I'm confused!!

diesel1973

3 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Lately I have been getting a bunch of e-mails from cruise lines and TA's with great deals on cruises. How can anyone book a future cruise if:

1. They don't know when ,if, and where they will start cruising.

2. They don't know what the rules and regs. that will be enforced if they do start.

3. And last but not least why would someone put more money down on a future when you can't get a refund or FCC on a cruise already booked that was cancelled.

How stupid do they think we are?? Any body with an ounce of brains in their head would not be booking future cruises no matter how "cheap"  until matters get sorted out. Just saying.

Looks like a lot of us have slipped below your ounce of brains theory. 

From UBS insider.

The Times also noted that a recent analysis from Swiss bank UBS found that in the past 30 days, the number of cruise bookings for 2021 are up by 9% compared to the same period in 2020, including a substantial number of people booking brand new cruises as opposed to simply re-booking canceled cruises. 

From the LA Times.

While cruise lines have taken a severe financial hit and will face serious challenges to get back on track after the crisis, the loyalty of their customer base and the rise in bookings even in the midst of a pandemic that spread on cruise ships show a sliver of hope for an embattled industry. 

From business insider.

• Despite multiple outbreaks of COVID-19 on cruise ships in 2020, bookings for cruises are already on the rise of 2021, according to multiple reports.
  • We just booked Carnival Panorama for March 6th out of LA.  
  • Like you... just saying..

Add me to the brainless group.  I have 21 cruises booked between Nov. 6, 2020 and April 10, 2022.  I feel confident that the cruises in Nov and Dec of this year will be cancelled and perhaps a few at the beginning of 2021.  I hope not, but I won't be surprised.  As @twangster mentioned, I have gotten back every penny that is owed me from the 6 cancellations that have already occurred.  I have gotten some incredible deals on Lift & Shifted cruises.  I feel my risk is very low.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Lately I have been getting a bunch of e-mails from cruise lines and TA's with great deals on cruises. How can anyone book a future cruise if:

2. They don't know what the rules and regs. that will be enforced if they do start.

3. And last but not least why would someone put more money down on a future when you can't get a refund or FCC on a cruise already booked that was cancelled.

How stupid do they think we are?? Any body with an ounce of brains in their head would not be booking future cruises no matter how "cheap"  until matters get sorted out. Just saying.

I can say the same thing about people in Vegas. How can you just throw money away gambling, knowing there is not a 100% guarantee that you will get your money back.

Or someone who invests in the stock market. How stupid can they be to buy stock not knowing what the stock market will be in a year?  Or buying anything that might depreciate.  

Life is a gamble no matter what.  Nothing is guaranteed. If one always waits for safety guarantees, one is going to lose out on a lot of experiences in life.

Everyone decides how much money they gamble and are willing to lose.

For us, we DID book a cruise for next summer.  Because of the prices at the time of our lift and shift, we have 2 suites for 1/3 the price they are going for now, saving over $15,000. No, we have no idea what cruising is going to be like next summer.  We have no idea if the cruise lines will even be in business.

We just have deposits down. We are more than willing to gamble our deposits for a ridiculously priced cruise that we could never afford without pandemic pricing.   If the cruise line goes belly up, we have lost less than 2 grand. If things are moving in a positive direction, we are up $15,000+ give or take a few grand for price fluctuation.  I will take that gamble every.single.day.  You may find it stupid, I think an informed gamble is a smart move.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cured said:

We just have deposits down. We are more than willing to gamble our deposits for a ridiculously priced cruise that we could never afford without pandemic pricing.   If the cruise line goes belly up, we have lost less than 2 grand. If things are moving in a positive direction, we are up $15,000+ give or take a few grand for price fluctuation.  I will take that gamble every.single.day.  You may find it stupid, I think an informed gamble is a smart move.

I was late to the lift and shift when people starting doing suites lift and shifts for huge discounts, and didnt want to travel to other ports. But the prices just keep getting better. 

I took a aft corner and kept thinking a hump would also be nice, though I love the aft view. Now I got both. Without covid from what I've read it would be hard to find your choice of center hump cabins 6 months out. Nice prices, but also it seems like a chance to book cabins I normally couldn't get. 

I'm used to last minute booking and whatever is left over. I've got a little more $ than you tied up. But looking forward to them all. Make lemonade... use covid as a chance to book that cabin you always wanted.

Still want a inside balcony near the diving show oasis class, but I'm hoping allure still comes to Galveston eventually as it's still on my bucket list of cabins I havent tried. But what better opportunity are we going to get? I see opportunity where the op sees nuts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

Add me to the brainless group.  I have 21 cruises booked between Nov. 6, 2020 and April 10, 2022.  I feel confident that the cruises in Nov and Dec of this year will be cancelled and perhaps a few at the beginning of 2021.  I hope not, but I won't be surprised.  As @twangster mentioned, I have gotten back every penny that is owed me from the 6 cancellations that have already occurred.  I have gotten some incredible deals on Lift & Shifted cruises.  I feel my risk is very low.

Apparently lot of folks have bookings on file. I do have a few brains left and I take exception to the thoughtless post that started this thread. I wish I could afford 21 of them. The best part is the pretentious 'people' who are 'too smart' to be on those cruises with us!! It's like free upgrade!

See you onboard!

• Like 4

I totally agree, with the stupidity of offering "tremendous " cruise offers when they don't even know when they will cruise again.  I am NOT booking anything more until I actually see a cruise happening from the US ports.  I am a political person and truly believe that after the elections this will all go away.....don't waste your time commenting.....it means nothing to me.

6 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Apparently according to the OP I am stupid. I just very recently Booked a cruise, it is the fifth cruise that I have booked between now and February 2021.  I have every expectation that I will be cruising between mid 2021 and 2022.  If you don’t like the emails there there’s  a simple process for unsubscribing. Coming on Cruise critic and griping and complaining about emails you receive that you can easily unsubscribe just makes you look silly  

• Like 3

Add us to the brainless people.  We have on cruise booked for this November and 2 for 2021, both rebooked one using lift and shift.  We have definite doubts on the November cruise, but keep hoping it will sail as planned.  As for the 2021 cruises, we are booked for Alaska in September at an exceptional rate and November on the Oasis of the Seas.  With all of the CWC offers, seems to me there is little risk.  If they sail, great, and I can say I took advantage of the great deals,  Additionally, the early sailings will have partial loads, not full ships, so to me, it's worth a gamble.  I'm in the camp of let's get sailing and enjoying.  I vote, take a chance on the deals.  Now if the lines are not sailing by the end of the  year.......I think at that point, I would start to worry about getting my money back.  Fingers crossed sailings start sooner rather than later.

8 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

I totally agree, with the stupidity of offering "tremendous " cruise offers when they don't even know when they will cruise again.  I am NOT booking anything more until I actually see a cruise happening from the US ports.  I am a political person and truly believe that after the elections this will all go away.....don't waste your time commenting.....it means nothing to me.

There is a saying... sounds silly but it fits. More deals for me. The more who dont take advantage the better the deals

• Like 1

I an idiot too.  So far I have 6 future cruises booked for 2021.  1 in december that I'm not cancelling and will as for refund if they cancel.

I had 6 cruises cancelled for 2020 and received all of my refunds including cruiser planner purchases and fccs all in 2 to 3 weeks of the cancellation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Coming on Cruise critic and griping and complaining about emails you receive that you can easily unsubscribe just makes you look silly  

Why make the last statement.  Unnecessary and makes you look... oops!

1 hour ago, 3red7s said:

Around the whole world? Covid will disappear from the earth in November?

Why wouldn't you book anything if you know everything will be over by November?  Silly then not to take advantage of all the great prices.  

More suites for me next year 🙂

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

The concern over booking more cruises becomes greater as time goes on with no restart.

At the moment, there doesn't appear to be much danger other than having your money tied up for something that might not happen. As we go longer with no cruising, the liquidity of the cruiselines will become a big concern. We will go from worrying about "will the cruise happen" to worrying about "will they go bust and we'll lose our money as well as not getting a cruise".

At this point, we've got another cruise booked, but on a very small deposit that we're not concerned about losing, with the next payment not until February next year.

22 minutes ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

I have been wondering the same thing.  Why book when we have no clue when cruises will resume?  I don't want to go through the hassle of rebooking.......   🤷‍♀️  

Lol you need a ta. I just forward rne letter of cancellation to my ta and let him take care of it. Hassle for him yes, none for me. Not booked until end of February... fingers crossed. 

Probably wouldnt rebook right away .... or so I'm telling myself. 7 booked now so I'd still have 5 left if my b2b cancelled. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Apparently according to the OP I am stupid. I just very recently Booked a cruise, it is the fifth cruise that I have booked between now and February 2021.  I have every expectation that I will be cruising between mid 2021 and 2022.  If you don’t like the emails there there’s  a simple process for unsubscribing. Coming on Cruise critic and griping and complaining about emails you receive that you can easily unsubscribe just makes you look silly  

Well said sir.

My wife and I have been planning on a fun Friday evening activity all week (once kids are in bed) - sitting on the patio drinking some wine/bourbon and booking 2-3 cruises.  I think I'll have a cigar as well.  Nothing fancy - just standard 7 day Caribbean itineraries on Oasis class ships (she refuses to go on anything but Oasis class)

We have a May 2021 already booked - I have about a 55% confidence level on this one happening.  We will go on this one with whatever Rona procedures are in place on board.  

Because I believe there will obviously be some cruising Covid restrictions/procedures that will be in place all of 2021 we are going to book from 2022 on.  I could be wrong, but I don't think face masks will be a thing in mid 2022 - yes you all are free to disagree and I could obviously be totally wrong but I'm hoping that I'm right.  

April 2022

October 2022

Feb 2023

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 3red7s said:

I'm confused about what will go away after 11/3/20:

1. Cruises?
  2. COVID19?
  3. Stupidity?

I would love it if the world was free of #2 and 3.  

Edited by pcur
  • Like 4

On 9/17/2020 at 4:33 PM, PigsCanFly said:

We are also in the "brainless" group.  We are still booking cruises.  We would have become Diamond + in March, May, June, July, August & September.  Each was cancelled.  We are still hoping for December, Jan '21, March '21, May '21 & July '21.  We have also received full refunds from Royal for cancelled cruises.

Same here.  We are five points short of Diamond Plus, would have made it in April but have had six cruises cancelled (so far).