formal nights

untailored bostonian

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I think a bolo tie on a formal night on a cruise ship would be highly inappropriate.

Scotta075,

When I first read Denarius' post, I had the same thought as you. Then I remembered our first Crossing on the QM2 and the gentleman who wore a kilt on a formal night. My wife and i were very impressed that he had gone

to the effort of representing the culture of his country in a perfectly acceptable way. 

IMG_6893.thumb.JPG.747d1618ad0708fd04604ea75d2b2380.JPGSo then I googled "Men's formal wear in Argentina" and this is what came up

190508879_bolotie.jpg.5ca32940259994de83b4566fc86a651b.jpg7a501377ec90089fd39c1682ce4d71b3.thumb.jpg.5270429712fe0dbd0ab65383025ca482.jpg

So now I thinking that celebrating the differences in various cultural formal wear might be a really good thing.

Jack

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Scotta075,

When I first read Denarius' post, I had the same thought as you. Then I remembered our first Crossing on the QM2 and the gentleman who wore a kilt on a formal night. My wife and i were very impressed that he had gone

to the effort of representing the culture of his country in a perfectly acceptable way. 

So then I googled "Men's formal wear in Argentina" and this is what came up

So now I thinking that celebrating the differences in various cultural formal wear might be a really good thing.

Jack

I think kilts are fine for Scots.

I don't think a Bolo is the cultural dress of Lancashire, England. In fact, in 2020 it might be considered inappropriate cultural appropriation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Scotta075,

I recall a gentleman wearing a kilt and jacket every night on Queen Elizabeth.  I thought I should enquire to educate myself and was advised that there are different tartans for dress and different jackets which are more informal.  On a Princess cruise on a formal night I noticed two Scottish gentlemen whose wives were chatting. They had seemingly identified each other by their respective husband's modes and been drawn together.  The kilted chaps were being selfied by a series of Phillipino drinks waitresses.  It was somewhat amusing.

As an aside national dress is appropriate for Cunard on formal nights and includes military mess dress.  I have yet to spot a Native American in their nations attire.  On formal night, Ascot themed ball I did see a group including gentlemen in grey top hat and tails suits having a ball as  one might expect.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's called a black tie event, to distinguish it from a more formal evening dress , a white tie event, not because the ties have to be black. The orginal black ties were a blue/black mix, which looks even blacker than pure black at night under artificial lighting .

When I  referred to Curchills straight bow tie, I was referring to the fact it was a proper hand tied bow tie , which is almost impossible to get perfectly straight and even. Not a that he never wore a black bow tie. I was encouraging  the OP to have the fun and frustration of tying your own.

Last year, on the eastbound crossing, there was bow tie instruction before the first formal night. This was mentioned in the daily program, but was not an official Cunard event - instead a passenger arranged the session. About sixty folks attended the session in one of the tender lounges on deck one.

This is something that Cunard should be offering, but the onboard shops do not even sell bow ties (other than pre tied ones)

16 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Cunard allows national dress, if a bolo tie was the official dress of a State then if you come from that  state it should be fine. However I don't know if states have the equivalent of national dress and if any have a bolo tie as part of official or unofficial national state dress

The bolo tie is the official male neckware of the US states of Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_tie 

18 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I think a bolo tie on a formal night on a cruise ship would be highly inappropriate.

I beg to differ. I think that my formal bolo, crafted in sterling silver by Hopi silversmith Homer Vance and featuring a black onyx inset, is much smarter than a bow tie.

Homer Vance bolo.jpg

• Like 3

I wouldn't call it particularly appropriate at all unless you can affect a pretty decent Texas twang to go with it but Bolo, bow  or conventional tie, your choice. However, I  can guarantee, a Bolo would not effect the enjoyment of my evening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I wouldn't call it particularly appropriate at all unless you can affect a pretty decent Texas twang to go with it but Bolo, bow  or conventional tie, your choice. However, I  can guarantee, a Bolo would not effect the enjoyment of my evening. 

Just slow it down, let the words roll of your tongue, add a ya'll here and there and your talking Texan. 😀

I think a Bolo tie with a white shirt would be entirely appropriate on a formal evening. There is still a lot of snobbery with regards to cruising and standards of dress and dont think it matters whether it be Bolo, bow tie of any colour or an ordinary tie with dark suit is perfectly acceptable

• Like 3

On 9/17/2020 at 6:22 PM, untailored bostonian said:

Just booked a NYC - NYC 21 day cruise to Norway on the QE2.  We have not cruised on Cunard.

Will I need a tux or will a black suit  be sufficient?

Any other Cunard culture advice?

You would need a tux/suit in certain parts of the ship on gala nights. If you choose not to wear/bring them it does not mean you will be confined to your room,most of the ship is available to you. I stopped the tux thing many voyages ago ,i just bring a sport coat and sometimes tie for after 6 but mostly nice pants and shirt . I respect the areas where it is formal which is really no bother at all. SSSSSSSOOOOOO the bottom line is if you go sans tux/suit you will not go hungry,thirsty or made to walk the plank by the god class nor kept in a fenced in area . We have over 12 cruises with cunard 

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

dont think it matters whether it be Bolo, bow tie of any colour or an ordinary tie with dark suit is perfectly acceptable

Agreed as an acceptable minimum in Formal Nights.

Remember, an acceptable minimum standard to some is perceived as being the maximum of effort by the minimum standard wearer.  Hence the divide of opinion on what the level of "effort" is actually made. - It's all in the mind of the wearer.

Was once informed by a "Dark Suit" that "Tux" wearers are overdressed for Dinner, with both he and his Wife finding the 'Penguin Procession" (his words) to the Dining Room hilarious.  It's all in the mind.

20 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agreed as an acceptable minimum in Formal Nights.

Remember, an acceptable minimum standard to some is perceived as being the maximum of effort by the minimum standard wearer.  Hence the divide of opinion on what the level of "effort" is actually made. - It's all in the mind of the wearer.

Was once informed by a "Dark Suit" that "Tux" wearers are overdressed for Dinner, with both he and his Wife finding the 'Penguin Procession" (his words) to the Dining Room hilarious.  It's all in the mind.

well they kinda do look like a penguin procession because of wearing too tight shoes and a tux they out sized years ago ....at least some women could wear sneakers under long dresses [and think no one noticed lol] 

On 9/19/2020 at 4:34 AM, Windsurfboy said:

Like lanky lad can't wait to dress up for dinner

A dark suit is fine, but why should the women have all the fun , get a Tux ( or DJ  for us Brits) , experiment with different bow ties , have the fun of tieing your own , you never saw Churchill in a straight bow tie,  get a few different cummerbands. Bring out your inner Peacock,  remember in nature it's the males who have the best plumage. 

Not a tux guy.  Might rent one if that is available through Cunard.

BTW. my screen name is from my first cruise decades ago when I taunted the ladies about getting dressed to go to the prom instead of going on vacation.

I rented a tux for that cruise.

Edited by untailored bostonian

On 9/18/2020 at 12:51 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I enjoy wearing a Tux on those given evenings that adds to the feeling that I look forward to on our sailings. Many other passengers add to the Elegance with the same dress. Yes it is personal choice. 

Yes I do use a regular suit on the Informal nights. We abide by the dress code for that special experience we look forward each time we return and sail on her. 

. Hope you catch the Cunard Bug to return.

Going formal is a bit against the grain for me.  I find it a tad classist. Nonetheless,  I recognize that Cunard is what it is.  That said I intend to fit in as much as is tolerable.

By casual dining is that jacket required?  I eould hope shirt and tie was adequate.  I tend to just wear a vest to look sharp.

Can one rent a tux on board?

On 9/18/2020 at 8:23 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

One small part of the Cunard Culture is their Alchol Policy, where guests are treated as responsible adults, allowing potentially 'unlimited' amounts of Wine, Beer, Spirits and Sodas to be brought on at embarkation, or at ports visited, without seizures, for in Stateroom consumption.

Now I did not know this.  So we can bring on a case of wine for the boss and Vodka for the "go-for".

What is CC etiquette for bring food back to the cabin?  I saw a tour video that mentioned excellent pizza they brought back to the room.

Is the room service menu more upscale as the rest of the ship?

On 9/18/2020 at 9:25 AM, Roger88 said:

Formal nights are those nights where people are following a certain code.. both in the way they dress and the way they behave. I believe that no matter of  the situation if an event has been announced as formal, people should follow the norms of such a formal event. 

Norm for the event, black tie or might be seen as lacking in class?

1 minute ago, untailored bostonian said:

Now I did not know this.  So we can bring on a case of wine for the boss and Vodka for the "go-for".

What is CC etiquette for bring food back to the cabin?  I saw a tour video that mentioned excellent pizza they brought back to the room.

Is the room service menu more upscale as the rest of the ship?

Answers

Alchol = Yes

Bring back what ever food you wish.  

Room Service choices are excellent with no extra charge items

Possible to rent Tux, shirt, shoes etc onboard - Go to the Pursers Desk on embarkation as not available to prebook.

Welcome to Cunard

On 9/19/2020 at 4:34 AM, Windsurfboy said:

Like lanky lad can't wait to dress up for dinner

A dark suit is fine, but why should the women have all the fun , get a Tux ( or DJ  for us Brits) , experiment with different bow ties , have the fun of tieing your own , you never saw Churchill in a straight bow tie,  get a few different cummerbands. Bring out your inner Peacock,  remember in nature it's the males who have the best plumage. 

There is a something to be said for "When in Rome ...". However, the love for dress-up seems at od with the character of relaxing on one's break.

Someone's notion of their inner peacock might simply be offensive to others. Trusted up to be married is what being in a tux means to this yank.  Have you seen those florescent tie-died tuxes? Somehow that peacock might not fit CC expectations. 🤣

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Answers

Alchol = Yes

Bring back what ever food you wish.  

Room Service choices are excellent with no extra charge items

Possible to rent Tux, shirt, shoes etc onboard - Go to the Pursers Desk on embarkation as not available to prebook.

Welcome to Cunard

I will most likely rent the tux then.  If I thought I might be frequenting CC in the future, maybe I'd conside buying a tux. I will also bring my go to funeral suit too.

This cruise is a bucket list cruise for our 50th.

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Not lacking in class.  

Just not showing a good level of respect for the event, the Restaurant, the ship or other Guests.

One might say that is a distinction without a difference.  A black suit must be a step up from a neon paisley Elton John knock off.

🙃🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, newjoisey said:

You would need a tux/suit in certain parts of the ship on gala nights. If you choose not to wear/bring them it . I respect the areas where it is formal which is really no bother at all.

What areas would be some what off limit?

The buffet area, Kings Court, looks very nice for a cruise ship. At dinner I'd assume that was more casual dress.

We're 11 month out, covid willing. Our intentions are to mingle in a CC cultured manner, mostly. It is that packing thing.  I guess I'll skip those "pack in one carry-on for a months vacation" videos.