Suspension of all expedition sailings for the rest of 2020

jakob71

According to an article today in the newspaper E24, it is stated that Hurtigruten will suspends all expedition sailings for the rest of 2020. The reason given, is an increase in COVID-19 cases throughout Europe, South- and North America.

https://e24.no/norsk-oekonomi/i/Al2GKx/hurtigruten-utsetter-alle-ekspedisjonscruise-ut-aaret?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vg.no

4 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

I looked at January/February/March 2021 and Hurtigruten is only showing sailing in January. 

What in particular are you looking for - full schedule for the Coastal Voyage in 2021 and also many expedition cruise in 2021.

8 hours ago, hallasm said:

What in particular are you looking for - full schedule for the Coastal Voyage in 2021 and also many expedition cruise in 2021.

I was looking at Antarctica.  The 12 day in particular.  We were originally booked in early December 2020.  When the tour company cancelled all of their tours for 2020 (in April) we moved to January 16, 2021.

When Hurtigruten canceled all the Antarctica cruises for 2020 I checked make sure ours (in January 2021) was still listed.  It is, but only January 6 and 16.  Yesterday these were the only Antarctica dates and ship.  This morning the other itineraries are back on line.

My quandary is that final payment is due October 18.  It is probably only a 50/50 chance that this will actually sail.  I would like to wait until the Fridtjof Nansen arrives in South America to make final payment.  When the FN first Antarctica itinerary was scheduled to depart October 19, I felt pretty confident about final payment.  Now, not so much.

We booked the January itinerary in April and did get the dot NO price.  Fabulous price.  We have booked direct air on Delta and two extra nights pre cruise that are both cancelable.  Would just like to delay final payment to Hurtigruten.  I have spent the last six months recovering money from three trips canceled by cruise line and tour companies.  Still after LATAM for December tickets that they canceled in July.  I don’t want to add Hurtigruten to the list.

Hurtigruten are refusing to delay final balance payments. You will almost certainly have to pay, wait for the sailing to be cancelled (you might want to have a look at just how full the ship is at the moment to get a feel for the likelihood of cancellation) and then wait for a refund.

To give you an idea of current capacity, Hurtigruten's Fram has just four Antarctic cruises left in the season. She currently has 55%, 46%, 31% and 26% of her rooms booked on each of those four cruises with an average 39% booked (those figures assume that all rooms are available and none are occupied by staff). I cannot see how Hurtigruten would send her all the way south with those numbers, especially as the last of the four cruises leaves her in Valparaiso.

We are on the January 16 sailing.  It is currently 38% booked.  They have had recent cancellations on this date.  The beginning of September it was 57% booked.  (And yes, I do take the time to track capacity.)  Hurtigruten does have scientific obligations for scientists that are going to or from Antarctica.  Not sure how that is working with the spate of cancellations thus far.

I am ready to safely travel.

Even in normal times, there are relatively few scientists in that part of Antarctica where Hurtigruten cruises and, due to Covid, they are being reduced to an absolute minimum at the moment. They are not helped solely by Hurtigruten but by all of the companies so are not dependent on just one. However, It's doubtful that they would want to board a ship which has a constantly changing pool of potential for the virus and then find themselves falling in a few days later!

After Hurtigruten's serious failings on Roald Amundsen in the Arctic earlier this year their reputation for Covid safety is far from what anyone should reasonably expect.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:09 PM, digitl said:

Hurtigruten are refusing to delay final balance payments. You will almost certainly have to pay, wait for the sailing to be cancelled (you might want to have a look at just how full the ship is at the moment to get a feel for the likelihood of cancellation) and then wait for a refund.

To give you an idea of current capacity, Hurtigruten's Fram has just four Antarctic cruises left in the season. She currently has 55%, 46%, 31% and 26% of her rooms booked on each of those four cruises with an average 39% booked (those figures assume that all rooms are available and none are occupied by staff). I cannot see how Hurtigruten would send her all the way south with those numbers, especially as the last of the four cruises leaves her in Valparaiso.

Are those percentages, for the total cabin capacity ( ship sailing full) , or a percentage of percentage of capacity???

7 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Are those percentages, for the total cabin capacity ( ship sailing full) , or a percentage of percentage of capacity???

Just raw percentages. I haven't allowed for any of the 125 rooms being put out of use to reduce capacity or being occupied by staff as I don't have any way of knowing how many that would be.

9 hours ago, bones774 said:

Hi, Is H known to be a line that offers you upgrade at the pier on embarkation or perhaps offer discount upgrades prior to sailing? If I'm at low end of cabin selection they may have empty higher end cabins?

thanks

additionally I know on mainstream lines you can be upgraded w/o cost, just lucky, because of availibilty of rooms, does H do this?

I probably should start this on a new thread to get more visibility

Edited by bones774

52 minutes ago, bones774 said:

I probably should start this on a new thread to get more visibility

yes, I’ll suggest so - then also tell if expedition cruise or coastal voyage and maybe include Ship name. For sure differences between expedition and coastal voyages - but likely also differences from ship to ship.

Edited by hallasm