60s on many days, not too much rain or gloom even.  Last December, I even used the jacuzzi late one afternoon before dinner, and I was not alone.  It was glorious.

Deck 7 is one of the stars of the QM2, and I usually spend a lot of time out there.  Even in wind and light rain, people use it a lot as it is the best place to take in shop, sea and sky.  The only worry is if it gets too rough and windy it can get closed off in part or whole.  But then you might be treated to some seriously "lumpy seas" as Capt Wells calls them.  We are always hoping for rough seas but the last couple of crossings on QM2 have been quite calm. 

As for your fellow passengers, I have found the late season crossings can be less expensive than high season, so the demographic skews a bit younger and more varied. Lots o Brits headed to the Caribbean for the holidays, and a few returning Americans coming home form Christmas shipping in London. Many people like those December crossings for their drama and focus on the sea.  On gala nights, with everyone dressed and moving around the ship amidst the lovely (and subdued) Christmas decoration, it's really magical.  

We are eager to be back aboard QM2 as soon as possible, so you may see us one of these days -- I suspect you will become a repeat passenger.  

• Like 1