Caviar on Silversea?

TV Dad

Is caviar avaliable on Silversea cruises? We hope to be sailing Athens to Athens in April 2021 aboard the Silver Spirit, if the pandemic is under control. I assume caviar is not complimentary, as it is on Seabourn, otherwise Silversea would promote it. But is caviar available for purchase? Does anyone know what grade and price? Anyone have an actual menu? Thanks, in advance.  

on our last cruise on the Spirit we didn't learn about it being available till half way through the cruise (staff was very tight lipped about it being available unlike Seabourn) and then its was made into a big deal about asking supervisors, etc.    We had it at dinner, but it was made out to be such a hassle when it didn't need to be.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, avalon1025 said:

on our last cruise on the Spirit we didn't learn about it being available till half way through the cruise (staff was very tight lipped about it being available unlike Seabourn) and then its was made into a big deal about asking supervisors, etc.    We had it at dinner, but it was made out to be such a hassle when it didn't need to be.

Yeah, why have it if they don't have a 'rule' for when/how/who to serve.

While complimentary caviar was available pre-COVID, don't count on it being complimentary when cruising resumes.  Silversea may implement certain cost-cutting measures so that resumed cruises at least break-even.

You may want to inquire again after cruising resumes so those on the first few post-COVID sailings can report on what, if any, changes have been made.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bucephalus53 said:

Can someone explain how the condiments are typically used with the caviar to this novice?

We don't eat it quite that way. We spread a very small amount of creme fraiche on  a cracker or plain toast point, maybe two capers and a couple of minced red onion, a drop of lemon juice, a leaf of arugula dressed with  olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. And it it's really good stuff I've been known to eat it right off the non-metallic spoon.

20200213_201509 - Edited.jpg

20200213_202508 - Edited.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bucephalus53 said:

Thank you. My first thought was that all those condiments would hide the taste of the caviar. Like turning a great bottle of wine into sangria 😉

However, I do not have a palate for caviar so I just don't know. 

I've thought that the egg is too much. I can't tell what that brown blob is at the bottom. And as you can see we use minute amounts of everything. We recently got introduced to Idaho white sturgeon caviar and I could eat that right from the jar. It's a splurge for us but two or three times a year - especially since we're not doing intl travel - we justify 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I've thought that the egg is too much. I can't tell what that brown blob is at the bottom. And as you can see we use minute amounts of everything. We recently got introduced to Idaho white sturgeon caviar and I could eat that right from the jar. It's a splurge for us but two or three times a year - especially since we're not doing intl travel - we justify 🙂

The brown blog is the Blinis

13 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

The brown blog is the Blinis

LOL. It looked like a scoop of chocolate ice cream 🙂 Thanks. I've never seen them that dark and don't particularly care for the softness.

44 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

Having never been on silverseas before,can we arrange this on our cruise next year occasionally in our cabin with the bottle of sparkling Rose (post Covid restrictions not applying) .? Is it complimentary?

Answer is yes to all queries.Ask your Butler to deal with any special requests you have for suite requirements.If you have any requests for alternatives to daily menus make them through he Maitre d in the MDR.Lobster Thermidor and surf and Turf are two of our favourites and the advantage of personal ordering is the dish is specially prepared and comes piping hot.If you wish to have particular white or red or one of each wine on your table merely ask the very helpful wine waiters.Anything is possible if it’s on board and the crew all over the ships are wonderful.Enjoy your first Silversea cruise next year,fingers crossed normality may return by then.Hope this helps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Having never been on silverseas before,can we arrange this on our cruise next year occasionally in our cabin with the bottle of sparkling Rose (post Covid restrictions not applying) .? Is it complimentary?

Just to say last December we were told the sparkling rose wasn’t complimentary but champagne was 😄 I’m sure it went better anyway! 

With the caviar i tend tend to put the egg chives and caviar on the Bellini but to be honest never sure if it’s all meant to go or you eat with each bit at a time so nice to see others takes on it 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for answering my question about availability. We love caviar. 

As for how to eat it, for you newbies: it’s all a matter of taste. My wife loves it so much she’ll eat it straight from the jar. I prefer all the accompaniments except capers. She loves it with champagne. I prefer a couple of chilled vodkas. Our daughter doesn’t really like it any way she’s tried it!  

My advice: Try it several ways and see what suits your palate. There’s no wrong way, except I suppose with ketchup or tarter sauce! 😆😆😆 And even then, who are we to judge? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The most bizarre way I’ve ever eaten Caviar was when my ex’s family were over from the Ukraine. The women spent the morning making “dumplings” that were not dissimilar to dim sum. They took them off to the kitchen around midday to be boiled whilst the men started on the numerous bottles of ring pull Vodka from the freezer. When the dumplings were presented, you took a dumpling, smothered it in a good splattering of wild Sevruga from 2x4oz tins that had been smuggled in their luggage (apparently good caviar costs little more than potatoes in Sevastopol) ate it and followed it with a slug of Vodka. Now I’ve never been a fan of day drinking, this whole incident confirmed that notion. It was though, surprisingly memorable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TV Dad said:

My wife loves it so much she’ll eat it straight from the jar.

I mentioned that our latest treat is Idaho white sturgeon that we get from Seattle Caviar in Seattle. I could eat it "straight from the jar." But I don't...cause I want it to last a few seconds longer 🙂 Heading back there soon and will definitely be getting more. No international travel all year has sure saved us some $$$.